PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh (AVG found me)

maebach
05-31-2006, 07:50 PM
First time I've ever seen this from any program :mellow: :mellow:
Has this happened to anybody else? What now>? :ermm:

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/4651/avg3si.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

NeoTheOne
05-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Why pay , AVG has a free version lol?

zapjb
06-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Damn it. BECOME LEGAL!:lol:

Actually AVG put it to you very nicely. I've had programs (don't remember which) that said they were going to prosecute me to the full extent of the law.

Course it was just a misunderstanding. :whistling And nothing came of it.

peat moss
06-01-2006, 01:04 AM
I use to see it a lot with programs like System Mechanic when you updated ,it would shut down your computer then tell you on restart that it was a pirated copy .

Pissed me off big time but with an Anti-virus program your stuck you have to update . Google for a crack or look for a freebie version like Neo suggested but would do it in a hurry , would 'nt trust your AVG .

Seedler
06-01-2006, 02:38 AM
rofl...just get the free version.

maebach
06-01-2006, 03:10 AM
I tihnk Ill uninstall it and put the *special* version of nod32 on itt :lookaroun

Delorean
06-01-2006, 04:07 AM
I tihnk Ill uninstall it and put the *special* version of nod32 on itt :lookaroun

Just what i was about to propose you!

Just uninstall the damn program and install NOD32

zapjb
06-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Use this guide http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=131758
or this http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509 to get maximum protection from NOD32. The default settings aren't enough. :) NOD32 rulez!

Chewie
06-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Once you've got NOD32 installed, run a full scan just for fun.
Then let us know how many nasties AVG missed. :)

xadio
06-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Get a corporate version of symantec.

Hairbautt
06-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Get a corporate version of symantec.:D I second that.

Chewie
06-02-2006, 11:42 PM
I don't, and won't any more.
I've removed Symantec antivirus software from three computers in the past month because I found a trojan on one. 3 to 6 viruses/trojans were spotted by Kaspersky v5 after installation on each.

peat moss
06-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Get a corporate version of symantec.:D I second that.

Ya me two . Or is that three ? :)

suprafreak6
06-03-2006, 03:48 AM
:D I second that.

i hate that program, it uses way too many resources for what its actually doing, and its not as good as they say, from my experiences of course:stars:

peat moss
06-03-2006, 04:13 AM
i hate that program, it uses way too many resources for what its actually doing, and its not as good as they say, from my experiences of course:stars:

I'v never had a virus in 10 years of playing with computers, Norton flavors is all I know . Symantec Corp . I recommend for most of my friends so I don' t have to worry about expire dates . Most have newer computers with 512 mb memory and high end cpu's . Can't say Ive every had a virus problem with most I'v set up .

Trojans is a another matter but I usually set up GIANT and Symantic's client Firewall . Would be willing to try anouther program ......... but why ? :huh:

peat moss
06-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Patience I know , not my strong point sorry for the double post .

swfattitude
06-03-2006, 01:06 PM
My condolences about AVG

Delorean
06-03-2006, 04:43 PM
[/QUOTE]
I'v never had a virus in 10 years of playing with computers, Norton flavors is all I know . Symantec Corp . I recommend for most of my friends so I don' t have to worry about expire dates . Most have newer computers with 512 mb memory and high end cpu's . Can't say Ive every had a virus problem with most I'v set up .

Trojans is a another matter but I usually set up GIANT and Symantic's client Firewall . Would be willing to try anouther program ......... but why ? :huh:[/QUOTE]
As a firewall i heard Symantec's is good! However, i can't say the same about its AV! Even with a Strong pc you may still experience slowdowns on multitasking!
Anw a VERY good option is NOD32! As for trojan's i Use Zone Alarm firewall!
Trust me NOD and ZA are an excellent pair!

Rjones
06-08-2006, 09:00 PM
i had the same alert, so I changed too NOD 32 :P

erRor67
06-09-2006, 02:33 AM
AVG isnt that good (IMO). there are better ones like NOD32 or Kaspersky. As for Symantec and Norton, I never liked them.

I use to use Norton a few years back and I got infected by a virus real bad. Lost everything. Then just last year my friend was using Norton and she got infected by a virus. It tried to spread itself via AIM and sent IMs to all her buddies.. Naturally, I got one and sent me a link to download some photos. Since she is my friend and I trust her, I clicked the link.. Luckily NOD32 came to the rescue before anything bad happened (to me). :)

Yoga
06-09-2006, 03:49 AM
Nod32 = :D

Chewie
06-09-2006, 08:31 AM
AVG isnt that good (IMO). there are better ones like NOD32 or Kaspersky. As for Symantec and Norton, I never liked them.

I use to use Norton a few years back and I got infected by a virus real bad. Lost everything. Then just last year my friend was using Norton and she got infected by a virus. It tried to spread itself via AIM and sent IMs to all her buddies.. Naturally, I got one and sent me a link to download some photos. Since she is my friend and I trust her, I clicked the link.. Luckily NOD32 came to the rescue before anything bad happened (to me). :)
On Tuesday I picked up a broadband-connected computer that didn't have an anti-virus, a firewall or any anti-malware programs installed at all.
It had about 1800 infected files, countless trojans and what appeared to be every adware/spyware threat known to man.
Took it back last night, completely clean and only lost the printer software.

I can't remember the last time a virus forced me to re-install Windows - if at all.