PDA

View Full Version : LASIK Eye Surgery

BawA
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
hi guys
here is the thing...
next monday am going to have a LASIK Eye Surgery, am just a bit scared and i want ur opinion, what u think, ist safe to do it? ist worth of doing it?
so far all ive heared and read on the net is that its safe but not totaly safe and the chances that something might go wrong is below 1%, but the eye is something that u wont get a 2nd chance on it so please give me ur honest opinions and experiances cuz its depends on the reply u guys gonna give if i would go for it or not.

Barbarossa
05-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Nobody really knows the long-term effects of laser eye surgery, because it hasn't been around for long enough.

I mean, during the course of your life, your eyesight could change dramatically, so you could be spending all this money now, and still need to wear glasses in 10 years time or so.

Aside - I've been short-sighted since I was about 14, but the last time I went to the opticians, my eyesight is now in fact improving, as my eyes get older and the muscles that control focusing get weaker. :smilie4:

Have you thought about daily disposable contact lenses? Very convenient, quite cheap now, and you can change your prescription whenever you need to.

Just realised you haven't actually told us what's wrong with your eyesight, so maybe this doesn't apply to you.

Why do you want surgery anyway? :geek:

BigBank_Hank
05-11-2006, 04:16 PM
It funny you ask because last night I had to get a new pair of glasses because I stepped on mine and I asked the doctor about it. What he said was that the majority of people that have it done it will help but it’s a short term solution and that most people end up back in glasses.

For example it wouldn’t be worth it for me to do it because I have astigmatism so bad that it probably would be worth the money.

nerval
05-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Have you noticed that all the doctors doing the op wear glasses?
My view is that if it were as good as all that, they'd have it done.

It's unlikely to make you blind, but if you look on the web there many potential side-effects that are not often publicised, but hell to live with - dry eyes that need constant drops or goggles, inability to see at night as the cut is of smaller diameter than the open pupil; need to redo the op several times.

It's not a trivial procedure, despite them trying to sell it like sweets or newspapers, and once done it can't be undone.

Apart from the side effects, successful correction of vision depends on your prescription - for very minor short sight, will probably not need glasses; -4 and above, you're getting a bit iffy and they can't always predict the result correctly.
Minus 8 and above, they can't correct enough to stop you needing glasses .

And age 45plus, you'll need glasses for reading anyway.

I considered it (severe short sight) and chose daily disposable lenses instead. My brother (moderate short sight) had it done, claimed it was successful, but last I heard was putting drops in many times a day, years after the op.

Sorry if it's not what you want to hear.

Elton John has had implants I gather, which from what I hear seems to be replacing the eye's lens with one of a different strength - a bit like after a cataract. May be a bit more reliable option.

Busyman™
05-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Try the See Clearly method.:naughty:

I've been wearing contacts since the 8th grade. I wear disposables now.

I pay $35 every 2 years for contacts and exam. LASIK would barely on the radar.

I thought about back when there was rK and prK but couldn't justify the money spent.

I have no problem with contacts.

lynx
05-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Re Hank's comments about astigmatism, that's one of the things lasik tratment is particularly good at curing. Older treatments couldn't sort it out though.

The problems and poor results nerval speaks of are typical of the old prk treatment, which is probably what his brother had done since lasik hasn't been around that long.

Prk removes the outer protective layer of the eye which has to grow back. Results are unpredictable because they don't know how thick it will grow back. Night vision can be poor because it may end up being slightly cloudy. Pain can result if it doesn't grow back thick enough.

With lasik the top layer is detatched, then the laser treatment takes place and finally the top layer is replaced. The chances of the problems associated with prk are drastically reduced, but not eliminated.

If you need glasses anyway then after 45 you'll probably need 2 pairs or expensive bifocals/varifocals, and even if you use contacts you will still need glasses for reading.

Lens replacement is really only recommended for people with really poor eyesight - Elton John was nearly blind without glasses. The risks with lens replacement are much higher. A friend had it done because of cataracts. It went wrong and he was in agony for 6 months until it was safe to remove the faulty lens, followed by being virtually blind in that eye for 2 years because they can't repeat the op until the eye has recovered from the first attempt.

See if you can find some people who have had lasik treatment done, especially at the same clinic. Their recommendations are far better than you'll get from a web forum.

cpt_azad
05-11-2006, 11:12 PM
I considered it, but I'm okay with glasses. I dont' like contact lenses that much, kind of an uncomfartable feeling but that's just me. Not to mention you have to be 21 or something to get laser eye surgery done here. And as pointed out many times, you're just gonna end up getting glasses down the road anyway. It's a very short term kind of thing, you'll have excellent vision for a few years (with some sideaffects) and then BAM back to glasses again (or whatever you use).

And ya, we don't know the long term affects of Laser surgery, hasn't been around for too long.

