PDA

View Full Version : Should We Ban n00bs For Requseting Invites In This Section

RealitY
05-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Even though the Stickies clearly say not to request Invites in this section it continues much to often.
Maybe the solution is to take a on a more strict policy and change the Pin topic from

Do NOT Request BitTorrent Invites In This Section *READ FIRST*

To

Any n00bs Requesting Invites In This Section Will Be BANNED!!

Just wondering what members here thought of a straight ban for this.
Currently looking for feedback on this and any other suggestions...

Thanks.

Kirkedir
05-17-2006, 06:25 AM
I think we should so my vote is yes. :)

Master$hake
05-17-2006, 06:49 AM
Well if there not going to read the first I doubt they would bother reading the second. I think they should get 1 warning if they do make an invite post, then if they do it again ban em.

RealitY
05-17-2006, 07:03 AM
Well if there not going to read the first I doubt they would bother reading the second. I think they should get 1 warning if they do make an invite post, then if they do it again ban em.
That makes sence and is basically whats done now though the pm are often a waste. Its also a bit tedious constantly sending pm and dosent stop much . Maybe seeing other n00bs with BANNED under thier nick may be a stronger message. Maybe being more strict might be the only way to deal with it...

justinius23
05-17-2006, 07:44 AM
as a noob myself, i make sure to read the stickies on any site i visit before doing anything. if these peopla can't be bothered to do that is there any hope for them?

if warnings don't seem to be changing anything, i suppose banning is the only way forward.

rguinn
05-17-2006, 11:00 PM
any sensible forumgoer would at least scan thru the sticky topics before making an initial post. Here, you don't even need to do that. It clearly states in the title, "Do NOT Request BitTorrent Invites In This Section". bittorrent is all about patience, and one is held responsible for their actions on private sites. What are the chances that a person will be too lazy to read the rules yet still able to maintain good ratios?

ban 'em!

ziggyjuarez
05-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah.the Less noobs the better.

ilikechikin
05-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Just warn.

Chewie
05-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Heh, I've added the option and voted to Moderate Them because I think it's viable and a little 'heavier' than a warning, which really doesn't do anything but notify them about the rules they couldn't be bothered to read.

bhakku
05-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Yeah.the Less noobs the better.

I'm glad I joined such a welcoming site. The success of this poll says a lot. It's pretty normal for sites that have post limits before accessing a specific area to have some of those posts elsewhere. It's not that noobs can't read. It's that they're hoping someone will be generous and respond to their request before they have the 5 posts.

I am not suggesting that people get invites before they reach their quota. I understand the reason for this. But this is the first forum I've seen banning as a solution.
I wonder how many of you belong to the private trackers and are used to restricting access to only those desired few. Why not make this a private invite only forum- then you really can have fewer noobs.

caravan70
05-18-2006, 12:42 AM
I think the moderators should do whatever they want as long as it's consistent. I don't see how it impacts any of us in any way if someone fails to read a sticky - we can just ignore their post and move on.

necromantic
05-18-2006, 03:02 AM
ban em all! I waited patiently to get into the l33t section lol

sear
05-18-2006, 03:46 AM
I'm tossing up 50 / 50 between ban and warn. I think banning a noob is prety harsh but then again we all had to wait our turn before being able to ask for invites. What about punishing them by making it two months and 10 post before any one ignoring the sticky gets to post in the invite section. It may be to complicated but it's a thought.

j0hn
05-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Maybe seeing other n00bs with BANNED under thier nick may be a stronger message.
i think thats a great idea
it lets others know NOT to ask for invites.
a number of forums i use do this. it seems to work as a good deterrent.

if u decide not to ban for this, and perhaps warn 1st, i'd still use this method when banning. personally i wouldnt ban straight away, i'd warn 1st. but i would make the warning in a public post in reply to them invite begging.

also, i get ALOT if pm's from users with 0 posts, or who only just registered, asking for invites to the sites i've discussed in the invites section. is there anything that can be done about this? like how u can report bad posts. report a bad pm, that can be read by staff? or just quoting their pm and message a moderator. or just make the bittorrent invites section invisible to those who cant post yet. like when they click the sub-forum link they get an error message telling them why they cant view it. it gets rather annoying. even after quoting the sticky rule about needing 5 posts/being member for a month, some just keep on asking, and eventually need adding to ignore.

