PDA

View Full Version : CD-R data discs not so great for media storage. What else is there?

sandia911
05-16-2006, 09:25 AM
CD-R data discs not so great for media storage. What else is there?

I regularly burn MP3 files onto CD-R discs (as data). I also regularly burn JPEGS onto CD-R discs (as data). I sometimes combine both picture and music files onto one data disc and access it often.

I notice every now and then i have problems accessing files from these CD-R discs.

Sometimes, when listening to tracks off the disc, viewing a slideshow of pictures (from the same disc), becomes hard to do (as the images freeze up). NOt always though. ANd no, i don't suspect this to be a spyware-related problem

I think burning MP3z and JPEGz onto CD-R's is not always wise right? As CD-R's can become corrupted and are not reliable (especially generic ones)?.

The question is then, how should I be storing my precious songs and travel pictures. I wish to keep both of these media filetypes for many years to come.

Do I have to burn CD-R after CD-R and watch my files slowly slip away to corruption or is there a better way?

I've considered online storage (but I burn 700MB of media files) at a time. What resource will allow me to store that much content forever?

What have been your experiences?

100%
05-16-2006, 03:02 PM
1.Buy better quality cdr's
2.best is to use an external hardrive? (i use this)
or try ipod etc or usb stick, even a a phone?
3.you could upload your files to gmail (10mb per hit) "gmail drive"
uploading to realiable sites can be expensive..

Barbarossa
05-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Read this (http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/storage/cdrlifespan.htm)

;)

peat moss
05-16-2006, 11:37 PM
The pictures , I would do it the old fashion way ! Take the cd in to a shop and have them printed or maybe get a dedicated photo printer .

You want to keep your treasured photos safe .

muchspl3
05-17-2006, 12:23 AM
floppies sometimes magnetic tape

bhakku
05-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Use hi quality cd disks and store the disks in a protective case and they should be ok.