PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Colbert

ahctlucabbuS
05-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I noticed this has yet to be posted. If you're in the dark, Stephen Colbert spoke at the white house correspondents' dinner - and what a speech it was! :happy:

Basically he goes on to tell the truth about the bush administration, bush himself, and the media - with bush seated a few metres away.

"STEPHEN COLBERT ROASTS GEORGE W. BUSH - WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS' DINNER" (http://www.dailysixer.com/colbertroast.shtml)

Amazingly this story failed to reach the news, with the new york times making no reference to Colbert's speech at all (Noam Chomsky would not be surprised). Thus it were reliant on the internet to spread. (source (http://www.pej.org/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4625&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0))

lee551
05-08-2006, 06:33 PM
what are you talking about didn't reach the news? the day after all the cable news shows kept showing the damn dinner over and over and over. i saw colbert on there every time making cracks. pretty sure everyone has heard about it. :ermm:

Gripper
05-08-2006, 07:06 PM
It was good he really rips the shit out of him and he just sat there smiling,someone probably explained what was happening laters :glag:

ahctlucabbuS
05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
what are you talking about didn't reach the news? the day after all the cable news shows kept showing the damn dinner over and over and over. i saw colbert on there every time making cracks. pretty sure everyone has heard about it. :ermm:

It was merely a foot note in the papers I read, most likely because

The Washington Post, the Associated Press and Reuters all provided scant coverage of Colbert’s appearance.

Hence I only caught this last night by word of mouth, off a blog.

The leading media outlets were apparently “not amused” either by Colbert’s performance. Remarkably, Elizabeth Bumiller of the New York Times, in her account of the dinner, failed to mention Colbert’s name! She recounts in some detail the appearance of Steve Bridges, a Bush impersonator, who collaborated with Bush in a skit. Bumiller diligently reports about the preparations for the Bridges-Bush act (“Last Friday was the dress rehearsal with Mr. Bridges in the White House family theater. Mr. Bartlett and Joshua B. Bolten, the new White House chief of staff, attended, but many other senior aides were kept out to keep it secret. Mr. Bush and Mr. Bridges did two straight run-throughs”), but never makes a single reference to Colbert’s 20-minute monologue, in which the White House Press corps, of which Bumiller is a member, came under attack for its cowardice.

(source in original post)

lee551
05-08-2006, 11:49 PM
i watched tucker carlson do a report about colbert's routine. carlson claimed that colbert "bombed" at the dinner, saying that he himself was there and it just plain wasn't funny.

after watching the online videos however, i thought it was pretty damn great. i heard about as much laughter as i would expect at a pasty, stale washington dinner.

i really got a kick out of the NSA wiretaps-speak into your table number part. :lol:

Smith
05-09-2006, 12:52 AM
The Colbert Report and The Daily Show are my two favourite shows on TV right now. With all the crap going in the world right now, its good to see someone having a laugh about it.

Seedler
05-09-2006, 02:52 AM
American news.:dry:

Wait, that's liek world news.

ahctlucabbuS
05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Hallelujah!

More need to watch this.

Skiz
05-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Basically he goes on to tell the truth about the bush administration, bush himself, and the media - with bush seated a few metres away.

It's a Roast ffs....that's the point. :ermm: