PDA

View Full Version : Laptop for college

abu_has_the_power
06-04-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm going into architecture @ University of New York this fall.
i need a laptop....hmmmm....

i'm thinking of a tablet... i got to use them in high school (jr and sr years), and it's pretty sweet. they were toshiba base models, but still pretty damn good.

do i need a tablet? i'm not sure if architecture will need a tablet, but it couldn't hurt right? :lookaroun

if not, i want an ultraportable. something that weighs under 5lbs for sure. i don't need to play games. i'll need it for basic multimedia (downloading/viewing movies, tv-out, dvd-burning, video editing, etc) and autocad type stuff. i've found that maya 7.0 runs on really shitty old computers, i don't think it's a big deal that i get top o' line processing power.

what are some brands i should be looking at? i don't plan on buying anything till august, so i got some time to decide.
i don't want to go over $1800 ish

i saw a really really nice toshiba tablet @ office depot the other day for $999. :happy:

also, i'll be living in an apartment (i have to travel for business, so i can't do dorms sadly), and i'll be hooking up a nice 5.1 or 6.1 surround to it, so it better sound good. although i could buy a creative audigy for laptops

gevorg
06-15-2006, 06:55 AM
If you can, wait until August, since Intel will introduce new CPUs (Core Due 2), so there will be good price drops from both Intel and AMD.
Checkout this forum:
http://www.notebookforums.com/

abu_has_the_power
06-15-2006, 04:17 PM
theres going to b core duo 2???

but core duo just came out

anyways, i just bought the dell e1505

suprafreak6
06-15-2006, 07:12 PM
pictures?specs?anything?

Virtualbody1234
06-15-2006, 07:22 PM
pictures?specs?anything?
Haven't you heard that there is a thing called "the INTERNET"? I've heard that it can provide you with information.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/entnb_e1505?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

suprafreak6
06-16-2006, 05:06 AM
im a busy man..okay...i dont have time for such foolish things as the INTERNET
:P looks nice..thanks for the link vb

clocker
06-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Haven't you heard that there is a thing called "the INTERNET"? I've heard that it can provide you with information.
What is the best internet?
I tried that thing called Goggle and wasn't impressed.
I was searching for "bewbs" and nothing happened.

I think all you people are lying.

100%
06-16-2006, 10:35 AM
autocad doesnt need much power but microstation does - depends what your unii will be using

abu_has_the_power
06-16-2006, 11:56 AM
i feel kinda jipped now with the whole core duo 2 thing coming out in aug.

please tell me it'll be more expensive than the core duo?

and how much of a performance difference will there be?