PDA

View Full Version : HELP - found keylogger on pc

scrambler
05-15-2006, 01:38 AM
Can someone help me please. I usually do adaware and spybot checks. They are the only anti spyware type tools i have installed. I also use outpost firewall which has a built in spyware checker. Well for the 1st time, i decided to run it [after i ran spybot and adaware]...and it found a keylogger called "win key genie 3.1". So i told outpost to remove it. Its currently sitting in outpost's quarantine and i havent deleted it yet.

I'm miffed that spybot didnt catch it as i always thought it was enough for me. Obviously not. Oupost told me that the keylogger was hit 5 times. I dont know what this means. Maybe it means that the person logged me 5 times or something, i dont now.

I know i should delete the keylogger from quarantine. And i'm now looking for a good antispyware tool. Does anyone have any to recommend to me??

Also, do keyloggers have the ability to know whats in my firefox's saved passwords?? I use firefox's remember password tool you see, and i'm worried about the passwords being leaked:blink: .

help appreciated :)

Virtualbody1234
05-15-2006, 02:11 AM
You don't need to remove it from quarantine. It can't do any harm there.

I recommend that you change all your passwords.

scrambler
05-15-2006, 04:35 AM
thanks for reply. i've deleted it from quarantine just in case. Stupid thing. I'm in the process of changing all my passwords too.

sear
05-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Keyloggers can record everything you do on your computer. Internet banking ect... My advice make sure it's realy gone they can ben tricky buggers. for more info visit http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/ just read the rules ie: they hate file sharing so don't bring it up and make a post. someone will walk you through it they're realy helpful. good luck :)

100%
05-15-2006, 06:27 PM
here ia a Keylogger Detector http://dewasoft.com/privacy/kldetector.htm
it only tells you if you have one (and cannot garantuue it if you don't) nor does it tell you how to remove it...

SodiumChloride
05-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Used that keylogger detector and it found a suspicious firefox cookie and a firefox history file. Also C:\DOCUME~1\(my_name)~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\~DF3FFB.tmp
Could those be false positives?

scrambler
05-19-2006, 05:43 AM
After my above post, i told outpost to delete the keylogger from quarantine and i went to change my passwords. Stupidly, i thought that my job was done in regards to thinking i was safe. But coming back to this thread, i realise that i shouldnt have just assumed outpost did its job.

Thanks for that keylogger detector, i tried it and it didnt give me anything fishy [except told me that azureus and peerguardian was fishy lol]. So from that, it appears that i'm safe :)

But i'm still on a mission to twork my security up a bit as i always thought i was safe. I have no idea how a stupid keylogger got in and it scared me. Thanks for the link Sear, i've bookmarked it for future reference. I need to polish up my knowledge.

thanks again guys. Appreciated