PDA

View Full Version : Just got a dvd burner..

Smith
05-20-2006, 07:08 PM
My dad picked up a cheap 600$ AMD sempron based computer to replace his old p2 233. It has a dvd burner in it..and I have no idea how to use it. If I wanted to rent a movie and copy it..how would I go about that?

Virtualbody1234
05-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Get yourself 3 programs.

AnyDVD
DVD Shrink
DVD Decrypter

Let AnyDVD run in the background (it disables copy protection).
Use DVD Shrink to compress the movie to fit onto 4.7GB DVD media.
Use the Backup button in DVD Shrink and then choose Select backup target: ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter.

DVD Decrypter will automatically burn the image after the compression.

Play with DVD Shrink to learn as much as you can. It's a very versatile tool. Use the Re-author and Compression Settings tab to reduce the compression to keep higher quality video.

Chip Monk
05-20-2006, 07:35 PM
DVDShrink doesn't need another decrypter, it does it anyway. Your'e just using system resources by having something running in the background that you don't really need.

Why would you use DVD Decrypter as burning software, better to use burning software.

Really all you need is DVDShrink, which is a free download and whatever burning software came with the PC. Use DVDShrink to reduce the whole thing to the proper size (it'll do it automatically for you). Or select which parts you want to keep). Then burn the resultant files as video.

I prefer AnyDVD and CloneDVD2, as it is very simple to use.

www.doom9.org for everything you need to know about video.

Virtualbody1234
05-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Because DVD Decrypter is an excellent burning software and doesn't use much system resources. All 3 installers for the programs I mentioned total 3.2 mb in size and DVD Decrypter is the smallest at less than 900kb.

Also DVD Shrink is designed to use DVD Decrypter as an integrated burning software.

Radaday
05-20-2006, 09:01 PM
you will need to use a program like DVD Decrypter if the DVD you are trying to copy has copy protection

Smith
05-20-2006, 09:44 PM
I cant find anydvd on the interweb..:rolleyes:

Virtualbody1234
05-20-2006, 11:03 PM
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Chip Monk
05-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Because DVD Decrypter is an excellent burning software and doesn't use much system resources. All 3 installers for the programs I mentioned total 3.2 mb in size and DVD Decrypter is the smallest at less than 900kb.

Also DVD Shrink is designed to use DVD Decrypter as an integrated burning software.
DVD decrypter is not "an excellent burning software" it's a piece of software designed to remove copy protection when copying DVDs. You used to need it prior to using DVDShrink, but DVDShrink can now remove the protection itself.

Why you would need AnyDVD when using either of them is totally beyond me.

AnyDVD is provided by the same people who supply CloneDVD2 and it removes copy protection so you can make backups using CloneDVD. It is totally unnecessary when using DVDShrink.

Your suggestion is to run a background programme, which DVDShrink does not need, then to use another programme (designed to remove copy protection) to do the burning. That makes no sense.

Chip Monk
05-20-2006, 11:12 PM
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

AnyDVD works in the background to automatically remove the copy protection of a DVD movie as soon as it's inserted into the drive, allowing you then to backup the movie using a DVD backup tool such as CloneDVD

Thanks for clearing that up.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

DVD Shrink is a versatile freeware tool for fitting a DVD-Video disc on a single DVDR disc.

DVD Shrink is capable of both re-authoring and re-encoding the movie. It features an intuitive user interface which makes it easy to choose what to keep, and what to lose.

DVD Shrinks allow the user to select compression level for each video track separately to obtain the desired disc size (which is usually below 4.38GB). The software is capable of producing either an ISO image of the ripped DVD, or a VIDEO_TS folder for further processing, viewing or burning.

Virtualbody1234
05-20-2006, 11:24 PM
I think you need to reread my post. I said that AnyDVD runs in the background not DVD Decrypter.

And no, DVD Decrypter isn't just for decrypting. It's a burning app too. Look at this screenshot of DVD Shrink as proof. It shows that access to it as a burning app is built-in and is intended for that purpose:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5267/shrinkscr8re.gif

Why are you so argumentative? If you really dislike DVD Decrypter that much then maybe you should look into ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/ which is just a continuation of DVD Decrypter anyway.

Chip Monk
05-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah, but you don't need AnyDVD if you're using DVDShrink. It's a pointless waste of resources.

Maybe you should read my post.

I'm not being argumentative, I'm just disagreeing with your solution to the guy's question. Is that OK.

Smith
05-20-2006, 11:33 PM
I just copied 'The Man'.. worked great..the video is perfect (except from a tiny stutter every oncee and a while) but its barley noticable.

Thanks guys.

Oh, and I did this without AnyDVD..should I be using it?

Chip Monk
05-20-2006, 11:37 PM
I just copied 'The Man'.. worked great..the video is perfect (except from a tiny stutter every oncee and a while) but its barley noticable.

Thanks guys.

:lol:

Not if you're using DVDshrink.

However if you want good results use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. That works really well.

Virtualbody1234
05-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah, but you don't need AnyDVD if you're using DVDShrink. It's a pointless waste of resources.

Maybe you should read my post.

I'm not being argumentative, I'm just disagreeing with your solution to the guy's question. Is that OK.
AnyDVD disables newer protections that DVD Shrink doesn't. DVD Shrink isn't being updated.

I really can't see anything being a waste of resources in my method.

I just disagree with your arguments. They seem to be looking for problems that don't exist.

tesco
05-21-2006, 12:33 AM

Thanks guys.

:lol:

Not if you're using DVDshrink.
Not true.
It is useful for some movies that dvdshrink won't open.
There's other methods using different programs but they're a bit more work.

cool skill
05-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Really all you need is DVDShrink, which is a free download and whatever burning software came with the PC.

How?
Can Media Player work with DVDShrink to burn, or is there something in XP that can do it? Windows Media Player is the only thing I am able to use to burn on XP, but I'm not sure if it can do ISOs or other important burning things. As far as I know, you have to install a 3rd party software to work with DVD shrink.
How are you able to do it on XP without installing a 3rd party burning software?

Burning softwares:
I use MagicISO which is also a great burning software.
DVD decrypter is a great software to for DVD Shrink.
But I really would like to know how I can use XP alone without installing a 3rd party software.

cool skill
05-21-2006, 01:36 AM
It depends on the movie, Smith.
There are many movies out there that will not allow DVDShrink to to work its magic.
Run AnyDVD. It will be running in the background. Then procede with DVDShrink as normal. When you are finished with the burn, you may shut down AnyDVD.

I use AnyDVD with CloneDVD2.
All I do is run AnyDVD in the background.
Then I insert my Movie DVD.
Then I run Clone DVD2. It will ask me all the things I want to do. Waaaay easier than DVDShrink even though DVDShrink only took a little time to figre out.
Furthermore, with CloneDVD2, you do not need a 3rd party software for the burning part of the process. With DVD Shrink, you do.

I still have DVD Shrink, but not installed.

If anybody knows what the story is with DVDShrink, I would like to know. I went to the DVD Shrink site, and it said that if you make free software, you are legally not allowed to let anybody download it from your own website. So even though DVD Shrink created it, they are not allowed to put it on their website for me to download it. I had to get it from another website. They also say they cannot even put a link on their site to the website where DVDShrink can be dlownloaded. That makes absolutely no sense. I also heard they shut down.
http://www.dvdshrink.org/where.html

tesco
05-21-2006, 02:23 AM
I think they can't host or link to it because of heat with riaa/mpaa/whatever over the fact that it's basically used for pirating DVDs.

Chip Monk
05-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Smith,

Please do what you like, I'm not fussed either way. As I said in my first post

I prefer AnyDVD and CloneDVD2, as it is very simple to use. .

If you have two drives it will do the whole job without even thinking about it. Simply put the DVD you want cloned in one drive and a blank DVD in the other, then tell it to do it's business. If you only have one drive then create the video files onto the hard drive, then burn them. Using whatever software you normally use for burning. It will also allow you to copy just the movie without all of the extras if that's what you want.

Like I also said in my first post www.doom9.org is an excellent site for everything you need to know about video.