PDA

View Full Version : Got my 32" lcd tv and it's kicking ass...

silent h3ro
05-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Now I have to return the damn thing because the image gets all wavy but I only notice it in 1080i, in 720p I don't notice it. I plan on getting an HDMI-DVI cable, so I can hook up my computer, still but I would like some advice on which brand I should get (one online store I've seen 15 foot cables run at $15 and another I saw the same cable for $30 just different brand and I know Monster cables are complete rip-offs). Also I got the t.v. with a smashed in Cable Card input which I could deal with since I don't even have cable in my room just a little annoying. Hopefully when Phillips ships me a new tv, they don't fuck it up during shipping, I won't bother with repairing it. :dry: I've got a pic of my badass setup in my sig if ne one is interested in seeing it. :cool:

maebach
05-18-2006, 02:46 AM
nice setup, but your camera sucks, and I never knew you were a skinny kid. Is that a camera phone?

mr. nails
05-18-2006, 09:26 AM
that's pretty sweet! i'm currently looking into lcd tv's too for my consoles and my pc. i just don't have any knowledge of them so i don't know what to look for really. lcd tv's are what u want especially for pc's, no? also, running a lcd tv for consoles are good? i mean, lets say running lcd with even nintendo 64? the picture is good? no blurryness or what not? idk. anyway, lol, small room, but nonetheless it's nice looking.

clocker
05-18-2006, 01:22 PM
I'd like a TV like that.
Except...
You got this thing with broken components/defective display and you're going to reorder the same thing from the same people?

Hope springs eternal I guess.

lynx
05-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I'd like a TV like that.You want one with broken components/defective display?

It takes all sorts I guess. :rolleyes:

clocker
05-18-2006, 07:46 PM
I'd like a TV like that.You want one with broken components/defective display?
Yes, but in black please.

It takes all sorts I guess. :rolleyes:
Just so.
Which explains Rush Limbaugh perhaps.

silent h3ro
05-19-2006, 02:23 AM
nice setup, but your camera sucks, and I never knew you were a skinny kid. Is that a camera phone?Yep, it's my Razr camera. :)

@mr. nails - in both the hdtv's we have (a Visio and my Philips), both are amazing picture quality in anything you plug into them. N64 would look good I'm sure (brightness and color quality wise). And with the 32" in my room, I can watch the t.v. all the way from my door where my computer is now and it's still very bright and visible thanks to the high contrast ratio and the 8ms response time is nice for games anything higher is a little noticable ghosting when you are gaming of coarse.

@clocker - I'm going to hope to god I get a working one from Philips. :ermm:

cpt_azad
05-20-2006, 05:25 AM
Mmmm looks sweet lol, just wait until first week of june I'll post some pics of my room (It's still hella messy and unorganized and chances are it still will be when i take the pics lol, i have to get my exams out of the way first tho), you'll see how crazy my room is (at least to me lol).

mr. nails
05-20-2006, 10:19 AM
so, is there any kind of special cables or what not u need in order to use a lcd hdtv? right out of the box u can hook up ur pc and/or consoles and they work? also, say u have a movie on ur pc and it has sub-titles. can u read and do the sub-titles look good on a lcd hdtv? i ask cuz i've heard that when u have sub-titles on ur pc and u use a s-video cable from pc to tv either u can't read the subs or they just look VERY crappy.

fattam
05-21-2006, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't mind one of those!

cpt_azad
05-21-2006, 01:11 AM
so, is there any kind of special cables or what not u need in order to use a lcd hdtv? right out of the box u can hook up ur pc and/or consoles and they work? also, say u have a movie on ur pc and it has sub-titles. can u read and do the sub-titles look good on a lcd hdtv? i ask cuz i've heard that when u have sub-titles on ur pc and u use a s-video cable from pc to tv either u can't read the subs or they just look VERY crappy.

Well in my opinion, S-Video is the worst option to go with when hooking up LCD TV's to your comp (even with high-end cards). From experimentation I've found the best video quality to be from, no surprise, HDMI (adapter) but unfortanately I used my friends comp to test this, since the comp+vid card i have right now does not support HDMI, so I'm using as of now the VGA cable. And trust me when I say this, VGA >>>>> S-Video (infinitely greater than). The picture quality is superb, just like you'd expect if you were using say a computer LCD monitor, ummmmm lets see here the word "LCD" appears in both LCD monitor and LCD TV...so ya.

