PDA

View Full Version : Bloody HELL

Seedler
05-27-2006, 08:36 PM
In winter time my gfx card get as hot as around 98C which scared me and made me play my games underclocked.

Now it's summertime, but it's only 26 degrees here in Canadia, and my video card after half an hour of splinter cell is a fecking ridiculous 112 degrees.:pinch:

Wtf...I would have thought the plastic would have melted by then...if ATI tools was indeed accurate.:blink:

But since the temps are always like that maybe normal ATI cards temps are like that?

tesco
05-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Is that celsius? :O
I think the max is around 120, but i wouldn't want it over 50 :blink:

Virtualbody1234
05-27-2006, 09:39 PM
What cooling are you using?

silent h3ro
05-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Damn, Canada is cold as hell (lol, irony). I would also like to know your cooling because thats fecking terrible.

cpt_azad
05-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Dude that is harsh terrible, is your computer on the floor (carpeted???), put it on top of a desk in a well ventilated area (and I mean well, not in some cubby or w/e). Put in some more beefier fans (if ur PSU allows for them). And if that fails, then the computer gods must hate you lol

Seedler
05-28-2006, 02:16 AM
I put my rig on a stand on the carpet, and I have two 80mm exhuast fans. The CPU and mobo temps are around 30ish, which are completely normal for AMD.

It's just my fecking vid card, I'm scared to play any games now because at the coolest my vid card hits around 90C.

The weirdest thing is that the air that's blowing out of the back is cool to the touch, and that there is a vid card fan blowing like mad.

I'm so surprised my vid card hasn't melted yet, because it's 58 degrees idle.

If only they can combine ATI cards' torlerance of heat, and Nvidia's efficiency, we'd have one hell of an overclockable gfx card.

Virtualbody1234
05-28-2006, 02:57 AM
Maybe the heatsink isn't making good contact with the GPU. Something to check. Add thermal paste if necessary.

Or maybe a better cooling solution altogether. Check out aftermarket coolers.

Seedler
05-28-2006, 03:00 AM
Maybe the heatsink isn't making good contact with the GPU. Something to check. Add thermal paste if necessary.

Or maybe a better cooling solution altogether. Check out aftermarket coolers.

Please expand:

1. Thermal paste on a GPU? Where and how?:mellow:

2. Aftermarket coolers?:blink:

bigdawgfoxx
05-28-2006, 04:18 AM
http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134
^How to apply thermal paste to a cpu..basically the same as GPU.

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=System%20Cooling/se=Chipset::GPU%20Coolers/mp=menu_search.html
^Aftermarket GPU coolers.

A good thing to try is to buy a new GPU cooler, then apply thermal paste to the new cooler and attach it to the GPU. Im still not sold on those temperatures being accurate though...

Edit: I just now noticed that your card is overclocked a decent amount. 400/980 is the original speeds and your a decent amount above that at 560mhz/1.08ghz. If you can only run games half settings or they crash, you need to lower your overclock and check the stability.

tesco
05-28-2006, 05:49 AM
If only they can combine ATI cards' torlerance of heat, and Nvidia's efficiency, we'd have one hell of an overclockable gfx card.Your saying that the card running hot is a good thing for overclocking? :lol:

Anyway, my nvidia card also runs pretty hot...50-60degrees C (idle-load)

Seedler
05-28-2006, 06:38 PM
http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134
^How to apply thermal paste to a cpu..basically the same as GPU.

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=System%20Cooling/se=Chipset::GPU%20Coolers/mp=menu_search.html
^Aftermarket GPU coolers.

A good thing to try is to buy a new GPU cooler, then apply thermal paste to the new cooler and attach it to the GPU. Im still not sold on those temperatures being accurate though...

Edit: I just now noticed that your card is overclocked a decent amount. 400/980 is the original speeds and your a decent amount above that at 560mhz/1.08ghz. If you can only run games half settings or they crash, you need to lower your overclock and check the stability.

I used PC probe to get my gfx card temp as well and yes believe it or not, the temps given by ATI tools are accurate.

Running at 560mhz/1.08ghz is artifact free tho, I ran the test on ATI tools for over 2 hours.

Seedler
05-28-2006, 06:39 PM
[quote=Seedler]my nvidia card also runs pretty hot...50-60degrees C (idle-load)

Yah, that's buring hot compared to 112 degrees.

clocker
05-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Yah, that's buring hot compared to 112 degrees.
Do I sense sarcasm?

All of you guys' temps seem extreme to me.
There are lots of aftermarket coolers out there, why not give one a spin?

Seedler
05-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Today the temp here in Canadia actually got up to a staggering 32C, with 38C humidex.

Comp temps after idling for 3 hours:

CPU-45C
Mobo-46C
Gfx Card-68C

FUCKING HELL

Seriously, my comp is already overheating idling? WTF...

The air blowing out the back is hot, so definitely there's something wrong with my comp.

I'll look into it and maybe I'll have to buy new coolers and apply thermal paste and...:frusty:

Seedler
05-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Gonna shut down 'cause I'm scared, I'll only use my comp at night when it's cooler.:ph34r:

clocker
05-29-2006, 08:23 PM
32C and you're complaining?

Sheesh, that's barely 90 F...your PC should easily be able to deal with temps like that.
Are you sure the fan on your graphic card hasn't failed?

j2k4
05-29-2006, 08:35 PM
...I have two 80mm exhuast fans.

There's your problem, right there...the transposed vowel models are notoriously inefficient. :P

clocker
05-29-2006, 08:41 PM
You'd better watch the sarcasm there. j2.

A short canoe ride and you have a very pissed off Canuk at your doorstep.

j2k4
05-29-2006, 08:59 PM
You'd better watch the sarcasm there. j2.

A short canoe ride and you have a very pissed off Canuk at your doorstep.

Just revealing my lack of actual knowledge on the subject. :)

Besides which, the closest canoe-able waterway is several doorsteps away.

He hasn't the wherewithal to locate me without my knowledge; the compound is rather well-policed.

lynx
05-29-2006, 09:59 PM
So he'd be up the creek without a paddle. :pinch:

clocker
05-29-2006, 10:54 PM
So he'd be up the creek without a paddle. :pinch:
Isn't that the definition of "canadian" anyway?

Seedler
05-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Candism-New term coined.

Descrimination against Canadiaian people.:dry:

It's very very rare that you see temps go up to 30+, usually we get this temp for like a month of the year so we don't know what to do.

I guess I should open my case and make sure all the fans are working.

Virtualbody1234
05-30-2006, 01:58 AM
... and that there is a vid card fan blowing like mad.

I guess I should open my case and make sure all the fans are working.

You mean to say that the case hasn't been opened yet to check that the fans are working? How could you have known near the beginning of this thread that the "vid card fan is blowing like mad"?

I find it very difficult to work with you when you don't provide acurate information.

Seedler
05-31-2006, 01:38 AM
Before I just assumed it, because I took off the case fans and I still heard a loud blowing sound.

Virtualbody1234
05-31-2006, 01:40 AM
Right. So what happening now?

suprafreak6
05-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Before I just assumed it, because I took off the case fans and I still heard a loud blowing sound.

coulda been the psu my friend, your never know until you see it with your own two eyes...learnt your lesson now didnt you?

Seedler
06-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Right. So what happening now?

Yes all the fans are working, I just have to make sure that the heatsink is connected to the GPU correctly.

How do I check that?:blink:

suprafreak6
06-02-2006, 06:41 PM
haha, you could take it off but then it obviously wouldnt be connected correctly
:lol: