PDA

View Full Version : 16x9 video question

cpt_azad
06-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Movie description said it was 16x9, so i download it and what do u know, they encoded it to 16x9, but when i maximize on my widescreen (which IS 16x9) there are still black spaces on the top and bottom.

Question is, are there any programs out there that I can use to crop/edit out the black spaces on the top and bottom? Without too much of a hassle of course, I mean, I'm pretty sure every single frame in that movie, the black space on the top and bottom will be in the same location (they don't move around lol).

Any suggestions? :happy:

Jalan
06-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Try using VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) in conjunction with a graphics editing program such as Photoshop, the GIMP, etc.

Also, alternatively (or as a first option, with the above being the alternative choice) you could try Adobe Premiere Elements/Pro.

cpt_azad
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Alright thanks, any tutorials (for the adobe program)?

Jalan
06-01-2006, 11:16 PM
I don't know of an exact tutorial (personally, I do no video editing) but you could try looking:

Here (http://studio.adobe.com/us/search/sort?sort=topic&product=26&topic=0&type=all&level=all&x=9&y=6)
or here. (http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Premiere/1)

... and if they don't turn up anything useful, when in doubt - Google. heh

Appzalien
06-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Virtual Dub is pretty easy but in order to crop you will have to reencode the video. Keeping the audio as direct stream process and video as full process select your desired codec and settings for the video you want and then open the filters section. In filters click add and find Null Transform and open it then select crop. Use the slider to find an area of the movie where you can see the top and bottom of the picture real good and then use the Y crop (I think its Y) to grey out the black bars being very careful when you get close to match exactly. Some codecs reqiure specific sizes for hieght and width, if when you go to save the file, it refuses, go back into null transform and change either the top or bottom by one and try again. If you do the sides the same goes for them.

tesco
06-03-2006, 06:45 PM
If you play the movie in Media Player Classic you can hit 9 and 1 on the numpad to zoom in and out on the movie...basically that will remove the lines on the bottom but you will be losing the sides of the movie.

If you reencode you will either have the same thing happen OR have black lines on the sides instead of the top and bottom, unless you make the movie taller (stretching everything and making it look like shit).

cpt_azad
06-04-2006, 05:26 AM
If you play the movie in Media Player Classic you can hit 9 and 1 on the numpad to zoom in and out on the movie...basically that will remove the lines on the bottom but you will be losing the sides of the movie.

If you reencode you will either have the same thing happen OR have black lines on the sides instead of the top and bottom, unless you make the movie taller (stretching everything and making it look like shit).

Damnit! I'll give it a try anyway, see how it turns out.

harrycary
06-05-2006, 11:33 PM
em, zooming-in will also increase the pixel size. kind of a crappy way of doing it. but I suppose if you don't mind a poor picture and all...