PDA

View Full Version : Network problem

Damnatory
05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
This seemed like the proper place compared to the other forums, but...

I installed a Linksys 4-port router for my Dad's boss, but I'm having trouble getting one of the computers to connect to the other.

This may be confusing to type out, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

There are two computers both running Win2k, let's call them A & B.

I've connected the modem into the router, and both the computers. Voila, they both get internet access. Computer A is able to connect to computer B via the My Network Places> Computers Near Me. However trying to do that the opposite way, yields an unknown network path error.

Computer A can connect directly to B by using the Run command \\192.168.1.101

B cannot connect to A using either method. Nor will it even ping the intranet IP in the dos prompt. (192.168.1.100)

Both computers are set to obtain IP's automatically, because when I set a specific IP for each, they both stop recognizing one another.

I can't figure out why computer A has complete access over B, but B can see that computer B is there, but won't connect, and shows unknown network path errors...

Hope that isn't too confusing. It's bugging the crap out of me, because it just doensn't make sense.

Hope someone has had a similar problem and can help.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Here I made a crude little image to help understand the setup...
http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/1994/computersetup6qb.jpg

Virtualbody1234
05-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Temporarily disable software firewalls and retry.

Damnatory
06-01-2006, 02:49 AM
I believe I tried that once, however I think it may have been while I asigned a specific IP to each machine. As well as the fact that his firewall apps were extremely persistant.

He does have a crap load of software on the troublesome computer that disables alot of programs from opening without authorization.

The one that I had the most trouble with was one called BlackIce, which I had to stop it's application protection to even open up IE and FireFox... So that along with the McAfee security sweet he had, may be the problem.

But would a software firewall like that give an unknown network path error? I would think that it would at least ask if you would like to allow the connection? I see where you're going with that though VB, and I appreciate the suggestion. I'll definately try to disable it... Or maybe even safemode with networking?

clocker
06-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Are both PC part of the same workgroup?

Just a guess...networking ain't my strong suit...

Damnatory
06-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Are both PC part of the same workgroup?

Just a guess...networking ain't my strong suit...
Yep, both are in the workgroup: "WORKGROUP".