BawA
05-12-2006, 05:23 AM
the eye surgon who i went to said that eye sight damages till age of 20 and remains untouched from there so if i do the lasik there is very small percentage that it goes week after a period of time but its unlikly to happen.
so far what ive heared from my near ones they say its risky and they have seen people having problem after doin LASER(not Lasik), doc said there r much sideEfficts in the laser but with lasik chances r as low as 1%.
can u guys tell me how u know that this sloution is kinda temporery? as u said lasik havent been arround that long so how u can say that?

@Barbarossa
the only reason am doing this is what uve been talking about on ur reply, eyesight.
contact lenses... i dont like the removing and replacing part, they have many problems, they drop down, some times they move from thier spots and few more things, during the day i never remove my glasses except when i sleep.

and am 22years so am a lasik candidate.

more reply please.

Yoga
05-12-2006, 05:39 AM
How did you find this surgeon

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/LASIK/risks.htm

You are brave, because this could go great or go very wrong. Or it could go good in the beginning and deteriorate a year after.

nerval
05-12-2006, 06:33 AM
The problems and poor results nerval speaks of are typical of the old prk treatment, which is probably what his brother had done since lasik hasn't been around that long.

No, it's Lasik. And the problems are with Lasik as well.
Trouble is the surgeon is selling you the op - he's not going to talk you out of it.
Has he had it done himself?

There are worse things than having to wear glasses - or indeed contacts.

Barbarossa
05-12-2006, 08:43 AM
can u guys tell me how u know that this sloution is kinda temporery? as u said lasik havent been arround that long so how u can say that?

Well, lasik hasn't been around that long, so how can you say it's not temporary? :P

@Barbarossa
the only reason am doing this is what uve been talking about on ur reply, eyesight.
contact lenses... i dont like the removing and replacing part, they have many problems, they drop down, some times they move from thier spots and few more things, during the day i never remove my glasses except when i sleep.

and am 22years so am a lasik candidate.

more reply please.

Well, it's true that contact lenses do not suit everybody. I need to wear glasses all the time, and chose to wear contacts at about the same age you are now. My eyes seemed to take to them easily, and I've never had any problems. The first ones I had, involved alot of cleaning and looking after, but now I've got daily disposables, it's so easy, you just put them in at the start of the day, then take them out at the end of the day and flush them down the sink.

Anyway, you seem to know more than me about LASIK, I would just say if you did go ahead with it, you're braver than me. Good luck!

hippychick
05-12-2006, 12:23 PM
I had Lasik done 2 years ago and havent had any problems.
It was worth the money I spent!!!
I was very nearsighted and I couldnt wear contacts because my eyes didnt water enough and they hurt to wear them and I hated glasses.

The only drawback I have, is now I am farsighted. If your nearsighted is very bad it will make you farsighted when you have lasik. The doctor told me I would have to wear reading glasses before I even had lasik done. But I would rather wear reading glasses for a short periode of the day then glasses all the time.

If you get lasik make sure you have plugs put in.
What plug do is plug your tear duct so your eyes stay watered all the time. Then you dont have to worry about dry eyes and putting drops in all the time.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Barbarossa
05-12-2006, 12:42 PM
I had Lasik done 2 years ago and havent had any problems.
It was worth the money I spent!!!
I was very nearsighted and I couldnt wear contacts because my eyes didnt water enough and they hurt to wear them and I hated glasses.

The only drawback I have, is now I am farsighted. If your nearsighted is very bad it will make you farsighted when you have lasik. The doctor told me I would have to wear reading glasses before I even had lasik done. But I would rather wear reading glasses for a short periode of the day then glasses all the time.

If you get lasik make sure you have plugs put in.
What plug do is plug your tear duct so your eyes stay watered all the time. Then you dont have to worry about dry eyes and putting drops in all the time.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

You don't work in advertising by any chance do you? :blink:

nerval
05-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Anyway, I'd be fascinated to hear how BawA gets on with it and whether there are any drawbacks experienced, or whether it all goes swimmingly and everything is perfect.

hippychick
05-12-2006, 01:02 PM
You don't work in advertising by any chance do you? :blink:
hehehe No :no2: ...curious, why do you ask?

You know though, way back in my college days I did take a Journalism class for an easy A :D

Barbarossa
05-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Anyway, I'd be fascinated to hear how BawA gets on with it and whether there are any drawbacks experienced, or whether it all goes swimmingly and everything is perfect.

I'd guess things to do with eyesight going swimmingly would be a bit of a drawback :pinch:

@hippychick, I only wondered because you glossed over the downside of your own experience... :unsure: (See where I quoted you before, highlighted in red. If you didn't see that then..... ummm...... eye-test required?)

hippychick
05-12-2006, 07:39 PM
@hippychick, I only wondered because you glossed over the downside of your own experience... :unsure: (See where I quoted you before, highlighted in red. If you didn't see that then..... ummm...... eye-test required?)
awe lol I get it now...no not a eye test...Just a blonde lol

There's alot involved in gettting your eyes done, dont get me wrong.
I just didnt feel like typing it all in.
The whole lasik process takes about 3 hours once your getting it done.(prep work)
Its very uncomforable when they begin the lasik process. They put drops in your eyes to to deadin them, they have to streach your eye socket out with some tool and then when they begin you have to stare into a dot and they use a vacume to pull your eye out so they can cut your conrea and use the lasar.
Your told you can not move your head or look away from the dot at any time.
The lasar part only takes around 20 seconds per eye.
Afterwards you have to wear dark shades when out in the sun for about 24 hours and you have to put antiboitic and saline drops in your eyes and sleep in goggles for 2 weeks so you wont rub your eyes in your sleep
so your conrnea can heal.

No, it really doesnt bother me to wear reading glasses at all...most the time I dont wear them. I just hold things far enough away to read lol

BawA
05-13-2006, 01:03 PM
awe lol I get it now...no not a eye test...Just a blonde lol

There's alot involved in gettting your eyes done, dont get me wrong.
I just didnt feel like typing it all in.
The whole lasik process takes about 3 hours once your getting it done.(prep work)
Its very uncomforable when they begin the lasik process. They put drops in your eyes to to deadin them, they have to streach your eye socket out with some tool and then when they begin you have to stare into a dot and they use a vacume to pull your eye out so they can cut your conrea and use the lasar.
Your told you can not move your head or look away from the dot at any time.
The lasar part only takes around 20 seconds per eye.
Afterwards you have to wear dark shades when out in the sun for about 24 hours and you have to put antiboitic and saline drops in your eyes and sleep in goggles for 2 weeks so you wont rub your eyes in your sleep
so your conrnea can heal.

No, it really doesnt bother me to wear reading glasses at all...most the time I dont wear them. I just hold things far enough away to read lol

i think ur talking about old methods, doc said the entire prosses will take 30 mins including eye scan the accutal surgory will only take 1 min and i can continue in same day or other and there is no need for 2 weeks(which was needed in previous menthos(laser not lasik)).anyway am going for final consulation today and decide wther t go on no.
ill make a list of what i need to know before i take any step forward and can u guys recommend me what to the doc.

hippychick
05-13-2006, 01:56 PM
No, it was lasik surgery.
But I'm sure after 2 years the methods and procedures have changed and doesnt take nearly as long as before.

Just make sure you get the plugs, they will keep your eyes watered and you cant tell there even in your eyes.:)

BawA
05-13-2006, 02:05 PM
guys am readin this site about lasik and its shows some horrible vision efficts after lasik .
http://www.lasikdisaster.com

lynx
05-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Don't forget that the people on that site aren't necessarily being entirely honest about their intentions - there's big money to be made from medical malpractice lawsuits.

Peerzy
05-14-2006, 12:39 AM
I don't need glasses and have perfect eye sight, but if i didn't i wouldn't even consider getting this done. The same reason why everytime i get that sharp pain in my chest/heart i tell myself that if i get it checked out they'll tell me something bad and fuck up my life. It's just un-needed.

Why can you not just wear glasses? Also what country do you live in? I know it's near the middle east and you must remember the person is going to get minted doing it, so they will do anything to get you to agree. If the op goes wrong they still have your money, you have no eyes.

Everose
05-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Bawa, I scheduled this surgery a few years back. I don't have to wear glasses unless I am doing a lot of close work for extended periods of time. I am near-sighted in one eye and far-sighted in the other.

However, they told me I was a perfect candidate for the lasix surgery.

I showed up for the surgery, and this eye surgeon prepared a pair of contacts for me right before the surgery to show me exactly what the results would be for me after the surgery.

I hope your surgeon does this also.

While those contacts helped my distance vision, they would have made it impossible for me to pick up a newspaper and read it without reading glasses. I was not ready to go there and cancelled the surgery last minute.

Can you ask if your surgeon does this first for patients?

BawA
05-14-2006, 01:39 PM
i went for a last consulation with the surgen, i told what are my fears he simply told me not to do it if i feel scared, he said its a cosmatic and not a nessesory thing to do so i can cancel it, the one thing i knew is that this doc is not pushing me to do the surgery.
i took another doc's number to check what he say.
btw most common problem with lasik that i came to know it(from here and dozens of site) is wearing glasess for the reading which i hate to do it after paying 5000.AED :lol:

hippychick
05-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Wearing reading glasses for a short period of time or wearing glasses all the time...I chose reading glasses.
But unless your very nearsighted or over 40 the surgery probably wont effect your farsite all that much, that you will need to wear reading glasses.

