PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Got Any Ims From The Riaa?

chloe_cc2002
04-30-2003, 09:41 AM
"On Tuesday, the RIAA began sending thousands of instant messages to file traders using IM services on Kazaa and Grokster, warning them that trading copyrighted songs is illegal.

Curiously, contacting swappers in this manner was suggested by their opponents in the Verizon lawsuit. In the closely-watched case, the RIAA subpoenaed Verizon to turn over the names of subscribers who were suspected of pirating music online.

"We made an argument to the judge that (the RIAA) always has the option to contact the user directly rather than go through the ISP," said Verizon's associate general counsel, Sarah Deutsch. "The means to do that would be the chat feature."

One intellectual property attorney involved in the case was rather amused by the news.

"This was something that came up in the Verizon case after the recording industry claimed that they had no way of contacting end users," said Fred von Lohmann, an attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which is working on the case on behalf of consumer and privacy groups in support of Verizon.

"That's just too funny," von Lohmann said. "It's fascinating that they are now taking our advice."

A representative for the RIAA said that the group "knew of this capability separately from whatever Verizon suggested" and said that it did not get the idea to contact file swappers from Verizon.

The RIAA representative said they wanted the opportunity to warn users of peer-to-peer services, but "Verizon would have us sue and only sue."

The instant message campaign is part of a new anti-piracy "education initiative" launched by the RIAA, the Christian Music Trade Association and the Gospel Music Association.

"It's utilizing a combination of tools to educate those who illegally upload or download music," said the RIAA representative. "Instant message is one, as is possibly a letter from the RIAA after learning the identity of an illegal downloader through the information-subpoena process."

The barrage of messages began Tuesday morning. The group is using a third-party vendor to send the automated notes and they plan to send a million by the end of this week.

The instant message reads, in part:

"It appears that you are offering copyrighted music to others from your computer. Distributing or downloading copyrighted music on the Internet without permission from the copyright owner is ILLEGAL…. When you break the law, you risk legal penalties. There is a simple way to avoid that risk: DON'T STEAL MUSIC, either by offering it to others to copy or downloading it on a 'file-sharing' system like this.

"When you offer music on these systems, you are not anonymous, and you can easily be identified. You also may have unlocked and exposed your computer and your private files to anyone on the Internet. Don't take these chances. Disable the share feature or uninstall your 'file-sharing' software."

While admitting she had no idea whether the RIAA got the idea from Verizon, Deutsch wondered why the organization didn't contact users through IM earlier and called the move "interesting timing on the heels of the Morpheus decision."

On Friday, U.S. District Court Judge Stephen Wilson delivered a major victory for peer-to-peer networks when he ruled that Grokster and Morpheus file-sharing services are not liable for copyright infringement by users of their software.

"I think that the chat feature undermines many of the arguments (the RIAA) has made in the lawsuit -- that the only way to contact the user directly is through the ISP," Deutsch said.

Deutsch added that the music industry group's plan to send out a million of these automated instant messages was troubling because it "proves the RIAA's intentions to serve millions of subpoenas to service providers."

LOL

http://imahosting.com/sigs/nutto.jpg

Schmiggy_JK23
04-30-2003, 09:45 AM
I too saw this story today on some tech site.

If I get one... I will send them one back, laughing at them... lol... and tell them to me the fuck alone.

Good Going RIAA... they still dont seem to get the point... overcharging... and shitty music, and their outdated business model is hurthing them way more the piracy.

chloe_cc2002
04-30-2003, 09:58 AM
If you read all the stuff out there, in terms of informed commentary, they are not only eroding the first amendment but due process itself.

http://imahosting.com/sigs/nutto.jpg

clocker
04-30-2003, 11:01 AM
I wasn't aware that so many people were pirating Christian/gospel music.

Surely they will go to Hell! ;)

chloe_cc2002
04-30-2003, 12:13 PM

Surely they will go to Hell!

yes, indeed they are in purgatory... :D http://www.imahosting.com/sigs/picture4.jpg

Jibbler
04-30-2003, 01:58 PM
Do they really expect us to take them seriously if they are sending Instant Messages from RIAA headquarters? :huh:

VB
04-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Instant Message > IP > Post it on a public place > DDOS attack > :lol:

Benno
04-30-2003, 02:59 PM
ok maybe a stupid question but if i would get one how could i see the IP.

At least I want to give you guys something to have fun with. :D

VB
04-30-2003, 03:14 PM
type "netstat" at the command prompt.

