PDA

View Full Version : Razr V3m

Legolas
06-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Since the razr is probably the most popular electronic device known to man, i decided to buy one. Overall, im pretty happy with my purchase. I managed to get music onto it, albeit wma, and the headphone jack doesnt fit normal headphones. My main concern is getting pictures off of the phone onto the computer via a standard usb chord. If anyone here has a razr and is willing to impart certain words of wisdom, id appreciate any advice u all knowing wisemen have to give. Thanks in advance.

manker
06-18-2006, 11:16 PM
You need to have BVRP Mobile Phone Tools software. It came free with the phone when I bought it a year or so ago.

Without that, your phone won't be able to communicate with your PC.

Proper Bo
06-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Since the razr is probably the most popular electronic device known to man,

I would have said something like the tv was more popular:unsure:

tesco
06-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Or telephone. :blink:

Legolas
06-18-2006, 11:46 PM
I have already downloaded mobile phone tools. When I get to the screen telling me to plug the phone in, I do and it just keeps trying to configure it. After performing a live update, I was able to get the program to recognize the phone as a motorola modem, or something to that effect, and I managed to set it up manually. However, after it's all been set up, the multimedia section of the program is grayed out- it is not an available option. All the necessary drivers seem to be there. Do you know what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

manker
06-18-2006, 11:48 PM
No idea, it worked straight off the bat for me :dabs:

Smith
06-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Actually the iPod is the most popular electronic device right now..along with the computer.

Busyman™
06-18-2006, 11:59 PM
This will be the most popular mobile phone.

http://www.motorola.com/mot/image/13/13964_MotImage.jpg

I love it. I've been making my own ringtones for it with software on WinXp.

manker
06-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Actually the iPod is the most popular electronic device right now..along with the computer.
We need a mong smiley.

lee551
06-19-2006, 12:01 AM
i was just reading reviews of this phone the other day and i came across some reviews that might help you out.

this (http://reviews.cnet.com/Motorola_Razr_V3m/4869-6454_7-31824957.html?messageSiteID=7&messageID=1995941&cval=1995941;2006470&ctype=msgid;cmsgid&commentMessageID=2006470) one talks about possibily requiring some mods to your phone before you can transfer pics via the usb.

Music will sync without any mods or software, but if you want to transfer pics you will need to mod the phone and use MPT. Also with the mods you can turn on the vibrate then ring function, and make the volume go up to 7 instead of 5. You can also replace the Verizon banner with whatever text you would like.If you are like me, and take lots of pics with your phone, sending them over the Verizon network, at .25 a picture can add up quickly.

i currently don't have verizon, but i think the v3m would be badass. too bad it's an f-in verizon exclusive. i think i'm gonna search the forum to see if we've had any good recent cell phone discussions.

Proper Bo
06-19-2006, 12:02 AM

I imagine more people have televisions than ipods, you stupid fucking cunt. ;)

edited for harshness

Legolas
06-19-2006, 01:17 AM
@leo

Thanks for the info. I've looked further into the matter, and I have gotten the phone to work with mobile phone tools 4.21. However, the multimedia section is still blanked out. Upon further digging, I came upon a website instructing me to "Seem 2742/offset 6A/Bit 0... "check the box"". Supposedly, this simple mod will enable the multimedia function in mobile phone tools to work with the razr v3m. Performing this mod would seemingly solve all my problems. Supposedly, the greedy bastard that is Verizon disabled this feature in order to restrict people to paying 25 cents a picture. Can anyone tell me please how to perform this "seem edit"? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Skiz
06-19-2006, 01:22 AM
I have already downloaded mobile phone tools. When I get to the screen telling me to plug the phone in, I do and it just keeps trying to configure it. After performing a live update, I was able to get the program to recognize the phone as a motorola modem, or something to that effect, and I managed to set it up manually. However, after it's all been set up, the multimedia section of the program is grayed out- it is not an available option. All the necessary drivers seem to be there. Do you know what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

I also used Mobile Phone Tools when I had that pos phone. Like manker said though, it was self explanatory and worked right off.

Busyman™
06-19-2006, 02:56 AM

I also used Mobile Phone Tools when I had that pos phone. Like manker said though, it was self explanatory and worked right off.
Funny you said that (pos). Everyone I know around here says the phone is a pos also. After you get past the thinness of it, it's really just an average/below average phone.

I only got a Motorola Q 'cause my Palm Treo got dark lcd spot on it and the Q was only $200. I like the Windows Mobile platform 'cause I can rip whole songs right into it and trim them down to make them ringtones....and it's thinnest PDA I have ever seen. I also like how the mini-USB is looking to become standard for charging AND computer connection. I always hated buying new accesories when buying a new phone.