I don't know how much has changed over the last two years. But I do know from when I had it done, that correcting nearsitedness and farsitedness are two different procedures and use two different machines and the farsitness takes twice as long to have done.

My doctor told me that they hadn't perfected correcting farsitness as much as nearsitedness and he didn't recommend me getting both done for the long term damage it may cause.

Busyman™
05-15-2006, 01:43 AM
I hated wearing glasses. They are shit for sports....and the ladies.:naughty:

I don't see why people have such problems with contacts. I've been wearing them since the 8th grade. If an 8th grader can handle it, surely an adult can.

All it takes is sufficient motivation to put something in your eye. You'll get desensitized to it. It's funny how I've seen people give up on their first stab at it.

suprafreak6
05-15-2006, 02:59 AM
how much are you paying?

lynx
05-15-2006, 10:31 AM
I hated wearing glasses. They are shit for sports....and the ladies.:naughty:

I don't see why people have such problems with contacts. I've been wearing them since the 8th grade. If an 8th grader can handle it, surely an adult can.

All it takes is sufficient motivation to put something in your eye. You'll get desensitized to it. It's funny how I've seen people give up on their first stab at it.My brother wore contacts for several years. Then he got an infection and was advised to stop wearing them or he could lose his sight. Everything has its risks.

He's tried again since and they are now just too painful to wear. It's not that your eyes get desensitized, but simply that your brain learns that you aren't going to do anything about the moderate irritation. But for some people the pain is simply too great, different pain thresholds and all that.

BawA
05-15-2006, 11:56 AM
how much are you paying?
1,361.37$

Barbarossa
05-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Well, for £6.99, you might as well go for it! :smilie4:

MagicNakor
05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
I usually wear glasses, because my contacts give me terrible headaches if they're in too long (something to do with the actual focus, and they will trigger migraines on occassion). They also tend to dry my eyes out horribly, and have a painful tendency to actually get stuck and unable to remove for an additional hour or so. It's not so much a low pain threshold with that...

:shuriken:

DanB
05-16-2006, 04:51 PM
go for it bawa, I mean whats the worse that happen?

Being blind isn't too bad, you get a dog, big white stick and a speaking watch for starters :01:

Barbarossa
05-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Also a cheaper TV licence. :blink:

Emmylee
05-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I'd only consider doing it when I'm much older and my eyesight hadn't improved.

I didn't think you could get it done if you had astigmatism.. that's why I haven't given it much thought. I know if you're long sighted it doesn't work.. or so I've heard.

I'd say wait till you're older. Then, if you really think you need it, do it :)

Virtualbody1234
05-17-2006, 09:05 PM
hi guys
here is the thing...
next monday am going to have a LASIK Eye Surgery,
So... How did the surgery go?

BawA
05-18-2006, 02:28 AM
hmm i didnt go, u guys scared me, i talk to my surgan and delayed the suregary for the futuer.
i thought ill have some more research before i go, and btw he said the lasik is more then 22 years old now.

lynx
05-18-2006, 08:53 AM
You should have had it done at home

http://www.lasikathome.com/

lynx
05-18-2006, 09:27 AM
hmm i didnt go, u guys scared me, i talk to my surgan and delayed the suregary for the futuer.
i thought ill have some more research before i go, and btw he said the lasik is more then 22 years old now.Initial trials of LASIK procedures started in 1991. Clinical trials began in 1995.

Laser surgery in general began much earlier, about 1983, but that wasn't LASIK treatment. This is probably what your surgeon was referring to.

Will_518
05-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Is wearing glasses really that bad? If the doc messes up, you could end up blind, then you'd regret it forever.

Yoga
05-23-2006, 02:02 AM
http://www.lasikathome.com/images/four%20easy%20steps.jpg

Don't Blink - ROFL

BawA
05-23-2006, 01:29 PM
r they trying to blind people with that, the so complicated surgeroy doing ur self? how often people do the lasik to make them buy a machine, its not a shaving machine so u need it every other day.

Barbarossa
05-23-2006, 01:31 PM
r they trying to blind people with that, the so complicated surgeroy doing ur self? how often people do the lasik to make them buy a machine, its not a shaving machine so u need it every other day.

:glag:

Was that a :whoosh: moment? :unsure:

BawA
05-23-2006, 01:34 PM
??
http://www.lasikathome.com

Barbarossa
05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/permalink/lasik_at_home/

It's pretty obvious that this is a hoax. First of all, the idea of home laser surgery is clearly insane. Second, the ordering form is broken, meaning you can't buy the device, but the site does sell Cafepress t-shirts! (T-shirt sales are always a reliable hoax indicator.) Third, google ads on a supposedly commercial site are another hoax giveaway. The domain was registered anonymously via domains by proxy, so I wasn't able to find out who the author of this is. (Thanks to Captain DaFt for the link.)

:dry: