PDA

View Full Version : WGA notification tool uninstaller

zapjb
06-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Got the author gkweb permission to post a link to the the original post. Which has the dl link. But not to uploadit or to post the direct dl link.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=774573#post774573
A little from the post.

After having read many threads on various forums, I found that everyone is using his own manual method to remove the possibly installed Microsoft WGA notification tool. Some boot into safe mode and create empty 0Kb WgaLogon.dll file, others will use the NTFS permissions to remove the execution flag from the files (WgaLogon.dll and WgaTray.exe), others will try to remove the registry entry loading the DLL, and finally some uses all methods.

All of these methods may not be convenient for everyone, and are anyway not automated. I have created a small tool removing the WGA notification

lynx
06-14-2006, 06:31 PM
I simply make a restore point before I do any updates, that way I can always go back. And every so often I make a Ghost image of the system drive too.

zapjb
06-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Well this is not for you or I lynx. It's for those that errored on this.

peat moss
06-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Ti's a shame our thread on WGA was deleted after the big crash of 6/9/6 . :dry:

Nice one thanx Zap .

lee551
06-18-2006, 08:16 PM
a buddy of mine dumped a machine off on me to clean up. it had the WGA installed; quite annoying. this tool worked 110%. many thanks!

tesco
07-05-2006, 11:31 PM
My dad's computer got 'infected' (:P) by this a few days ago and it's been annoying the helll out of him so I'll try this to remove it...

Thanks zapjb.

tesco
07-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Tried it and it removed. Thanks zapjb. :)

I also changed the product key to one that works with microsft update so we shouldn't have this problem again. :)

peat moss
07-06-2006, 12:30 AM

I also changed the product key to one that works with microsft update so we shouldn't have this problem again. :)

Ross you should uncheck the winupdate aswell , to never ask again I think its called ? :unsure: The install WGA I mean , its one of those posts that you read again and think, did I explain that right ? :O Your a smart guy but just wanted to make it clear .

Rip The Jacker
07-06-2006, 01:00 AM
What are the odds of this WGA stuff being on my computer?

I bought my computer in Jan 2006.
I have a legit copy of Windows XP Home.
I have not used Windows Update or Automatic Updates ever since I bought my computer.

I shouldn't have to worry right?

lynx
07-06-2006, 01:07 AM

I have not used Windows Update or Automatic Updates ever since I bought my computer.

I shouldn't have to worry right?yeh, right. :dry:

tesco
07-06-2006, 02:35 AM

Ross you should uncheck the winupdate aswell , to never ask again I think its called ? :unsure: The install WGA I mean , its one of those posts that you read again and think, did I explain that right ? :O Your a smart guy but just wanted to make it clear .Don't worry I gotcha. :)
I just turned off automatic updates so shouldn't have a problem.:idunno:

Rip The Jacker
07-06-2006, 05:18 AM

I shouldn't have to worry right?yeh, right. :dry: What? =/

Really... should I be worried? I don't understand really what this WGA is and what it does...

spenz
07-06-2006, 04:42 PM
yea turning off automatic update is pretty much the trick if you want to avoid that thing..^_^