As for subtitles, basically the rule of thumb is, if it looks good on your monitor it should look just about as good (maybe a bit worst [that's because you're expanding viewing area when your using a fucking 27" or 32" monitor lol] but not noticeable) on the TV hooked up with VGA, HDMI would obviously be better if that option is available.

I've said this many times before, and here it is again for good measure, I don't have any regrets buying this TV, this thing is like a multi-purpose machine for me now (Satellite TV, computer monitor, Xbox360 display).

Ok I take that back lol, it does get a bit harsh on the eyes since your sitting so close, bad for your eyes, but no matter, the quality is superb.

I'll post those pics that I talked of earlier, just hang tight till 1st week of June :)

lee551
05-21-2006, 06:59 PM
cpt, you have your computer hooked up to your lcd tv with VGA? can i ask how you did that? :huh:

cpt_azad
05-21-2006, 08:19 PM
cpt, you have your computer hooked up to your lcd tv with VGA? can i ask how you did that? :huh:

Simple, my TV came with a VGA input :D lol, always do your research before buying it helps a lot (there were a lot of TV's in the same price range that didn't have VGA, the one that I have took me a while to get hold of since it was very rare to find [always sold out]). Pictures to come hang tight.

lee551
05-22-2006, 07:16 PM

Simple, my TV came with a VGA input :D lol, always do your research before buying it helps a lot (there were a lot of TV's in the same price range that didn't have VGA, the one that I have took me a while to get hold of since it was very rare to find [always sold out]). Pictures to come hang tight.

well you lucky s.o.b. :no2: i guess i wasn't aware you could get vga inputs on tvs nowadays. score!

silent h3ro
05-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Nice azad, I can't wait to see ur setup. I saw ur old lcd before you returned it and it looked pretty badass. I wish my Philips came with a VGA/DVI input but I knew there were converters for hdmi so I just figured it would work out just as good.

@mr. nails- yes, hooking up your pc via s-video is very shitty imo. With DVI, VGA, or through HDMI you can get the best image quality at over double the resolution of s-video depending on the resolution of the lcd (most are 720p).

cpt_azad
05-24-2006, 04:13 AM
Ahhhh! I'm so choked right now :angry::angry: god damnit!!!! Seems we're not moving out till NEXT APRIL!!!! That's almost a fucking year, and i had my hopes up tooo :angry::frusty:.

Looks like I'm stuck here, but at least my friend lives with me too so its all good (hhahaa he has a better home theater system...in his room...than i do :( I'll post pics of his room when I post mine too, since he's like the next room over).

But ya, one more year man, I had the money for the drums with enough left over for a new home theater system too :(

Basically the receiver I have now with 4 of these babies: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&MSCSProfile=3C79F0C7EA3162B26C5CAD785174A5AAD6B8D287DB1D09784C7EB1E81EC35112E11E933B8A890D22B73906284330E3E55E651907349EC2F5BB25C49A3898DC1F78DBE6155F37F719952DF072854E5535AAEDEFA79B02B4A374395482667CD6745E0EC7CC2E603FFBBE85EC49E131834A36998BB04F1C405A&sku_id=0926INGFS10074334&catid=20322&test%5Fcookie=1

and one of these: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&MSCSProfile=3C79F0C7EA3162B2AD2D24472DF6467F4AFDAEF5C38E3AE5D77A29ADACD0A4B2F2AB9D0907CDCBB0D64372748D8664A2FA28E1CA38CE3B9664EF1224183157DAED411E5D3777A686C1005E7106867BDAC32B1BAD4FBCAE17B6CAE9C37AB60CBF7AD7CCD24A8A4E990A675036EC9BEB5AAB495B2C644D4B48&sku_id=0926INGFS10045924&catid=20320&test%5Fcookie=1

and this hot lady right here: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&MSCSProfile=3C79F0C7EA3162B21FF208C41AAB815BF3BEEA4F7A02C703BDB4F5A6FA16D0CBF20DF2FCA90CE1024C67C333538A49001DC02005EEB29E54A486678E15B8F0A896E23D0CF79FD0D36CB6E91F2622AC68A31D73C43959D26FA96721C7C363BE9D9FF38D9729A8D42CB9B015CCFF3013E25C6279ACF58E1D5F&sku_id=0926INGFS10052252&catid=20326&test%5Fcookie=1

Looks like I can't get any of that till April (pessimistically speaking it'd be more like May since it'd take me time to figure out and plan where everything goes, also to see if sound will be a problem).

