PDA

View Full Version : Are symbols important to you.

vidcc
05-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Flags, national anthems or religious symbols etc.

Do you get offended if they are shown "disrespect"?

Watching the news and reading views about the spanish version of the US anthem I was amazed at how offended people were about it.
I have never been one for worshiping symbolic objects so it seems a tad odd to me. I can understand indignity at someone saying bad things about us but to me singing our anthem in any language is a compliment.

With flags I am not worried if someone burns a US flag....It's another thing if they burn a US citizen.

I understand that it's what the symbol represents but I am wondering why all the fuss. It seems like a whole load of fuss made over something small when we have real problems that need fixing....... Could it be a diversion :unsure:

Fromagepas
05-02-2006, 12:21 AM

Watching the news and reading views about the spanish version of the US anthem I was amazed at how offended people were about it.
I have never been one for worshiping symbolic objects so it seems a tad odd to me. I can understand indignity at someone saying bad things about us but to me singing our anthem in any language is a compliment.

With flags I am not worried if someone burns a US flag....It's another thing if they burn a US citizen.

I understand that it's what the symbol represents but I am wondering why all the fuss. It seems like a whole load of fuss made over something small when we have real problems that need fixing....... Could it be a diversion :unsure:

I like your American Atheist Avatar, it's very becoming.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/image.php?u=58678&dateline=1146150003

manker
05-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Sure, I respect the idea behind some symbols.

I'd never do something like sing the Welsh National Anthem in English or tear a Welsh flag up but I wouldn't get offended if someone else did this. I'd form an opinion that this person is a bit of a idiot but I wouldn't be offended in the least that he or she didn't have respect for the same things that I hold dear. As a matter of fact, if some person went to the length of tearing up a flag that symbolises something I hold dear, I'd be quite glad that this odd chap didn't subscribe to my ideal.

By the same token, in general I won't disrespect other people's ideals. I'm not a believer in the Christian faith, or any others, but I won't make disparaging comments about things that are important to them. I prefer to have respect for their beliefs and not make comments designed to jibe them for having faith in something which I do not.

However, I am particularly comfortable with pushing badinage to its limit :)

Busyman™
05-02-2006, 01:01 AM

Sure. Now whether I'd take action in the action in the matter would depend on the circumstances, I guess.

I remember some father and son trying to burn our flag on the baseball field during a game and a player running and snatching the flag away.

That seemed prudent. I'd deem it offensive if someone said, "Fuck America" unless they were joking.

I think someone singing the national anthem in Spanish just strengthened the resolve of many against illegal immigrants.

Nice going.

I might think it over the top to kick someone's ass over a flag burning though. However, I wouldn't be too salty about it either.

It's kinda like the fella that runs his mouth then gets punched in it in mid-sentence.

vidcc
05-02-2006, 01:32 AM
I think someone singing the national anthem in Spanish just strengthened the resolve of many against illegal immigrants.

just a question on this.........

If an iraqi living in iraq that supports the USA action there, sang our anthem to show his support, but in his own languge..... is that offensive?

Busyman™
05-02-2006, 03:12 AM

just a question on this.........

If an iraqi living in iraq that supports the USA action there, sang our anthem to show his support, but in his own languge..... is that offensive?
No. His intention is to show support and he is probably ignorant of it being disrespectful to many to sing it in another language.

Now the context of this Spanishizing the anthem is not a show of support. It is a feigning of support while in protest.

"We are the backbone of what America is, legal or illegal, it doesn't matter"
Of course it does.

Others were more irreverent, wearing T-shirts that read "I'm illegal. So what?"

The boycott was organized by immigrant activists angered by federal legislation that would criminalize illegal immigrants and fortify the U.S-Mexico border.

The problem is the context is why folks are singing the national anthem in Spanish. I look at it as a hijack due to the fact that they simply are saying to the American government, "Fuck you. I snuck in here so make me a legal citizen and don't even think of trying to keep the rest of my countrymen out of your country."