The Verizon Wireless rep told me I can get a bluetooth headset, case, and car charger for $70. I'm checking the internet first but it seems like a good deal. I was supposed to get the new Treo but that motherfucker is $400. Fuck that!

The Moto Q looks like it could a nice Player's phone. You get a woman's number, take her picture, and you'll never forget whothefuck she is.

Skiz
06-19-2006, 06:15 AM
Funny you said that (pos). Everyone I know around here says the phone is a pos also. After you get past the thinness of it, it's really just an average/below average phone.

I only got a Motorola Q 'cause my Palm Treo got dark lcd spot on it and the Q was only $200. I like the Windows Mobile platform 'cause I can rip whole songs right into it and trim them down to make them ringtones....and it's thinnest PDA I have ever seen. I also like how the mini-USB is looking to become standard for charging AND computer connection. I always hated buying new accesories when buying a new phone.

The Verizon Wireless rep told me I can get a bluetooth headset, case, and car charger for $70. I'm checking the internet first but it seems like a good deal. I was supposed to get the new Treo but that motherfucker is $400. Fuck that!

The Moto Q looks like it could a nice Player's phone. You get a woman's number, take her picture, and you'll never forget whothefuck she is.

I could go on and on about chitty that phone was. :dry:

I have the Samsung t809 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sDIW2EBBmd4&search=t809) now, and imo, this phone is flawless. It's easily the best phone I've ever owned.

As to the PDA's, I think I'd really like one if I actually thought I'd utilize it. I don't even use the calender, games, etc on my current phone. It's just a phone as far as I'm concerned. It records video (though I've never used it)and has (from what I hear) the best camera on any phone. 1.3 MP. Is that good? I think it look like shit.

As far getting numbers of ladies and using the picture, that's a good idea I guess, though it might be a bit awkward taking a mugshot of the chica you just met. My system for years has been to enter her name followed by a rating of 1-10. That way if I don't remember who she is or what she looks like, I know not to answer the phone when "shelly3" calls. :frusty:

thewizeard
06-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Since the razr is probably the most popular electronic device known to man, i decided to buy one. Overall, im pretty happy with my purchase. I managed to get music onto it, albeit wma, and the headphone jack doesnt fit normal headphones. My main concern is getting pictures off of the phone onto the computer via a standard usb chord. If anyone here has a razr and is willing to impart certain words of wisdom, id appreciate any advice u all knowing wisemen have to give. Thanks in advance.

I always thought it was The Vibrator :blink:

manker
06-19-2006, 09:13 AM

I have the Samsung t809 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sDIW2EBBmd4&search=t809) now, and imo, this phone is flawless. It's easily the best phone I've ever owned.

As to the PDA's, I think I'd really like one if I actually thought I'd utilize it. I don't even use the calender, games, etc on my current phone. It's just a phone as far as I'm concerned. It records video (though I've never used it)and has (from what I hear) the best camera on any phone. 1.3 MP. Is that good? I think it look like shit.

As far getting numbers of ladies and using the picture, that's a good idea I guess, though it might be a bit awkward taking a mugshot of the chica you just met. My system for years has been to enter her name followed by a rating of 1-10. That way if I don't remember who she is or what she looks like, I know not to answer the phone when "shelly3" calls. :frusty:
Heh, the US phone market is soooo far behind.

I agree, tho', the Razr is crap but it looks so hawt. Since last year I didn't date so many women that I needed a photo record of them lest I forgot who was who, I didn't need 'owt with a better camera.

Skiz
06-19-2006, 09:26 AM

Really? What do you have over there? :unsure:

manker
06-19-2006, 09:32 AM

Really? What do you have over there? :unsure:
TriQuarters.

Barbarossa
06-19-2006, 09:43 AM
This will be the most popular mobile phone.

http://www.motorola.com/mot/image/13/13964_MotImage.jpg

I love it. I've been making my own ringtones for it with software on WinXp.

Too big.

Skiz
06-19-2006, 09:46 AM
TriQuarters.

Explain please.

manker
06-19-2006, 10:24 AM
TriQuarters.

Explain please.
:lol:

backlash
06-19-2006, 11:37 AM
@leo

Thanks for the info. I've looked further into the matter, and I have gotten the phone to work with mobile phone tools 4.21. However, the multimedia section is still blanked out. Upon further digging, I came upon a website instructing me to "Seem 2742/offset 6A/Bit 0... "check the box"". Supposedly, this simple mod will enable the multimedia function in mobile phone tools to work with the razr v3m. Performing this mod would seemingly solve all my problems. Supposedly, the greedy bastard that is Verizon disabled this feature in order to restrict people to paying 25 cents a picture. Can anyone tell me please how to perform this "seem edit"? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

I seem edited my phone to enable file transfers with motorola phone tools. Works great for me. I followed this guide to the T and all went well. http://www.v710.org/mark/ It's really quite easy. Just follow all steps.