whatever u decide to do, i think something does need to be done. how heavy handed u want to be is upto u guys.

bhakku
05-19-2006, 04:59 AM
I'm curious as to how many of you who voted to ban already belonged to private trackers when you came. Read the board. Members repeatedly say that private trackers are the safest way to go. Is it any surprise that noobs who wants to begin file sharing are jumping the gun?
If you don't already belong to a private tracker it's difficult to get in. I'm still a noob- is the idea here build a membership of those who are private tracker members?

yarivot26
05-19-2006, 06:49 AM
this forum is an open community, not everyone that joins are n00bs.

if someone come here only to ask for BitTorrent invites he should be banned since he didn't came for the community.

if someone did came for the community and "mistakenly" asked for an invite he could ask to be unbanned or he could register a new user.

bhakku
05-19-2006, 07:11 AM

if someone come here only to ask for BitTorrent invites he should be banned since he didn't came for the community.

if someone did came for the community and "mistakenly" asked for an invite he could ask to be unbanned or he could register a new user.

You're assuming that because someone is a "noob" and wanting to dl safely makes the mistake of asking for an invite that they aren't interested in the community.
In any case, there are enough posts here that seem to indicate that "noobs" are not entirely welcome.

yarivot26
05-19-2006, 07:17 AM

You're assuming that because someone is a "noob" and wanting to dl safely makes the mistake of asking for an invite that they aren't interested in the community.
In any case, there are enough posts here that seem to indicate that "noobs" are not entirely welcome.
If someone is interested in the community he should bother to read the rules.

In any case, as I said, if they are interested in the commuinty the could ask to be unbanned.

Czullo
05-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Ban them, ooooh hell YES :-)

sear
05-19-2006, 08:45 AM

I havn't been on this forum very long and no one made me feel unwelcome. Quite the oppisite I'd say. but then again I've been respectful and read the rules. I didn't find it very hard to wait out the 1 month 5 posts time limit. It's a good rule and it serves a valuable purpose. I personaly would never give in invite to some one who couldn't post in the invite section or for that matter PM's me I hate that. As far as Private trackers being safe. M8 it's all a risk that's just the way it is some would argue that belonging the a priviate tracker is more dangerous because it makes you a member of an organised pirating conspiracy. Stuff it I'm starting to think banning anyone who ignores the rules is a good idea. If they can't live within the community's rules do we realy want them here??

RealitY
05-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Think the best way to go on this after some thought is a 5 day ban and if repeated a permanent ban.
It could also be set if the user comes online there would be a message letting them know why...

j0hn
05-30-2006, 05:36 PM
i'd very much be in favour of this. it would put the noobs off from joining and posting instantly. also, is there anything we can do about noobs sending pm's requesting invites right after joining. i suggested before making the invites section not viewable until the conditions have been met, then they wont see who has what invites. and they wont be able to nag them over and over for an invite.

ghurka
05-30-2006, 06:22 PM
I voted yes.

The reason for this is that most noobs who post here have probably gone to the invite section, realised they can't post there and just thought "bugger this I'll post in the BitTorrent section".

Think about it. If they do that here would you trust them enough on a site you invite them to. I know I wouldn't.

The best things in life are worth waiting for! If they can't wait 30 days then they can sod off elsewhere.
http://freeweb.supereva.com/esorciccio2002/smilies/banned2.gif

RealitY
05-30-2006, 06:33 PM
also, is there anything we can do about noobs sending pm's requesting invites right after joining. i suggested before making the invites section not viewable until the conditions have been met, then they wont see who has what invites. and they wont be able to nag them over and over for an invite.
Ive suggested removing the ability for n00bs to use pm messages as its abused more than used it seems...

Hermiod
05-30-2006, 09:29 PM
i've used and have not abused it.

Those who dont want to receive PM can choose to do so. Maybe an option to not receive PM from noobs should be created.

