PDA

View Full Version : Strachan Quote

Chip Monk
06-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Re Boruc (T'Hoops Keeper), who played well against T'Germans

Hansen - Did you buy him Gordon?

Strachan - Aye, well ah used Celtic's money like.

Quality

Spider_dude
06-14-2006, 09:07 PM
shame the krauts got a jammy as fuck goal.

DanB
06-14-2006, 09:08 PM
true. would have been ok if it was Klose as he is in my fantsy world cup team

Chip Monk
06-14-2006, 09:09 PM
I was looking forward to a night of schadenfreude, just for the irony of it.

How many people here will understand that I wonder.

Seedler
06-15-2006, 02:49 AM

I'm afraid not very many:SympatheticallyAgreePretendingToUnderstand:

Chip Monk
06-15-2006, 08:08 AM

I'm afraid not very many:SympatheticallyAgreePretendingToUnderstand:
You're an idiot.

Barbarossa
06-15-2006, 09:42 AM
According to babelfish, Schweinsteiger translates as "pig riser" :blink:

4play
06-15-2006, 09:48 AM
dont any of you lot watch the simpsons.

Barbarossa
06-15-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't.

4play
06-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Lisa : Dad, do you know what Schadenfreude is?
Homer : <sarcasm> No, I do not know what Schadenfreude is. Please tell me because I'm dying to know.
Lisa: It's a German term for shameful joy, taking pleasure in the suffering of others.
Homer: Oh, come on, Lisa. I'm just glad to see him fall flat on his butt! He's usually all happy and comfortable, and surrounded by loved ones, and it makes me feel... what's the opposite of that shameful joy thing of yours?
Lisa : sour grapes
Homer : Boy, those Germans have a word for everything

manker
06-15-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't think JP was wondering who knows what schadenfreude is. That is fairly obvious - and if it isn't, you can Google.

I think he was wondering if anyone would understand why he was hoping for a night of revelling in another's misfortune and why their misfortune would be ironic.

The answer being he would be delighted if Germany lost to Poland because it would deeply hurt them as a nation, just as Poland had been deeply hurt as a nation by the Germans all those years ago.

When I say 'just as', what I mean to say is that the two events don't compare but short of invading Germany and killing a brazillion huns, it's as close as they're gonna get.

Chip Monk
06-15-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't think JP was wondering who knows what schadenfreude is. That is fairly obvious - and if it isn't, you can Google.

I think he was wondering if anyone would understand why he was hoping for a night of revelling in another's misfortune and why their misfortune would be ironic.

The answer being he would be delighted if Germany lost to Poland because it would deeply hurt them as a nation, just as Poland had been deeply hurt as a nation by the Germans all those years ago.

When I say 'just as', what I mean to say is that the two events don't compare but short of invading Germany and killing a brazillion huns, it's as close as they're gonna get.

Nah, it was the word thing.

manker
06-15-2006, 11:00 AM
:lol: :earl:

Chip Monk
06-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Tho', to be fair I had mused on the irony of the sporting event / previous invasion thing earlier in the day, but it wasn't in my mind when making the post.

Perhaps subconciously, who knows. That Darren Brown has a lot to answer for with his subconcious jedi mind games and so forth.