PDA

View Full Version : Novels (adventure And Fiction!)

sg6
04-28-2003, 06:50 PM
hi folks!

i like to read novels on fiction and adventure! (plz tell me ur likes too!) and need some novels!!

plz tell me the best adventure and fiction based novels that r avail. and the novels that u read too!!

thanks!

Skillian
04-28-2003, 07:57 PM
Not really adventure but "The Shining" is still my favourite book. Still creeps me out when I read it :o

Infested Cats
04-28-2003, 08:05 PM
A Clockwork Orange
The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy
Catcher in the Rye

Those are my favorite books off the top of my head

J'Pol
04-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Infested Cats@28 April 2003 - 21:05
A Clockwork Orange
The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy
Catcher in the Rye

Those are my favorite books off the top of my head
How eclectic of you.

Rat Faced
04-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Comedy:

Any of the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett
HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy Series
Brentford Triology by Robert Rankin

Horror:

Necroscope series by Brian Lumley

SiFi/Fantasy:

Anything.......but Asimov and Heinlein are my real heros in SiFi

Curley
04-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Most interesting book i've read recently (where I couldn't put it down) was Licifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle. Heres a review:

The gigantic comet had slammed into Earth, forging earthquakes a thousand times too powerful to measure on the Richter scale, tidal waves thousands of feet high. Cities were turned into oceans; oceans turned into steam. It was the beginning of a new Ice Age and the end of civilization. But for the terrified men and women chance had saved, it was also the dawn of a new struggle for survival--a struggle more dangerous and challenging than any they had ever known....

My other favourite books are:

The Stand - Stephen King
Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy
'48 - James Herbert
On the Road - Jack Kerouac

In fact, add anything by Stpehen King & James Herbert to that list.

I love reading, I could talk about books forever!

Skweeky
04-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Catcher in the rye - J.D. Salinger
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
Spider - Patrick McGrath
The Discworld Series - Terry Pratchett
The unbearable lightness of being - Milan Kundera
Grotesque - Patrick McGrath

those are my favourites, when I think of more, i'll post them

WeeMouse
04-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Me likes:
Lord of the Rings (read it for the first time this year!)
The Hobbit
Harry Potter books

Beginning to read the Discworld series too!

Lamsey recommends the Falco series by Lindsey Davis
He says you should read them in order tho!

Skillian
04-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Forgot to add Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson and Mr Nice by Howard Marks - not really fiction though.

Curley, that Licifer's (Lucifer's?) Hammer sounds really good - I think I might pick it up.

Curley
04-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@28 April 2003 - 23:11
Curley, that Licifer's (Lucifer's?) Hammer sounds really good - I think I might pick it up.
It is, only thing thats a bit off putting is that its based in the 60's, but its still a good read. If your serious about reading it, you may find it hard to get a copy. Let me know, I might be able to help :)

Skillian
04-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Very nice of you to offer Curley, but I just found a used copy on amazon.co.uk. Winging it's way to me this week for £1.75 (£4.50 with p&p). Not bad eh? Thanks for the recommendation :)

Curley
04-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Hey, thats where I got mine from lol. I just hope you enjoy it though, I hate to think i've caused you to spend money for something you don't like!

Skillian
04-28-2003, 10:47 PM
If I don't like it I will throw £4.50's worth of peanuts at you! :P

Seriously, picking a book is always kind of luck of the draw so I won't mind even if it doesn't turn out to be to my taste. But it does sound like my sort of thing, and even if I don't like it maybe I'll sell it on amazon and make a bit of profit! :lol:

J'Pol
04-28-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@28 April 2003 - 23:00
Spider - Patrick McGrath

those are my favourites, when I think of more, i'll post them
Kurt Vonnegut is the greatest ever American author.

Have you read "God Bless You Mr Rosewater (Pearls before Swine)" the first time I read that I was in my early teens. It is an experience I will never forget.

I also like the Discworld books, excellent and surprisingly deep stuff.

insanebassman
04-28-2003, 10:59 PM
Almost anything Stephen King
Anything Piers Anthony
All the series by David Eddings
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series
Anything Asimov
Anything Terry Goodkind
Douglas Adams (Dirk Gently and Hitch Hiker series)
Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles
The Iliad
Dante's Inferno (Devin Comedy, what ever)
The Bible, Qu'ran and Kabala (SP?)
Almost any Dean Koontz
Terry Pratchet

I do not have favorite books, just authors and whatever I see that catches my fancy at the moment. (That is how I got into the Xanth series.)

Farenhiet 451 was good, as a single mention

the list continues!

pyromonkey
04-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@28 April 2003 - 20:57
Not really adventure but "The Shining" is still my favourite book. Still creeps me out when I read it :o
YES YES the shining is my favorite book ever! much better than the movie... i'm still trying to find sources for the miniseries(the miniseries is supposed to stick to the book much more than the movie did)

Skweeky
04-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by JmiF+28 April 2003 - 23:51--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 28 April 2003 - 23:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Skweeky@28 April 2003 - 23:00
Spider - Patrick McGrath

those are my favourites, when I think of more, i&#39;ll post them
Kurt Vonnegut is the greatest ever American author.

Have you read "God Bless You Mr Rosewater (Pearls before Swine)" the first time I read that I was in my early teens. It is an experience I will never forget.

I also like the Discworld books, excellent and surprisingly deep stuff. [/b][/quote]
No, I only read two Vonnegut books so far I&#39;m afraid, can&#39;t remember the title of the other one right now.

The discworld series are just wonderful. Every time I read a book again I discover new jokes in it, just love it.

MagicNakor
04-28-2003, 11:32 PM
See, more reason for a Bookworld. :lol:

I can&#39;t say I have any favourite books. It&#39;d be unfair to the other books. So here are the books that are sitting on my desk right now. ;)

Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
Hitchhiker&#39;s Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts - Douglas Adams
A Song of Fire and Ice (series): George R.R. Martin
Bullfinch&#39;s Mythology - Thomas Bullfinch
The Prince - Nicolo Machiavelli
Illusions - Richard Bach

:ninja:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
04-28-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@28 April 2003 - 18:32
See, more reason for a Bookworld. :lol:

:D I have to agree MagicNakor.Just reading this thread has got me thinking about Books again.

Lords knows I have worried to much about Music the past year and need to maybe start moving on to other things that are not Evil like Movies are. :D

Rat Faced
04-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Another great Author is Raymond Feist.....and his Riftwar Saga ie Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness in Sethanon.

He&#39;s wrote loads of great books based on this world, but you need to read that set of books first. ;)

MagicNakor
04-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Well, the newer books really aren&#39;t on par, unfortunately.

hobbes
04-29-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by pyromonkey+29 April 2003 - 00:02--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pyromonkey @ 29 April 2003 - 00:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Skillian@28 April 2003 - 20:57
YES YES the shining is my favorite book ever&#33; much better than the movie... i&#39;m still trying to find sources for the miniseries(the miniseries is supposed to stick to the book much more than the movie did)[/b][/quote]
I think book vs movie preference all boils down to what you experienced first.

I prefer the movie, not only Nicholson, but for Lloyd the bartender and Scatman Cruthers.

Shelly Duvall is a visual emetic, they could have done better there.

Movie perks:

1)the hedge maze

There was no hedge maze in the book, but rather animal shaped hedges which didn&#39;t work for me.

2) The climax- when Wendy realizes that he has been insane all along as everything he has typed is: all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". "Yea, like it?

3) The twins: Come play with us, forever, and ever and ever.

I can&#39;t remember the author, but "Dead and buried" is a fun read.

Peter Straub: Ghost Story- also a movie with John Houseman and Fred Astaire.

Do yourself a favor and watch "The Fog" by John Carpenter- great b movie- haven&#39;t read the book.

Skweeky
04-29-2003, 02:27 AM
and some more:

Waterschip Down - Richard Adams
Money - Martin Amis
Brave New World- Aldous Huxley
1984 - George Orwell
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Mr Stone and the Knight&#39;s Companion - VS Naipaul
Love and other demons - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Crash - JG Ballard (good movie too btw)
Waiting for Godot - Samuel Beckett
Péplum - Amélie Nothomb
Fear and Trembling - Amélie Nothomb (if possible, read in french, it&#39;s hilarious)
The Divine Monster - Tom Lanoye
Generation X - Douglas Coupland
Life after god - Douglas Coupland

I&#39;ll try to think of some more, but these are all pretty good books ;)

kAb
04-29-2003, 02:44 AM
i like tom clancy books.