And I just know that I'll prob end up blowing all that money by the time April comes, shit I gotta put this money into a CD or some sort of bond.

hahaha, for the mean time, here ya go guys (cam phone, sorry :( I woulda taken a pic of my friend's setup but he's sleeping right now):

http://www.picturemessaging.rogers.com/mmps/Personal%20Folder/001_0173385f71be4587_0/2.jpg?partExt=.jpg&limitsize=320,320&outquality=56&rand=-8212557678066826701&ext=.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/cptazad/2.jpg

Ooo, he had his razer on my table, found and uploaded this pic (this is his sound system in his room, damn razer camera has a much higher resolution :( ):

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/cptazad/3.jpg

http://www.picturemessaging.rogers.com/mmps/Inbox/001_0157d41d71b0e396_1/3.jpg?partExt=.jpg&limitsize=320,320&outquality=56&rand=-703809647961102353&ext=.jpg

lee551
05-24-2006, 04:57 AM
i dont see any f-in pics...:rolleyes:

cpt_azad
05-24-2006, 05:09 AM
wtf, i see em fine, one sec, ill upload em to photobucket.

edit: done :)

in case ur lazy to scroll up... lol :

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/cptazad/2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/cptazad/3.jpg

PuRe DaRknEss
05-24-2006, 05:10 AM

What browser are you using fabreez

cpt_azad
05-24-2006, 05:23 AM
What browser are you using fabreez

hahaha, sumeet? nice nice, firefox obviously. It works now, i uploaded it to photobucket. lmao, i stole ur quote (check my sig) cutting activated lol

harrycary
05-24-2006, 11:10 PM
LCDs are by far the worst form of flat screen TV available.

Give it a couple of years and you'll see why.

This is not to mention the loss of quality on their poor viewing angles.

This is just my opinion based on years working in the the repair industry, but I hope you enjoy it none the less.

BTW, HDMI is a digital audio & video protocol and DVI is digital video only. You don't use both. And, either is of a higher quality then an analog VGA connection.

regards

cpt_azad
05-25-2006, 04:38 AM

This is just my opinion based on years working in the the repair industry, but I hope you enjoy it none the less.

BTW, HDMI is a digital audio & video protocol and DVI is digital video only. You don't use both. And, either is of a higher quality then an analog VGA connection.

regards

Meh, I dont mind, the reason is the only choices I had when buying were:

LCD, Plasma, DLP, or just plain old projection.

Plasma = burn-ins and on top of that you're paying so much

DLP = way too expensive for my taste, and if I were to buy one I'd want at least a 42" which I don't have room for right now

Plain old projection = big phat ass

LCD seemed like the logical choice, but we shall see (btw I'm selling this in APril and buying a DLP since I"ll have a much bigger room :D )

silent h3ro
05-26-2006, 01:51 AM

regardsLCD's are not at all with the technology getting better. Dynamic ratios are getting higher and the colors are getting better too. Plasmas color fade over time. If you have seen a Sharp Aquos LCD then you will see what I mean. :)

harrycary
05-28-2006, 09:06 PM
While the manufacturing of LCD screens has become better the bottom line is the inherent degradation that happens to the liquid crystal used in a LCD screen. You simply cannot deny that. Scientists and researchers are still studying this issue and trying to come up with a solution.

"dymanic ratios?" You must mean "contrast ratios". And I agree, they have gotten better, as well as have the pixel response times. But this has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

But alas, all the current technologies aren't very good. And frankly, nothing right now beats the "old fashion" CRT driven HD TV/monitor.

Not to mention the complete lack of content available for any HD TV. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in the US there isn't much. And to spend that kind of money only to receive a fraction of your programming in true HD is a waste of money. Why pay for that resolution only to watch your DVDs and 3/4 of your television programs in normal resolution? (for bragging rights I guess)

But, this brings up a paradox: content providers don't want to spend the money on eqquipment due to limited viewership with said equipment and us consumers aren't buying the equipment fast enough due to lack of content and cost.

This works for me though, let everyone else buy these 1st, 2nd, and 3rd(etc) generation TVs thereby driving the price down for me to buy when there is more content available.

silent h3ro
05-29-2006, 12:54 AM
While the manufacturing of LCD screens has become better the bottom line is the inherent degradation that happens to the liquid crystal used in a LCD screen. You simply cannot deny that. Scientists and researchers are still studying this issue and trying to come up with a solution.