Chewie
05-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Those who dont want to receive PM can choose to do so...
Those that choose to receive PMs should not have to put up with strangers asking for something.

zak2210
05-30-2006, 11:06 PM
i'd very much be in favour of this. it would put the noobs off from joining and posting instantly. also, is there anything we can do about noobs sending pm's requesting invites right after joining. i suggested before making the invites section not viewable until the conditions have been met, then they wont see who has what invites. and they wont be able to nag them over and over for an invite.

I agree there, but I think a ban is too harsh.

I would make it clear by putting that rule in the TITLE of the sticky and if they still post an invite request/trade suspend their account for 1 month.

Delorean
05-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Just warn them! Show them the Stiky thread because a lot of people tent to ignore them! Then if they do it again ban them.
I don't see the reason of banning a n00b for a mistake that could just be moderated or at least be warned first.
Sure it maybe annoying for the mods to moderated every n00b personally for such things but it won't hurt if you just warn them first!

100%
05-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Just warn them,
noobs do noob things cause they're noobs
i'm sure sure Rozz can make an auto responder for this type of issue...

Sissoko
05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
If they do it once, warn them. If they do it twice, ban them.

muchspl3
05-31-2006, 02:41 PM
other

make them wait even longer before they can request invites, if they break that rule by creating a AE then full IP ban them

rob482
05-31-2006, 10:55 PM
If they do it once, warn them. If they do it twice, ban them.
ACK
and that's very tolerant. you have to be pretty blind and/or ignorant to not see the stickies...

delimare
06-01-2006, 02:03 AM
If they make it to this site then it's safe to assume they can read... if they choose not to read the stickies I say BAN away.

jetje
06-01-2006, 06:13 AM
ban should be rarely used. Heavy or repeated violation of the board rules. Seeing that a lot of n00bs are banned will just give the impression that this place is very unfriendly towards new members! ... or is just an unfriendly tight modded place.

Please remember: "We all once were n00bs"

RealitY
06-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Think that most all agree even n00bs a ban should occur after a warning if its repeated. If you dont read the stickies and are warned or get a temp ban and then repeat the same thing you should be banned. Its blatant disregard for the site and all those who participate. Those that repeat asking for invites in this section after being warned are just here to grab and go anyway and generally dont make any contribution to the site or this section. They actually make this section messy at times. Its time we make it clear. Think first offense should be a temp ban which will show a message as to why and then second a permanent ban. Fact is if you dont get it at that point you should move on anyway...

muskrat_love
06-01-2006, 06:58 AM
I say BAN them!!

By the way can I have an invite to...

Just kidding!

A warning should be enough. After that a ban should be in place.

Hermiod
06-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Is the invite section now closed ? Every page I try to access gives me the error:
"Hermiod, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

RealitY
06-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Threads in the BT Invite Section have been set to no content for new members. That means you can read the titles but not the content of the thread itself. This may cure some of the issue of new members using pm messages to requests invites. Since new members cannot post in the section seems theres no reason they need to read it. When you have five posts and have been a member for a month you will be able to read the threads and post within them. When a new member tries to read a thread in that section now they get this message...

Name, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. If you are trying to use the BitTorrent Invites Section read here (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=89845). Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Hermiod
06-01-2006, 09:00 PM
That explains it :)

Cheese
06-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Ban them.

manker
06-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Oh yeah, I agree with Cheese.

Ban the noobs lol

j0hn
06-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Threads in the BT Invite Section have been set to no content for new members. That means you can read the titles but not the content of the thread itself. This may cure some of the issue of new members using pm messages to requests invites. Since new members cannot post in the section seems theres no reason they need to read it. When you have five posts and have been a member for a month you will be able to read the threads and post within them.
that is absolutely fantastic :D pretty much what i suggested. no more mass pm's by n00bs!

Ban them.
btw has anyone got an invite for Oink? Thx in advance.
u say ban them for asking for invites in this section, then u do it in the same post? :P

seriously though, thanks! this makes using that section much better. i actually offered invites less than i would like to for not wanting noobs harrassing me.

yihs
06-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Well i think they should be banned

w3stfa11
06-04-2006, 02:34 AM
Ban them, please.

Flame10
06-04-2006, 07:21 AM
if you ban a newbie, less than 5 posts wanting to get an invite, he will just get away from this site.

