PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Error

Curley
04-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Everytime I try to boot my computer, I get an error saying something along the lines of "Error: Keyboard Not Presant" (can't remember the exact words, i'll write it down next time I start up).

I've checked all the connections, and everthing seems OK :(. I've just done a search on google and it says my motherboard could be on its way out!

Please tell me its not true! I've only had this comp since November :(

namzuf9
04-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Do you know what motherboard youve got?
What is the exact message?

Curley
04-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Well, i've just re-started with no probs what so ever! I think it only happens when I havn't used it for a few hours. I'll have to see what it says in the morning.

As for knowing what model my motherboard is, I aint got a clue :lol:

I'll have to dig out the manuel for that :rolleyes:

Sorry, i'm hopless :(

namzuf9
04-28-2003, 10:50 PM
I had the exact same problem (my mobo is a ecs k7s5a) and it turned out to be a dodgy keyboard.
The funniest thing is it gave the message:
Error: Keyboard not detected.
Press F1 to continue
Press F2 to enter setup.
:lol:

Sarkie_2002
04-28-2003, 10:52 PM
if it does it after a couple of hours the tracks might be cooling downn meaning you motehrboard is dodgy. take it back or look inside if u date :ph34r:

Curley
04-28-2003, 11:25 PM
Well thanks for your help so far guys. I can't try out another keyboard just yet, cause I knackered it a while ago (spilt beer on it, then tried to dry it with the hairdryer on the hotest setting. I was tipsy, but hey - thats another story!).

I wouldn't dare trying to have a look inside my comp - i'll end up blowing myself up! (Some might say thats a good thing :lol: )

I'll try and find out some for info for tomorrow.

Infested Cats
04-28-2003, 11:39 PM
I only ever got that error if I was holding down a key during the boot sequience. Dont know why it happend... it just did.

Nightwolf
04-29-2003, 12:08 AM
I had that happen with my old computer, and it turned out the keyboard port on the motherboard was fried. The only real way to find out is by trading your keyboard with someone else. If you still get the error message, it's your mb - if they get the message then your keyboard's bad.

Curley
05-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Well, i've borrowed my mates keyboard and it works fine! Only problem is i've got to try and persuade him to let me keep it :lol:

Thanks for your help ladies :D

Ignore me, i'm just in a good mood.

Nightwolf
05-02-2003, 06:08 AM
Ladies!?! :unsure:

Anyway, I'm glad it's just your keyboard and not the MB. You should be able to find one cheap. :)

Spindulik
05-02-2003, 11:13 AM
Do you have a USB keyboard? If so, then the error is normal. I suggest getting rid of USB keyboards. Can't use them in DOS, when troubleshooting.

If you have a normal PS2 keyboard, it may be one of those cheap ones mentioned earlier. I had that error before, and it was a bad connection. I had to wiggle the wire during bootup, to avoid the error. I now have good keyboard.

...But damn IT, On rare occasions, my keyboard (I tried and borrowed several keyboards) locks up, virtually disappears when playing Unreal Tournament. I have to disconnected it, then plug it back in, to get it to be recognized.

Ad
05-02-2003, 12:36 PM
I love this error press f11 to continue

Spindulik
05-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by adthomp@2 May 2003 - 13:36
I love this error press f11 to continue
Yeah, just like the non-connecting modem error...

"Download the modem troubleshoot.txt guide at "http://www...."

Curley
05-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Cheers. I went to pc world in Blackpool today, but there is no-way i'm paying them prices! I'm going to wait till theres a computer fair near us lol

Nightwolf
05-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Have you tried any online retailers, like NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/) or CompuPlus (http://www.compuplus.com/)?