"dymanic ratios?" You must mean "contrast ratios". And I agree, they have gotten better, as well as have the pixel response times. But this has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

But alas, all the current technologies aren't very good. And frankly, nothing right now beats the "old fashion" CRT driven HD TV/monitor.

Not to mention the complete lack of content available for any HD TV. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in the US there isn't much. And to spend that kind of money only to receive a fraction of your programming in true HD is a waste of money. Why pay for that resolution only to watch your DVDs and 3/4 of your television programs in normal resolution? (for bragging rights I guess)

But, this brings up a paradox: content providers don't want to spend the money on eqquipment due to limited viewership with said equipment and us consumers aren't buying the equipment fast enough due to lack of content and cost.

This works for me though, let everyone else buy these 1st, 2nd, and 3rd(etc) generation TVs thereby driving the price down for me to buy when there is more content available.Yes I do agree that CRTs are good and there is no ghosting but holy shit they get heavy once they get over 30" and shipping for a CRT tv is rediculus. I've been waiting like you are but I figured I'll keep waiting and there will always be something better later on so I thought feck it, its a good deal and I've waited long enough. Sure Philips fucked it up but I know they have a repair center about 20 miles from my house and they can repair it for free under warrenty.

Btw, I'm not sure if I said this but the Sharp AQUOS lcd tv's are one of the best lcd's out right now, if not the best of what I've seen. Supposedly they have the best black levels on their tvs but you just have to configure them a lot to get it just right. I think thier 42" lcd has a 4000:1 contrast ratio which is amazing.

cpt_azad
05-29-2006, 03:00 AM
I think thier 42" lcd has a 4000:1 contrast ratio which is amazing.

That's what I'm gonna buy come April 07, or the Dell W3706MC (http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_W3706MC/4505-6482_7-31562822.html?tag=topprods) or even the Samsung 42" models out there...all depends on how deep my pockets are by then lol, I'm gonna use the 32" I have right now as most likely the comp moniter, however it does get hard on the eyes after a while (sitting so close to it) so I'll prob buy a seperate 21" monitor for comp use...leaving me with a 32" tv, lol either sell it or keep it for the looks hahaha

mr. nails
05-29-2006, 11:41 AM
maybe i'm late in asking this, but what exactly do u look for when shopping for an lcd hdtv? i was @ frys today and saw a samsung 40' with contrast ratio of 5000:1. compared it to the others which had 4000, 3000:1 ratios. of course the 5k looked hella better. what else to look for in these tv's?

silent h3ro
05-29-2006, 11:41 PM
The most important thing to look for is response time (8ms and under is GOOD), then contrast ratio and then viewing angle and of coarse size but that depends on how much you are willing to spend.

cpt_azad
05-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Priority list for LCD's (in my opinion):

1) Contrast Ratio
2) Response Time (if its above 8ms, don't even consider buying it, book it out of there asap lol)
3) Viewing angle --> Tilt Radius, basically, is the viewing angle obtuse or acute, obviously go with something that is as obtuse as possible.
4) Inputs/Outputs, don't buy anything that does not have any of the following:

-HDMI input
-At least 1 component (set) input(s)
-At least 2 composit inputs
-Optional, it just sweetens the deal, look for a VGA input
-At least 1 DVI input
Almost all LCD's out there now (27" and up) meet the above guidelines

5) Cost.

silent h3ro
05-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Yea, what azad said. Inputs are very important.

mr. nails
05-30-2006, 07:13 AM
Priority list for LCD's (in my opinion):

1) Contrast Ratio
2) Response Time (if its above 8ms, don't even consider buying it, book it out of there asap lol)
3) Viewing angle --> Tilt Radius, basically, is the viewing angle obtuse or acute, obviously go with something that is as obtuse as possible.
4) Inputs/Outputs, don't buy anything that does not have any of the following:

-HDMI input
-At least 1 component (set) input(s)
-At least 2 composit inputs
-Optional, it just sweetens the deal, look for a VGA input
-At least 1 DVI input
Almost all LCD's out there now (27" and up) meet the above guidelines

5) Cost.
so, if u have the time could u plz elaborate on what u said? what do these do and why would a person need them. i'm thinking of buying one and like i said be4... i'm ignorant @ the fact of what i need and what's good. ppl that know about these and of course actually have owned a couple should have good input. talking to sells reps aren't my thing cuz all they do is try to sell u something instead of actually helping u. thx in advance!

jetje
05-30-2006, 09:56 AM
just buy a Philips with ambilight and you'll be fine. It;s the best quality out there.
for instance the "Widescreen flat TV with Pixel Plus 2 HD and Ambilight 2 channel 32" LCD HD Ready 32PF9830/10 "
http://www.consumer.philips.com/catalog/32/32PF9830_10_webImageFullSize.jpg

i myself have this one with ambilight (so not he 2 version!) and it's fabulous.

