PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Let Me Ask A Dumb Question!

Spindulik
05-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Don't flame me yet.

Before I had broadband, I had no need to send large files. It was not feasable then, on a 56k modem. E-Mail was just fine.

Now that a lot of people I know are getting broadband internet, my 10mB E-MAil limit is not enough.

What program, if any, do I use to send huge files from my computer, to another, using broadband via the internet? I am talking like 100mb and higher. I will need a program the can continue aborted file transfer connections. A program that doesn't have banners and ads, one that is FREE too.

mobboss01
05-01-2003, 10:22 PM
You will need to get two free ftp programs:

1. SmartFTP - to enter ip addresses and access you friends computer to download or upload something.

2. BulletProof FTP server - so that your friends can access your shared files and dl from you.

Both are free and without banners. Do a google search for them. Do a search on this forum to find a pinned instuction guide to help you set it up.

EDIT: Cool avatar, it tripped me up.

Spindulik
05-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Thanks. I am going to give it a try! :D :D

nsf003
05-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Bulletproof FTP is not free. Their site gave me a 30 day trial.

nsf003

ugluk
05-02-2003, 12:46 AM
so get a key... :pirate:

Nightwolf
05-02-2003, 05:50 AM
That's not a dumb question. My email limit is only 5MB and I was wondering the same thing. So let's say I get Bulletproof and setup my computer as an FTP server... then do my friends have to use SmartFTP, or will any FTP client work?

thisiswhoweare
05-02-2003, 11:08 AM
any

ShareActor
05-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Or use Outlook.. go to Extra/Accounts/Email/Properties/Advanced/ and enable SENDING (Split messages bigger than...)
Make sure your friend opens his/her email with outlook though.

He/she will get DAT files first, and Outlook melts them together again when finished downloading as 1 email.

mobboss01
05-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Or use Outlook.. go to Extra/Accounts/Email/Properties/Advanced/ and enable SENDING (Split messages bigger than...)

He/she will get DAT files first, and Outlook melts them together again when finished downloading as 1 email.

Interesting!

Nightwolf
05-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by ShareActor@2 May 2003 - 06:15

Wow, I learned something else new today! I can't believe I never heard that before. It makes sense though, just like Outlook splits and combines binaries from newsgroups. Thanks for the info, ShareActor.

NotoriousBIC
05-02-2003, 10:02 PM
If you want a freeware alternative to Bulletproof Ftp Server try GuildFtpd (http://www.guildftpd.com/)
A very easy and save ftp server.