And non-fiction books about the CIA.

right now i&#39;m reading "A brief history of Time" by Stephen Hawking. So far it is EXCELLENT.

http://www.psyclops.com/graphics/hkg-brfhsta.gif

edit:pic

Z
04-29-2003, 03:03 AM
kab - what a nerd. :lol: >>> :geek:

ClubDiggler
04-29-2003, 03:13 AM
My two most read authors for fiction are:

Nelson Demille (Charm&#39;s school, Gold Coast, Plum Island, etc)
Michael Crichton (Sphere, Congo, Prey, etc)

They are great&#33;&#33;&#33; B)

Bring on Bookworld baby.....

kAb
04-29-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Z@28 April 2003 - 19:03
kab - what a nerd. :lol: >>> :geek:
lol, thats what i thought also... but its actually really god damn interesting... :geek:

j2k4
04-29-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Curley@28 April 2003 - 16:50
Most interesting book i&#39;ve read recently (where I couldn&#39;t put it down) was Licifer&#39;s Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle. Heres a review:

The gigantic comet had slammed into Earth, forging earthquakes a thousand times too powerful to measure on the Richter scale, tidal waves thousands of feet high. Cities were turned into oceans; oceans turned into steam. It was the beginning of a new Ice Age and the end of civilization. But for the terrified men and women chance had saved, it was also the dawn of a new struggle for survival--a struggle more dangerous and challenging than any they had ever known....

"Lucifer&#39;s Hammer" is a GOOD read-tells the same basic story as "The Stand", (the end of the world as we know it) only better written, and with fewer pages.

Also must recommend "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand-a daunting read, but well worth the effort.

clocker
04-29-2003, 05:01 AM
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy O&#39;Toole

Nueromancer by William Gibson

anything by James Ellroy

soopaman
04-29-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by kAb@29 April 2003 - 03:44

right now i&#39;m reading "A brief history of Time" by Stephen Hawking. So far it is EXCELLENT.

Got to agree there, "A Brief history of Time" is a fascinating read but it can be hard to understand later on. I can recommend books by John Gribbin on the same kind of topic, "In Search of Schrodingers Cats" + "In Search of The Big Bang". He has written loads more and all the ones I&#39;ve read have been really interesting and accessable.

My current reading list:

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis ( Top Black Comedy)

Snowblind - Robert Sabbag

Anything by James Ellroy. The BEST american author ever in my opinion. Truly sleazy, twisted tales&#33;&#33; Dudley Smith is the greatest literary bad guy ever.

The Battle for the Falklands - Max Hastings

Batman:The Dark Knight Strikes Again - Frank Miller

Red Rabbit - Tom Clancy

Chopper - Mark Brandon Read

I love reading - Get BOOKWORLD on the go NOW&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

:D

MagicNakor
04-29-2003, 10:46 AM
Everyone in this thread&#39;s voted for Bookworld, right? ;) Link&#39;s in my sig.

Hehe, I only ask because some people didn&#39;t even know there was a vote&#33;&#33; :o

neil1967
04-29-2003, 10:53 AM
some of my most memorable reads.

one hundred years of solitude/gabriel garcia marquez(top recomendation,
has anyone read it?)

desiree/annemarie selinko(history ain&#39;t boring,read the proof)

fluke/james herbert(you can almost smell and taste those sausages)

my wicked,wicked ways/errol flyn(can make a young man feel decrepid)

fear and loathing,the strange and terrible saga of hunter s thompson/paul
perry(unauthorized biog,jesus&#33;)

brave new world/aldous huxley(id love to take lenina to the feelies)

jetje
04-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Tom Clancey&#39;s (although nowadays it&#39;s hardly fiction) is my favorite
Love to read.... 3-4 books a month. B)

J'Pol
04-30-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by kAb@29 April 2003 - 03:44
i like tom clancy books.

Do you want to know what happens in the end ..........

soopaman
04-30-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by JmiF+30 April 2003 - 08:23--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 30 April 2003 - 08:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--kAb@29 April 2003 - 03:44
i like tom clancy books.

Do you want to know what happens in the end .......... [/b][/quote]

I think we&#39;d all like to know that. Will time and space come to an end?? Will anyone be around to know anyway?? :(

sg6
04-30-2003, 05:51 PM
hey guys&#33;

really thanks for all that info&#33;&#33; i really appreciated it&#33;

could anyone of u plz shed more light on "Discworld series"?? is the novel a series of novels?? if so plz could u name them (it they hv a title&#33;&#33;)

thanks again&#33;&#33;

J'Pol
04-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Look here

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...7&t=23713&st=15 (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=23713&st=15)

under Terry Pratchet.

It&#39;s a series of novels. They can be read seperately, however you lose some of the meaning if you haven&#39;t read previous ones. Recurring characters, themes etc.

If you like Fantasy Humour these are some of the best.