Make sure you adjust the size of the screen on the distance that you can take from the screen. That way you will have the best performance and most enjoyable view!

Distances to take:
20-27 inch display à 61cm –-> 1m52
32-37 inch display à 1m82 –-> 2m43
42-46 inch display à 3m05 –-> 4m27
50 Inch display à 3m65 --> 4m87

suprafreak6
05-30-2006, 02:45 PM
and how much does that cost..remember cost is a problem in our country...:lol:

lynx
05-30-2006, 03:13 PM
and how much does that cost..remember cost is a problem in our country...:lol:If you were a software engineer you would describe that as a "feature". :dry:

cpt_azad
05-30-2006, 10:20 PM
and how much does that cost..remember cost is a problem in our country...:lol:If you were a software engineer you would describe that as a "feature". :dry:
:lol: hahahaha

Contrast Ratio:
Ratio of the luminosity of the brightest and the darkest color the system is capable of producing. (wiki)

example: 400:1(typical movie theater scenario) compared to 4000:1 means the 400:1 will show the colors at a lower "level" of light intensity (as in the color black won't really look black, but a bit brighter, and a very vibrant bright color such as red won't really look that vibrant) and the 4000:1 will up the "level" of intensity 10 fold. Meaning the 4000:1 ratio will show black shades (or just pure black) the way they're supposed to be displayed (ok that's a flawed statement, it won't be pure black, but damn close [close enough not to tell difference]) and bright vibrant colors the way they're supposed to be shown.

That's my definition for Contrast Ratio, so please correct me because I know there's a bunch of holes in that statement, but it's a "dumbified" version that's good enough for the average consumer.

Response Time:
From what I know, it's the amount of time it takes the liquid crystal cell (LCD screens, what's in em) to go from black to white then back to black again (active->inactive->active) and is always measured in milliseconds. The less milliseconds it takes the better, meaning, say you're playing a game, and it's fast paced, a very high response time (16 ms +) will make it look really crappy, with lots of blurring (no, not motion blur, the crappy blur) and not to mention it won't be the fast paced game you want it to be, since what you're doing with the controller is in real time (so is the system in question) but your TV/screen can't keep up (16ms is hella fast, but you have to take into consideration there are usually 30+ frames per second...).

The lower the response time, the better and more crisp it will look, like the way the game/movie was intended. So buying a TV/screen with a low response time (less than 8 is what you're shooting for, there are screens out there that can do it under 4ms [here (http://www.acer.ca/acereuro/page4.do?sp=page3&dau22.oid=10519&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=27&CountryISOCtxParam=CA&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=1462128220)] and some even 2ms) means better the quality of entertainment.

Viewing Angle:
All LCD's emit light in a linear fashion, there really isn't a definition in my head that I can think of at the moment, so you might have to google it, but what it means is that the best way to view things on the TV/screen is to sit directly in front of it (DO NOT get it confused with sitting in front of the TV like 1 feet away, what I mean is, you want to be sitting a distance away that is perfectly perpendicular to the center of the TV, so not to view the TV at an angle, like off to the side or something, perfectly centered). Viewing angle matters because, say you wanna watch a movie and you're friends are over, well all of you can't sit in the center (unless it's a chick, let her sit on your lap ;) ) so they will most likely have to sit to the left of the center and the right of the center, depending on the degree to that straight perpendicular line, they might not be able to see the pictures being emmited by the TV, it'll look dark and garbled.

The TV I have you can view at an angle of no more than 160 degrees, which is very impressive. It also depends on how far away from the TV it is too. So go for a TV that has a higher viewing angle.

