PDA

View Full Version : ~~Help With Using U-torrent~~

rejaul2005
05-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi i enabled my Protocol Encryption in my Utorrent client and its a big difference i got maximum speeds but....

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME CHOOSE THE BEST PORT NUMBERS TO USE IN MY UTORRENT CLIENT???, I HAVE SPEEDTOUCH MODEM 330 AND TISCALI 1MB BROADBAND.

PS. HOW DO I MAKE THE PORT NUMBERS IN MY CLIENT AND WITH THE WINDOWS FIREWALL???

and what is difference between protocol encrytion being enabled and disable???

Thanks

{I}{K}{E}
05-11-2006, 10:04 PM
have you checked the sticky threads? most of your questions will be answered if you read the guides

ilikechikin
05-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Port: It's probably best to use a higher port number, but you should be fine with any. I use ports in the 60,000's.

Port & Windows Firewall: Using the same port you are using with utorrent (make sure utorrent isn't set to randomize each time), go to the security settings for windows firewall. Once there you should just be able to add utorrent as an exception (go to add program and navigate to utorrent). If the port still doesn't work you can add that manually.

Protocol Encryption: If it's enabled you can send encrypted data, if it's disabled you cannot. If it's forced you send encrypted data every single time.

Anyone please feel free to correct me on any of this.

rejaul2005
05-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Hi there thanks for your reply

*can you reccommend me port numbers in between??? and

*should i leave my protocol encrytion to enabled or forced

Thanks

justinius23
05-12-2006, 02:25 PM
i use port 34210 (opened in my firewall) with encryption enabled. i have a 2mb (uncapped) tiscali line and on good torrents can get 128+ kBp/s d/l speeds.

when seeding, and not d/ling i can get upload speeds of around 50-60kBp/s.

this seems to work pretty well, i'm pretty happy with these speeds.

dabomb506
05-12-2006, 08:18 PM
i think anywhere from 6881-6990 is the original ports for bt

ilikechikin
05-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi there thanks for your reply

*can you reccommend me port numbers in between??? and

*should i leave my protocol encrytion to enabled or forced

Thanks
Ports: I would say just find a random one using the feature in utorrent (random port). Find a relatively high one you like.

Encryption: As you long as your ISP doesn't throttle your bandwidth (you'd know if they did, your speeds would be ridicuously slow) you can just leave it enabled. This way you can connect to those that have forced encryption. If you were forced you would only connect to other people with encryption enabled, and I'd say at least half (depending on the tracker) don't have encryption enabled.

rejaul2005
05-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi ive put on protocol encryption on Forced, my downloads dont start but when its on enabled it has maximum speeds ocassionaly, and my port number is on 51023, can you tell me if my settings are right???.

Ps. is there any other changes i should make???, also which is better U-torrent 1.5 or U-torrent 1.5.1 Beta??

Thanks

ilikechikin
05-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah the port is fine and enabled is fine. Utorrent 1.5 will be more stable, but you should be fine with either.

sear
05-21-2006, 05:07 PM
i think anywhere from 6881-6990 is the original ports for bt

It's best not to use these port numbers. Many internet providers throttle the speed for traffic on these ports which has prompted some trackers to ban them. Best to use something in the higher ranges that nothing else on your comp uses. or just get UTorrent to make a random one for you. just don't set it to do that each time it loads or your firewall could block the traffic :)

rejaul2005
05-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi there i have a little problem i recently recieved an email regarding Fair Usage policy basically there asking to limit my downloads cause ive been downloading big files and i'm using u-torrent with encryption on enabled and port numbers within 50000.

Ps. Please give advice on how to avoid throttles with BT and how to set my u torrent, below is the letter i recieved in my email.
=======================================
Dear Customer,

Further to the recent email regarding heavy usage; your broadband
Internet usage has again been highlighted as exceptionally high
during peak periods and is affecting the service we provide to
other customers.

Please carefully read the following email to avoid any further
warnings. This is your final warning, if you do not reduce your
usage during the peak periods we will manage your service during
the peak hours.

Please ensure read our Fair Use Policy (http://www.tiscali.co.uk/fup)
so you are clear on your obligations with regards to internet
use during the peak hours.

You may upload and download as you wish outside the peak hours;
but we ask that you are considerate when using the internet during
the peak period. Peak hours are from 6pm to 11pm Monday to Sunday.
To avoid any further heavy use warnings
we strongly recommend you adhere to the following guidelines:

o) Do not download large files during the peak periods

o) Do not use Peer-to-Peer file sharing software during peak
periods (e.g. Kazaa, BitTorrent)

o) Try and keep internet use to email and web browsing during
these times.

If you do not reduce your usage during these peak times
(6pm to 11pm) we will manage your usage. This means that
you will share bandwidth with other heavy users during
peak times instead of sharing bandwidth with normal users.
Your service will continue to be unlimited, but by sharing
bandwidth with other heavy users you are likely to experience
slower speeds during peak times.

caravan70
05-28-2006, 01:36 PM
One strategy you can employ in uTorrent is to use the scheduler (Options > Preferences > Scheduler) to limit your bandwidth usage during the 6-11 p.m. hours your ISP specifies. You can set up/down speed limits or direct the program to turn off non-forced torrents during any time period you select.

Good luck with this!

rejaul2005
05-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi is there a way where BT throttles don't find out im downloading big files with u-Torrent, can you suggest me something??????

thanks

j0hn
05-28-2006, 05:17 PM
they cant tell ur using bittorrent during these times
u need to do what caravan70 said, and use the scheduler.
ur isp is picking up that u download ALOT during peak times.
theres simply no way to hide this from them, at all, ever.
encryption only hides what "type" of download u are doing, not if ur downloading at all.

rejaul2005
05-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Hi can you tell me some of your settings towards U-torrent such as what
u-torrent ap your using??, should i put encryption on enabled or forced??, which port numbers are best???, upload speed and download speed?? set on??.

Thanks

aarkkando
05-29-2006, 08:54 AM
From my limited experience I would say that putting the encryption enabled or forced did not increase the speed for me. I think it more or less depend wheather ur ISP throttles ur bandwidth when it sees u r on to a torrent. Having said that I always have encryption on. Just in case!!!
Upload speed should be like 80% of ur upload speed. That gives the maximum efficiency for the download i suppose. I go full throttle when I am not downloading though.

rejaul2005
06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi there,

could you tell me how much i should limit my upload speed and how much i should increase my download speed with a 1mb tiscali broadband and same goes to 8mb broadbands how much should i increase and decrease my upload and download speed.

Thanks