Or a firewall that logs all traffic.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
04-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by clocker@30 April 2003 - 06:01

:unsure: :ermm: :-"

RDanneskjold
04-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by clocker@30 April 2003 - 05:01

hahhahahaha....thats just funny...lol :lol: :lol:

Kabal
04-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Hmmmm I wonder how hard it would be to modify like a Code Red type virus to do DDoS attacks on the RIAA headquarters IP addresses? Most file traders in the US would intentionally install it on their comps just to help! A hackers of the world unite type thing.

Proper Bo
04-30-2003, 06:36 PM
I found this article on my msn uk homepage, thought you might like to see it. I'd like to hear what people think of it.
http://dotmusic.msn.co.uk/chameleon/msn/ne...29228&st=normal (http://dotmusic.msn.co.uk/chameleon/msn/news.asp?id=29228&st=normal)

Schmiggy_JK23
04-30-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by clocker@30 April 2003 - 06:01

actually, i have a decent sized collection of christian music....

;) ;)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
04-30-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23+30 April 2003 - 14:09--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Schmiggy_JK23 @ 30 April 2003 - 14:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--clocker@30 April 2003 - 06:01
I wasn&#39;t aware that so many people were pirating Christian/gospel music.

Surely they will go to Hell&#33; ;)
actually, i have a decent sized collection of christian music....

;) ;) [/b][/quote]
:) Good for you.Have quite a bit also. :)

I stole my collection from MusicWorld when I was looking through his collection. ;)

ripley02
04-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by clocker@30 April 2003 - 12:01

:lol: oh man that was too funny&#33;&#33;&#33;

TIDE-HSV
04-30-2003, 09:07 PM

Clocker, this is same class of hoodlums who previously stole Gideon bibles from hotel rooms. They&#39;ve just gone high-tech.

J'Pol
04-30-2003, 09:25 PM
As it is more difficult for a rich man to get into heaven, than for a camel to get through the eye of a (or possibly the - depending on how literally you translate your hebrew) needle, I am sure the Christian / Gospel artists appreciate that sharers are saving their souls.

It has been confirmed, you are doing The Lords work by stopping people getting too rich. Your reward is in heaven.

chloe_cc2002
04-30-2003, 11:02 PM
Clocker, this is same class of hoodlums who previously stole Gideon bibles from hotel rooms. They&#39;ve just gone high-tech.

LOLOLOL

ugluk
04-30-2003, 11:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

this is just too funny&#33; :D

RealitY
05-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by chloe_cc2002@30 April 2003 - 10:41

Deutsch added that the music industry group&#39;s plan to send out a million of these automated instant messages was troubling because it "proves the RIAA&#39;s intentions to serve millions of subpoenas to service providers."
Are we all going to be standing outside the Court Room together while fighting through the insane "traffic jam" of file sharers trying to get their trial on time&#33;&#33;

Quite frankly, dosen&#39;t the Court find the whole idea of this offensive, and have they considered the amount of congestion and clogging of the Court system this would create.

kAb
05-01-2003, 01:44 AM
i haven&#39;t gotten a message.

they are also recording names of as many users as possible..

those pieces of shit have nothing better to do <_<

clocker
05-01-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@30 April 2003 - 15:07

Clocker, this is same class of hoodlums who previously stole Gideon bibles from hotel rooms.&nbsp; They&#39;ve just gone high-tech.
The ever more frequent lack of Gideon Bibles has driven me to John Grisham upon occasion.
They shall go to Hell and I have been there.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-01-2003, 05:26 AM
Good for you.Have quite a bit also.

I stole my collection from MusicWorld when I was looking through his collection.&nbsp;

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

he musta really been out of it eh? :rolleyes:

Schmiggy_JK23
05-01-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by JmiF@30 April 2003 - 16:25
As it is more difficult for a rich man to get into heaven, than for a camel to get through the eye of a (or possibly the - depending on how literally you translate your hebrew) needle, I am sure the Christian / Gospel artists appreciate that sharers are saving their souls.

It has been confirmed, you are doing The Lords work by stopping people getting too rich. Your reward is in heaven.
ROFL&#33;

Jimf... i nominate you for Top Dogg of the board when it comes to dry humor, great stuff.

:D

Jibbler
05-01-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by REALITY@30 April 2003 - 20:08
Quite frankly, dosen&#39;t the Court find the whole idea of this offensive, and have they considered the amount of congestion and clogging of the Court system this would create.
This is exactly what they want. Then they lobby congress for legislation to make it a civil crime, similar to a traffic ticket, where you can plead guilty by mail. It will be a great money making scam for an already overpriced industry. :o ;)

RealitY
05-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler+1 May 2003 - 06:59--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 1 May 2003 - 06:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--REALITY@30 April 2003 - 20:08
This is exactly what they want. Then they lobby congress for legislation to make it a civil crime, similar to a traffic ticket, where you can plead guilty by mail. It will be a great money making scam for an already overpriced industry. :o ;) [/b][/quote]
Aha, I see the light.

Though, as wishful as they may be, counting their money, I do not believe this can ever happen on a federal level, handing out such as traffic tickets on a state level. Not to mention I think people would put down their cup of "apathy" here and claim f**k that.

Besides I still wait to see what proof will be needed to prosicute dime one. It seem to me the worst that can ever happen now or prabably in the future will only be "denial of service". I have had conversations with my ISP who has told me its a 3 strike deal. If they get 3 letters, they shut you down. S**t I don&#39;t even want bb if I can&#39;t p2p anyway&#33; So f**k all.

shelby
05-01-2003, 07:17 AM
There are MILLIONS of US, if we just stand by we will risk losing, if on the other hand we get REALLY pissed the fuck off and WRITE our elected officials, WRITE any one IN the industry and explain that MILLIONS of people boycotting them will do a lot more damage than file swapping then we just may WIN.
It&#39;s similar to the NRA, enough people speaking together have a tremendous amount of power. So lets get UPPITTY and kick their ever lov&#39;n ASSES&#33;

chloe_cc2002
05-01-2003, 08:29 AM
They can just say that it is akin to the driver&#39;s licence system of giving notice. Ok, you have a ticket, as you said, and you don&#39;t pay it we will cut off your ISP. Where would it all end.....all of your information services..tv..etc...taken to the nth degree. How far into the future could we look. Telephone..etc...it starts to effect one&#39;s employment. Email is often essential to employment applications etc.

Its kind of like Strict liablity, so that if you are deemed to have been served.......sucks

There are all sorts of laws to make sure you get your mail, but there are all sorts of laws that are important to internet users that don&#39;t cover that.

Private the post offices and make the ISP&#39;s govt..being essential services.....have I lost my mind?????

In Australia people just don&#39;t use cheques anymore, things like rent etc, its all done through electronic means of some kind, eg direct debits through billpay, EFTPOS etc.

maybe I am getting carried away.....

http://www.imahosting.com/sigs/nutto.jpg

chloe_cc2002
05-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Is it possible for them to just get agreements with the states after getting the laws passed to do this. After some lobbying etc it isn&#39;t inconceivable.

In Oz private rail companies issue tickets all the time to fare evaders, so they can do it, the legal structure is all there, so they could do it in the US. Probably sounds strange to an American. The postal service is private in the US too. HOwever all the toll roads in Australia are private companies issuing tickets. They can do it. Also universities in the US are private corporations, sort of, and they have Police Departments who can issue tickets, parking infractions etc.

In actuality cities in the US are more or less private corporations, little distinction between the city of LA and Microsoft, almost identical legally.

So I don&#39;t think the barriers would be insurmountable. It is a very disturbing thing but don&#39;t discount the possibility that it could happen.

I think there are a lot of people now but more and more important than now their internet access is or WILL BE IN THE FUTURE more important to their livelihood than even their driver&#39;s licence.

Once they get a structure set up they will be able to get you kicked off one ISP and not enable you to sign up for another. They might have a condition attached to each ISP, until all fines are cleared. That is frightening and could shut it off.

Katsuro
05-01-2003, 08:34 PM
I have one thing to say to them:

http://pigseye.kennesaw.edu/~mdavis1/images/cup.jpg

Jibbler
05-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Katsuro@1 May 2003 - 16:34
I have one thing to say to them:

http://pigseye.kennesaw.edu/~mdavis1/images/cup.jpg
I second the motion. B)

hawkeye18
05-02-2003, 06:54 PM
with a chaser of &#39;Blow Me, RIAA&#39;

I think that if you do a little research, you&#39;ll find that the members of RIAA are the same people who hold the firm belief that masturbation is a sure way to hell...

hawkeye18

aka kitten_killer

p.s. Get a fecking life, RIAA&#33; Stop making crappy pop music&#33; Death to N&#39;Sync&#33; Go Navy&#33; Rah&#33;

The Knife Thrower
05-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by clocker@30 April 2003 - 11:01

Most people would rather go to hell than listen to gospel music.

chloe_cc2002
05-02-2003, 09:21 PM

Would you consider Robbie Williams as being in the category of christian music?

The Knife Thrower
05-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by chloe_cc2002@2 May 2003 - 21:21

Would you consider Robbie Williams as being in the category of christian music?
Not really. But most people would still rather go to hell than listen to it.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
05-02-2003, 10:40 PM
;) Obviously nobody has yet.I mean where are the screens shots showing anything?