Inputs/Outputs:
There is no point in getting a TV/screen that is HDTV ready that does not have HDMI or DVI, but don't worry, almost all TV's now a days, LCD or not, have those inputs. HDMI is true High Definition, and when things like PS3 and Blu Ray (or HD DVD) become popular, you'll be glad you have HDMI for your TV so you can watch/listen in true High Definition, I have to point out that we really aren't in the High Definition era yet, we have the technology but nothing to utilize it with. DVI is basically HDMI minus the audio, HDMI being both hi def video and audio. Component is a step down, you'll need this to view things in 720p and 1080i (HDMI being 1080p and everything in between) and is a must for now (until true Hi def comes out), and all LCD's come with at least one set of Component inputs (1 set because for component, there is a blue, green, and red wire dedicated to video and video only to bring out clarity and step up the quality, less signal loss basically), but usually when you buy LCD tv's you want to hook up your DVD player and say an xbox or something, so having 2 sets of components (2 blue, 2 green, 2 red inputs for video) is highly favored. Composite is also included in everything, it's what we've been using for like the last 6 years, I don't even know how long.

But like I said, almost all LCD's have the input/output priority taken care of, but never hurts to know and make sure.

Cost:
Self-Explanatory, but I want to take the time to say, do not spend 3000 dollars (arbitrary number) or something on a "Sony" LCD or a Phillips or Samsung, when you can get pretty much the same thing (quality and features) for a fraction of the cost. When researching, here's what I do (did, same thing lol): take the total cost (yes taxes too) then divide it by the number of inches, so for example:

27" TV costs 989 after taxes, 989/27 = 36.63 dollars for 1 inch

This will help you in determining what's the best. But in saying that, don't go for the cheapest one out there either. I can honestly say, the Prima 32" that I have right now, a brand that I've never heard of until I bought the TV, can outperform (quality wise, I don't care if you believe me or not, at the end of the day I'm happy cuz I get better quality than a Phillips or Samsung and having spent less than half) the same category Phillips and Samsung LCD's, the only thing that my TV is shunted by is the Sharp AQUOS TV's.

Also, take into consideration how much you're gonna use it, what you're gonna use it for (I've yet to use my LCD to watch regular TV). That way you can justify the price.

And in saying all that, when you're watching a movie or playing a game, please for the love of god, close the blinds and turn the lights off. Even the slightest light pollution within the room of the TV will cause quality degration. And also, buy a good home theater system and hook it up to your DVD player/360/ps2/whatever with optical audio, you won't regret it.

Hope that helped. :happy:

mr. nails
05-31-2006, 05:15 AM
Hope that helped. :happy:
yes sir! thank u. to answer ur question on how much i'd be using this tv and for what purpose... well, pretty much everything. all my movies i have, all my consoles i have, and of course.. MY PC!!! lol, can't wait to see what css is gonna look like. ;)

one more question. u said something about the response time going from black to white then back to black again. cool, understood. then u gave that link to that acer lcd. it's talking about grey to grey and not the example u gave. what's the difference?

cpt_azad
05-31-2006, 05:29 AM
Hope that helped. :happy: yes sir! thank u. to answer ur question on how much i'd be using this tv and for what purpose... well, pretty much everything. all my movies i have, all my consoles i have, and of course.. MY PC!!! lol, can't wait to see what css is gonna look like. ;)

one more question. u said something about the response time going from black to white then back to black again. cool, understood. then u gave that link to that acer lcd. it's talking about grey to grey and not the example u gave. what's the difference?

Well that's what I know, I honestly think that shades they choose are arbitrary as long as it measures the actual time it takes to go b/w the shades (not colors, shades as in white and black shades).

And ya, CSS look intense on a 32" lcd (what I have) lol, good gfx, crank up the resolution (make sure u select 16:9 ratio in the options menu when in counter strike) and prepare to be amazed.

And ya, I use it for everything but actually watching TV on it lol, theres like only 2 channels that are in hidef so no point, and I realized that I don't watch TV anymore (past 9 months or so), I usually just download my tv eps (new ones).

lynx
05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Quoting black-white-black response times is misleading.
They boost the speed by "overvolting", which can't be done with grey-grey.
It almost never happens all across the screen so most transitions will be grey-grey.

Grey-grey is slower than black-white-black because the voltage determines the shade of grey so you can't apply overvoltage. But that's what happens in real life so it's what you should look for in the quoted response times.

Unfortunately there are no standards for the shades of grey involved, or at what point the transition is determined to be complete (80%, 90% ?) so there's no real comparison between manufacturers.

Contrary to what I've said above, Viewsonic have come up with an overvolting method for grey-grey transitions which has allowed them to get (quoted) response times down to 2ms.