PDA

View Full Version : car audio question

Skiz
05-15-2006, 05:58 AM
I have a Ford Explorer and I was thinking of buying an mp3 capable stereo. The cd player that is currently in there is the factory one. Is there a universal numbering system or some type of compatibility codes for what size stereo will fit my vehicle. I was looking at eBay and Crutchfield but I don't want to buy something that won't fit.

Anyone know about this stuff? :unsure:

lee551
05-15-2006, 06:28 AM
crutchfield is how i've always determined what will fit my car. on their site you tell them what kind of car you have and they only let you browse stuff that fits in your car.

if you get one of their catalogues they have an index in there of most modern vehicles with the letters representing what type of decks they're made to hold.

Proper Bo
05-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Shirly any head unit would fit and you'd just need to buy a fascia to fill the possible gap left if it is smaller than the standard one:unsure:

Skiz
05-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Shirly any head unit would fit and you'd just need to buy a fascia to fill the possible gap left if it is smaller than the standard one:unsure:

I don't want to get one that's smaller. That's the whole point in asking my question really. :rolleyes:

I want one that fills up the entire space so it looks clean and smooth.

Proper Bo
05-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Buying a replacement fascia would make it look clean and smooth :dabs:

Worked fine with every head unit I've ever fitted.