As I said before, there are folks who go about becoming a citizen the right way. I deem it offensive for them to sing the anthem in Spanish under the veil of protest of our laws.

I hope the folks who left work to protest get fired.
I wish the illegals were shipped out en masse.
I wish businesses who employ illegals were criminalized since they fuel the fire by shortcutting labor. That would short circuit the problem quickly and better than a huge fence.

Maybe the business paradigm would shift from discounting the American worker.

fkdup74
05-02-2006, 05:10 AM
The boycott was organized by immigrant activists angered by federal legislation that would criminalize illegal immigrants and fortify the U.S-Mexico border.

See, this is the part I don't get. Crimilize it how?
It's already illegal for fuck's sake.

But aside from that.....you DC people musn't be very up to date on agriculture.
Those immigrants keep the farms going.
I live in Southern California, I see it every day, so just trust me on that.
Does it make what they are doing right? Not exactly.
But, if America would reform welfare and get every one off their lazy asses,
maybe the farmers wouldn't have to hire immigrants.
True, they get migrant labor at a much cheaper rate, but let's be honest...
Most Americans are just too fucking lazy to do the work.

The problem is the context is why folks are singing the national anthem in Spanish. I look at it as a hijack due to the fact that they simply are saying to the American government, "Fuck you. I snuck in here so make me a legal citizen and don't even think of trying to keep the rest of my countrymen out of your country."

They said all of that during the singing? Really? Was it, like, subliminal?

Cheese
05-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Why can't the American anthem be sung in Spanish? The English version starts off by addressing some guy called "José" . . . :dabs:

Chip Monk
05-02-2006, 08:38 AM
The British national anthem is cool, it speaks of battering the Scottish into the ground and giving them a right good seeing to (paraphrase). Which is unfortunate, given that the Scottish (or at least some of them) then sing it. It's a laugh on the very odd occasion that a Scottish person wins something at international level and then receives their medal to the strains of "you're a cunt".

What sort of place keeps a national anthem which pointedly extoles the virtues of the oppression of a substantial section of it's citizenry. In whatever language.

Barbarossa
05-02-2006, 08:52 AM

No, not really.

vidcc
05-02-2006, 02:31 PM
No. His intention is to show support and he is probably ignorant of it being disrespectful to many to sing it in another language. But why is it disrespectful?

Perhaps before making a resolution in the house lawmakers should think about making English the official language. But to me this goes against free expression. The same with flag burning, the flag belongs to us all so if an American citizen wishes to burn his own flag why should that be made a criminal offense as some wish?
What is important is the loyalty to the meaning behind the symbols, not the symbol itself...... Does that make sense as to my position?

Now the context of this Spanishizing the anthem is not a show of support. It is a feigning of support while in protest.

Is that reality or just a perception taken on our part?
the United States Bureau of Education commissioned a Spanish-language version of "The Star Spangled Banner" en espańol way back in 1919. That was before the English version became the official anthem in 1931. (http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1911431&page=1)

Edit:

Did you know GW Bush used to sing the anthem in spanish when he dropped into hispanic "festivals" or parties "viva bush" rallies during the first presidential campaign?

GepperRankins
05-02-2006, 03:18 PM

I like your American Atheist Avatar, it's very becoming.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/image.php?u=58678&dateline=1146150003
:glag: :earl:

/pwned like a wrassler that plays an evil character, then turns round to jeer at the crowd, while not noticing the good guy sneaking up with a chair

Busyman™
05-02-2006, 08:09 PM
See, this is the part I don't get. Crimilize it how?
It's already illegal for fuck's sake.

But aside from that.....you DC people musn't be very up to date on agriculture.
Those immigrants keep the farms going.
I live in Southern California, I see it every day, so just trust me on that.
Does it make what they are doing right? Not exactly.
But, if America would reform welfare and get every one off their lazy asses,
maybe the farmers wouldn't have to hire immigrants.
True, they get migrant labor at a much cheaper rate, but let's be honest...
Most Americans are just too fucking lazy to do the work.