Busyman
06-19-2006, 01:24 PM

Yeah I don't get phone numbers anymore. :sadwalk: My main woman is my one and only now.

A friend of mine has a Samsung (can't remember the model) that was as thin as a RAZR but was a much better phone. It was also with Sprint.

Regarding your camera, you gotta see the pictures on a computer screen to really see how good they look. I have a 1.3 MP camera as well. On my Treo, I loved playing the games on it. It was much better than those POS games on smaller phones. I was able to get tons of games off BT in one download. I should be able to do the same for a Windows phone I would think.

What do you use for making ringtones? I was going off ripping music into my computer, clipping, and storing ringtones (I know I'm a bit late). It's cool not having to download them.

Skiz
06-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah I don't get phone numbers anymore. :sadwalk: My main woman is my one and only now.

A friend of mine has a Samsung (can't remember the model) that was as thin as a RAZR but was a much better phone. It was also with Sprint.

Regarding your camera, you gotta see the pictures on a computer screen to really see how good they look. I have a 1.3 MP camera as well. On my Treo, I loved playing the games on it. It was much better than those POS games on smaller phones. I was able to get tons of games off BT in one download. I should be able to do the same for a Windows phone I would think.

What do you use for making ringtones? I was going off ripping music into my computer, clipping, and storing ringtones (I know I'm a bit late). It's cool not having to download them.

I never thought of using BT for cell games. I'll check into that. :O

As far as making ringtones, I don't. I used to a couple years ago with my first phone that would play WAV files, but I was just playing really. I was actually quite disappointed when I got this Samsung that I have now b/c there wasn't a single ringer that wasn't a techno song - it was pretty annoying. I would be sitting in a finance meeting at work when my phone would start jamming some drum n bass beat b/c I was receiving a call. I had to go online and download a standard ringer that sounds like an old bell telephone. I guess maybe I'm just getting old. :ermm:

I meant to tell you earlier in this thread but I forgot. You were saying something of having to drop $75 on accessories. I use eBay for that and get some super cheap deals. I think I got a data cable, car charger, home charger all in one auction for like $6 er something.

Busyman
06-19-2006, 03:26 PM

I never thought of using BT for cell games. I'll check into that. :O

As far as making ringtones, I don't. I used to a couple years ago with my first phone that would play WAV files, but I was just playing really. I was actually quite disappointed when I got this Samsung that I have now b/c there wasn't a single ringer that wasn't a techno song - it was pretty annoying. I would be sitting in a finance meeting at work when my phone would start jamming some drum n bass beat b/c I was receiving a call. I had to go online and download a standard ringer that sounds like an old bell telephone. I guess maybe I'm just getting old. :ermm:

I meant to tell you earlier in this thread but I forgot. You were saying something of having to drop $75 on accessories. I use eBay for that and get some super cheap deals. I think I got a data cable, car charger, home charger all in one auction for like $6 er something.
That's the good thing about getting a smartphone.....data cables (in my case with the Q, a simple USB to mini-USB cord) and software ALWAYS come with it. I think I'll check eBay for the Bluetooth doohicky.

As far as the ringtones, mine play WMA files so it's suuuuper simple. I've made about 20 ringtones and all I have to do is move the ringtone files to the Sounds folder and Sync. I understand what you mean about the techno bullshit. I have like 2 ringtones out of about 30 (that came with the phone) that ARE NOT techno.:dry:

It's seems I can also get ANY wallpaper that Windows can handle and plaster it on the phone.

Barbarossa
06-19-2006, 03:32 PM
I think I'll check eBay for the Bluetooth doohicky.

Bluetooth dongle, that's what you want. I don't think a doohicky will do anything for you :unsure:

Busyman
06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I think I'll check eBay for the Bluetooth doohicky.

Bluetooth dongle, that's what you want. I don't think a doohicky will do anything for you :unsure:
I don't need a dongle. I need a headset. The phone already has Bluetooth built-in.

Barbarossa
06-19-2006, 03:41 PM
rod off, amateur! :badrod:

Skiz
06-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I have a Bluetooth dongle. More trouble than it's worth imo. With data cable, it's just drag and drop. :)

Legolas
06-19-2006, 03:52 PM
@Backlash

Thanks for the link. However, I'm afraid of voiding my warranty, as I only got the phone 2 says ago.

Busyman
06-19-2006, 04:30 PM
I have a Bluetooth dongle. More trouble than it's worth imo. With data cable, it's just drag and drop. :)
Eggzackleee. However, just need the headset. I see that you can sync with the computer through Bluetooth and you're right...I'll stick with the USB.

