PDA

View Full Version : .Ape Format

LilAznAccommodator
06-10-2006, 02:31 AM
Dear Readers,

Funniest thing happened as I have never encountered this before.. But on eMule I dl'ed an OST to a Movie... And it is in a format I have never came across .ape and also it does have a .cue file with it as well.

But I am not sure as to how to emm 'open' the file ot see the songs /etc. Anyone happen to have any ideas?

d5dd
06-10-2006, 05:25 AM
I found this, http://www.monkeysaudio.com/ - Monkey audio APE

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/download.html it decompresses it so this should help.

LilAznAccommodator
06-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Hehe yeah I tried the program but when I decompress it.. it is still one file and when I convert it.. no diff ><

lynx
06-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Ape files are usually complete albums, ripped as a single file to wav format then compressed to ape format.

When you uncompress them you get the single wav file back, but the cue file has information about the track names/splits.

Load the cue file into nero and you can create the album with the original track index.

The Winamp plugin should allow you to see/play the individual tracks without burning the cd.

LilAznAccommodator
06-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Hmmm the Winamp Plugin doens't do such a thing.. It just plays teh file as one LONG song(An Hour+)

lynx
06-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Hmmm the Winamp Plugin doens't do such a thing.. It just plays teh file as one LONG song(An Hour+)I think you have to load the cue file, not the wav.

LilAznAccommodator
06-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Bah either way... Thanks for the help I gave up trying to figure it out and just slowly searched for each individual track. Thanks though, glad to know I can find help here when I need it.

kinex
06-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Ape files are usually complete albums, ripped as a single file to wav format then compressed to ape format.

When you uncompress them you get the single wav file back, but the cue file has information about the track names/splits.

Load the cue file into nero and you can create the album with the original track index.

The Winamp plugin should allow you to see/play the individual tracks without burning the cd.

Yepp you are correct. Ape is a lossless format.

A more widely used lossless music format is flac. Ape works exactly the same way. Check out monkeysaudio.com for all the things you need to know :D

It's a great format. You can even get plugins to play it directly in foobar and winamp from that site :)