Think it other ways, just warn him and delete his post with reasons, he will make the 5 posts, stay for a month and perhaps become a good member in the end.. just my 2 cents

Mïcrösöül°V³
06-04-2006, 06:13 PM
I think noobs should be warned/banned for requesting invites PERIOD, ANYWHERE. I think there should be some kind of minumum post count before they could ask. This is of course, just my opinion. :) as for this section, i think a warning, then a ban would be in order.

phrenzy
06-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Or they just start PM'ing people until they get what they want. It's what I did.

phrenzy
06-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I thought we were all noobs at one time.. I think some people are just too FULL of themselves..

LinkS v2.0
06-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Moderate you mods are just lazy

royalplus
06-11-2006, 05:37 PM
yeh we have to ban the noobs asking for invites

ronc289
06-12-2006, 12:26 AM
If they posted here then the only reason they signed up is just to get invites and fly off to somewhere else. Why bother with them?

birds1981
06-12-2006, 01:41 AM
think the time wasters should be reported and it should be three stikes and yr out, what i mean for e.g. what happen to me today had to take screen shoots and so did he, swapped them everything looked fine when i sent a invite out, being told i was going to get a invite in return but did never receive one in return, he did'nt get away with it, still not comfirm his account, so if i dont recieve my invite within two day i'll just cancel his account, hate time wasters, dont know why they do it, there wasting there time as well for nothing, people just dont learn, rant over

kesava108
06-12-2006, 05:50 AM
everyone starts off as a noob so have some compassion and just warn them

RealitY
06-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Final for now most likely will be as such...

Those requesting invites in this section will be temp Banned for 2 days.
Those that repeat the same offense will be permanetly Banned from the site.

NotaLeech
08-13-2006, 06:18 PM
How about Listing the URL to get the Premium Membership I've heard about right in the thread so that they can access that furum? Then you are giving
n00bs like me an alternative. How do you find out about paying for premium membership?

gustafo
08-13-2006, 06:59 PM
just warn, and if it happens again - bye bye

FreeDoom
08-14-2006, 12:57 AM
just warn, and if it happens again - bye bye

Agree 100%
Everybody deserves a chance.

maisum
08-14-2006, 02:29 AM
i said yes!

Descent
08-14-2006, 02:40 AM
you guys don't have rules just for show. ban them temporarily, and if repeated make it permanent. warnings are a thing of the past

waterloo
08-14-2006, 07:07 AM
No banning plz. Just provide instructions instead and if they ignore them.....then maybe.

OMG u have to wait 1 month? That's just cruel :(

j0hn
08-14-2006, 05:45 PM
No banning plz. Just provide instructions instead and if they ignore them.....then maybe.

OMG u have to wait 1 month? That's just cruel :( What do you have to do to get a simple demonoid/filelist invite in this world, i seriously wonder.

well, instructions are already there, in big bold letters at the top of the page, in a sticky thread

Sticky: Do NOT Request Or Offer BitTorrent Invites In This Section *Or Be BANNED*

its only a temp ban for 2 days, which i think is a good idea.
u should ALWAYS read any sticky rules on new forums.

and to answer ur question about how u can get demonoid/filelist invites, u cant. filelist dont do invites, and never have. and demonoids invite system is disabled.

lukaspl
08-14-2006, 08:17 PM
my tilte say that im n00b but i say: ban them all ! ;)

J708
08-15-2006, 12:42 AM
No

08-15-2006, 03:17 AM
demonoids invite system is disabled.

oh really? i invited someone earlier without a problem

truetejas
08-15-2006, 03:56 AM
What part of "I agree to the rules" don't you understand?

Reinstate the original wait time (if you want to be nice on the first offense) and ban on the second infraction.

Edit:
I suspect the original rule was put in place to prevent people who only want invites from posting their requests immediately and then moving on. The goal is to build a sense of community, and the rule helps do that by requiring a Noob to participate in the forum before making a request for invites.

If the goal is still worthwhile, and I believe it is, why is it so difficult to inforce the rule? Moreover, if I was the person charged with sending out PMs to the violators this would be a no-brainer.