I do need to buy a longer cable though. If you need to buy any type of audio/video/data cables check out monoprice.com.

I bought my USB, HDMI, and so mo shit from them for dirt cheap. I think they are Canadian.

Skiz
06-19-2006, 06:38 PM
@Backlash

Thanks for the link. However, I'm afraid of voiding my warranty, as I only got the phone 2 says ago.

Ignore all that other stuff on the page that could void your warranty. Backlash was simply linking you to a site were you can download Mobile Phone Tools; a small program you put on your PC that lets you transfer info from phone to PC and vice verse. Nothing to do with phone modding or warranty voiding.

Legolas
06-20-2006, 01:18 AM
i already downloaded mobile phone tools. It works fine, recognizes my phone and all that. The only problem is that Verizon has blocked out the file transfer option.

Busyman™
06-20-2006, 01:37 AM
i already downloaded mobile phone tools. It works fine, recognizes my phone and all that. The only problem is that Verizon has blocked out the file transfer option.
That sucks. I guess the only reason that they didn't do some crap like that with the Q is because they offer an expensive data plan with smartphones and don't offer Get It Now. If you can disable their block, do it. One should be able to uitilize all their phone features.

Legolas
06-20-2006, 02:52 AM
hmm....could've gotten the Motorola Q. Seeing as how I'm only a high school student, I decided against it, being that I wouldn't utilize the outlook synchronization and email services all that much. Plus, like you said, their internet plan was something ridiculous...like $70 American. Being an avid baseball fan, I need my highlights and whatnot, but 70 is ridiculous. Right now, I'm happy with Verizon's Web 2.0. I still have 12 days left if I should decide to switch to the Q. What do you guys think?

Busyman™
06-20-2006, 03:36 AM
hmm....could've gotten the Motorola Q. Seeing as how I'm only a high school student, I decided against it, being that I wouldn't utilize the outlook synchronization and email services all that much. Plus, like you said, their internet plan was something ridiculous...like $70 American. Being an avid baseball fan, I need my highlights and whatnot, but 70 is ridiculous. Right now, I'm happy with Verizon's Web 2.0. I still have 12 days left if I should decide to switch to the Q. What do you guys think?
It's not $70. It's $45.

I'd stay with what you got if you want VCAST. Otherwise, the Q is an EVDO phone, costs less than your RAZR, and does more right outta the box.

Legolas
06-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Well now ive narrowed it down to what I have to do to enable the transfer of pics and whatnot from my phone to the computer- some "seem edit" that seems very dangerous. I just got the phone, and can really not afford to void any warranties that came with it. Knowing that I can bypass Verizon's "restrictions" by "hacking" my phone, do you guys think I should do it? Is it worth the risk?

thewizeard
06-20-2006, 05:35 AM
Well now ive narrowed it down to what I have to do to enable the transfer of pics and whatnot from my phone to the computer- some "seem edit" that seems very dangerous. I just got the phone, and can really not afford to void any warranties that came with it. Knowing that I can bypass Verizon's "restrictions" by "hacking" my phone, do you guys think I should do it? Is it worth the risk?

No.

Legolas
06-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Guys over at cellphonehacks.com seem to be pretty happy with what they're now able to do. I've been reading up....most people seem to say its easy hideable, and that Verizon doesn't really check.

manker
06-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Why not just ring the Motorola service dept.

If you've paid for something that's not working properly, bitch about it to the people you bought it from til they tell you how to fix it.

backlash
06-21-2006, 12:03 PM
@Backlash

I think I seemed edited my phone a few weeks after I got it. Download the mobile phone tools in the nzb section here and get the drivers you need too. You'll need to get p2kseem software, which is also on his site.

They wouldn't know you seem edited it unless they searched for it, which they probably wouldn't do. After I did the first seem edit to just enable the transfers, then I enabled some ringtones that were disabled. It became addicting.

backlash
06-21-2006, 12:05 PM

It's worth it. I like being able to download the pics/videos I take with it and put my own ringtones and wallpapers on it. It's the little things in life that make me happy. :)

Legolas
06-21-2006, 10:25 PM
thanks for all the advice guys. I seem edited my phone and now enjoy uploading and downloading files to and from my phone. If anyone is interesting, the forums over at mobiledia.com offer some interesting hacks and such. They posted the tutorial i followed to seem edit.

backlash
06-22-2006, 02:09 AM
thanks for all the advice guys. I seem edited my phone and now enjoy uploading and downloading files to and from my phone. If anyone is interesting, the forums over at mobiledia.com offer some interesting hacks and such. They posted the tutorial i followed to seem edit.

glad you took the plunge. It sounds much harder than it is.