They said all of that during the singing? Really? Was it, like, subliminal?
Of course.

Busyman™
05-02-2006, 08:26 PM
But why is it disrespectful?

Perhaps before making a resolution in the house lawmakers should think about making English the official language. But to me this goes against free expression. The same with flag burning, the flag belongs to us all so if an American citizen wishes to burn his own flag why should that be made a criminal offense as some wish?
What is important is the loyalty to the meaning behind the symbols

Agreed. I already said intention is the key.

white guy: My mom voted you for Sheriff. I figured you musta been alright, a nigger playing football and all.

The folks singing the anthem in Spanish are the same ones wanting to hijack the law.

Is that reality or just a perception taken on our part?
the United States Bureau of Education commissioned a Spanish-language version of "The Star Spangled Banner" en espańol way back in 1919. That was before the English version became the official anthem in 1931. (http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1911431&page=1)

Edit:

Did you know GW Bush used to sing the anthem in spanish when he dropped into hispanic "festivals" or parties "viva bush" rallies during the first presidential campaign?
No. Again look at the context.

illegal: "I snuck over and stayed under your radar."
"I and a lot of others want to shortcut the law and want to be made citizens right now."
"Oh and stop building a fence to keep illegals from coming over here."
"I learned your national anthem but not your official anthem. I made some changes, Robert. Oh and from now on, I'll call you Roberto"

American: "But I want to be called Robert. IT IS MY NAME."

illegal: "Roberto, you're so silly."

vidcc
05-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Just for clarification, an american citizen of mexican ancestry, that is against illegal immigration sings it in spanish...is that offensive?

Was it offensive for GW to sing it in spanish while campaigning?

Now it seems it was sung in both English and Spanish at his first inaugural.

I understand your point suggesting it's about challenging the US instead of intergrating, and in some cases it may well be but IMO what matters is the loyalty of the person singing it and not the langauge they use to sing it.

Busyman™
05-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Just for clarification, an american citizen of mexican ancestry, that is against illegal immigration sings it in spanish...is that offensive?

Was it offensive for GW to sing it in spanish while campaigning?

Now it seems it was sung in both English and Spanish at his first inaugural.

I understand your point suggesting it's about challenging the US instead of intergrating, and in some cases it may well be but IMO what matters is the loyalty of the person singing it and not the langauge they use to sing it.
Mmk, I don't really have a problem there. Just like some people named Robert don't mind being called Roberto by a Spanish person. Some will take offense.

My thought is that a Spanish person singing the anthem in Spanish is now is not doing their 'cause any good. It's doing the opposite.

Fromagepas
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
My absolute favourite type of racist is the one who doesn't even know that they are a racist. They think they are taking a perfectly reasonable position.

In their wee head they think "I don't hate everyone from a certain ethnic background, therefore I can't be a racist".

GepperRankins
05-03-2006, 12:54 AM
i call a portugese guy pedro because it's funny :dabs:

Chip Monk
05-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Is his name Pedro?

thewizeard
05-03-2006, 08:53 AM
There are probably more Spanish speaking (singing) inhabitants in the USA than there are English.

GepperRankins
05-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Is his name Pedro?
no. that wouldn't be funny :dabs:

unless being called his own name made him angry :smilie4:

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Is his name Pedro?

Does it?

GepperRankins
05-03-2006, 11:24 PM

Does it?
no. if it did, i'd call him his real name all the time :dabs:

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Does it?
no. if it did, i'd call him his real name all the time :dabs:
So, why do you call him "Pedro"?

GepperRankins
05-03-2006, 11:41 PM
because it winds him up, obviousement.

don't worry, he's my best mate at work, i'm not just bullying a random person i see at the bus stop :dabs: