PDA

View Full Version : Were your parents/grandparents /forefathers.....

100%
06-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Were your parents/grandparents /forefathers active participants in any historical event?
such as
Berlin wall, Responsible for the great depression, WWII, the death of Anna Frank, WWI, Korea, the events in Japan, Tjschernobyle, responsible for creating windows 95, importing slaves from africa or any other family tradition?

tesco
06-19-2006, 08:08 PM
*were

Nope, not that I know of. :/

100%
06-19-2006, 08:12 PM
damn *were indeed

my forefathers did not add to any sparks

Skiz
06-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Mom's side Grandfather fought in Germany during WWII.

My Grandfather on my Dad's side told us a story about five years ago that he had never spoken of before. He told us about a night during the war where he woke up with Japs sneaking around their camp getting ready to kill everyone. He said he woke up and stuck the closest Jap with his bayonet, to which the Jap screamed waking everyone from their sleep and a large fight ensued. It's a pretty long story but that's the gist.

I'm also related to this guy somehow:

http://www.americanrevwar.homestead.com/files/MARION.HTM

100%
06-19-2006, 08:22 PM
good story skizo

my grandad escaped the shit by studying to become a dentist within 2 months, (medical people no need to fight) and as soon as he got his liscence moved to south of france.

It is weird looking at a german friends family album of their grandparents, in tanks.

Mr JP Fugley
06-19-2006, 08:50 PM
I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you.

gamer4eva
06-19-2006, 09:00 PM

Think i can take that risk.:D

100%
06-19-2006, 09:01 PM
give us atleast a hint to your family tradition of killing :mafia:

lynx
06-19-2006, 09:01 PM
My dad was on one of the first ships to land British troops in Tromso, immediately after the end of the war. He said it was the day after the war ended, so it was probably May 8.

Just before his 20th birthday too, lucky sod. :naughty:

100%
06-19-2006, 09:06 PM
My dad was on one of the first ships to land British troops in Tromso, immediately after the end of the war. He said it was the day after the war ended, so it was probably May 8.

Just before his 20th birthday too, lucky sod. :naughty:

Thats why all the people from Tromsų have a better sense of humor, pity he didnt fix the rest. Thank him anyway.

20 and outsaving countries...

lynx
06-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Oh, I forgot, one of my ancestors was hanged at York.

Apparently he was the leader of a gang who were sharing things that didn't belong to them. :ermm:

Proper Bo
06-19-2006, 10:11 PM

Same here.:shifty:

Smith
06-20-2006, 02:23 AM
My grandad was in the british army..and then in the navy i think. My great grandfather was in the great war as a foot soldier.

peat moss
06-20-2006, 02:37 AM
Both my Grandads were in the Merchant navy during WWII and lived to tell about it , Boy did they ever tell about it . Both good men I miss them both .

thewizeard
06-20-2006, 05:48 AM
Where your parents/grandparents /forefathers active participants in any historical event?
such as
Berlin wall, Responsible for the great depression, WWII, the death of Anna Frank, WWI, Korea, the events in Japan, Tjschernobyle, responsible for creating windows 95, importing slaves from africa or any other family tradition?

all depends whether the Bible tells the truth or not...but... my Father was Adam....:cool:

Skweeky1
06-20-2006, 10:38 AM
For some reason my gran and my grandad spent the whole of the second WW in Berlin and had to smuggle my mum out of there to Belgium in 1942. I never quite found out what it was they were doing there...

CrabGirl
06-20-2006, 10:39 AM
My mother was evicted from Ismalia, Egypt during the Suiz Canal crisis, when Egypt decided they didn't want any Greeks living in their country. She moved as a refugee to Glasgow and remembers being taught English by scary Scottish nuns. She has a weird accent now.

Mr.Mighty
06-20-2006, 01:47 PM
My parents created me.

Historical indeed.

CrabGirl
06-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Cheeses boss is related to the man who captained the Titanic.

Ironic indeed for a man who runs a travel company

Skiz
06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Almost forgot.

My grandfather also was the lead engineer in designing the Cooper River Bridge in South Carolina as well as the Harbor Bridge in Corpus Christi.

Probably 40 or 50 years ago he introduced the idea of using neoprene rubber as a seismic pad to elongate the life of bridges. It is now a standard worldwide. :snooty:

Skiz
06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Almost forgot.

My grandfather also was the lead engineer in designing the Cooper River Bridge in South Carolina as well as the Harbor Bridge in Corpus Christi.

Probably 40 or 50 years ago he introduced the idea of using neoprene rubber as a seismic pad to elongate the life of bridges. It is now a standard worldwide. :snooty:

CrabGirl
06-20-2006, 03:54 PM
I've slept with the Grandson of Barnes-Wallice, the chap who invented the bouncing bomb.

Agrajag
06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
I've slept with the Grandson of Barnes-Wallice, the chap who invented the bouncing bomb.
Then you came to post about it, thanks for sharing.:D

CrabGirl
06-20-2006, 04:57 PM
wasn't recently, but no probs.

tralalala
06-20-2006, 08:18 PM
My late grandfather from my mum's side was in the RAF during WWII, something to do with radars...

I guess the next one in the family to do something big is...

me... only 2 years 'till I go into the Israeli army..... I'm excited already.. :)

Barbarossa
06-21-2006, 01:44 PM

I'd glag if he hummed the theme to The Dam Busters when he climaxed :unsure:

Busyman
06-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Mom's side Grandfather fought in Germany during WWII.

My Grandfather on my Dad's side told us a story about five years ago that he had never spoken of before. He told us about a night during the war where he woke up with Japs sneaking around their camp getting ready to kill everyone. He said he woke up and stuck the closest Jap with his bayonet, to which the Jap screamed waking everyone from their sleep and a large fight ensued. It's a pretty long story but that's the gist.

I'm also related to this guy somehow:

http://www.americanrevwar.homestead.com/files/MARION.HTM

Almost forgot.

Niiiice.;)

I have lots of family in South Carolina.

Skiz
06-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Niiiice.;)

He probably would have been paid some sizable money for these projects had he not been an employee of the State Highway Depts at the time of each (giggle) erection.

Busyman
06-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Niiiice.;)

He probably would have been paid some sizable money for these projects had he not been an employee of the State Highway Depts at the time of each (giggle) erection.
Civil engineers never get their due, eh. :snooty:

j2k4
06-21-2006, 08:08 PM
My maternal Grandfather served under Black Jack Pershing in Europe in WWI, and fought in the second Battle of the Marne.

My Father was the first man to ever hit a baseball completely out of Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, Maryland.

He actually did it three times in a row (the first two were just foul in left), the third time was a walk-off home-run to win the Baltimore High School City championship.

The next fellow to do it was named Frank Robinson.

He was pretty good, too.

manker
06-21-2006, 09:20 PM
My paternal great-grandmother owned the dog that found the original World Cup all those years ago.

It wasn't her dog or 'owt, she just kicked it in the face on the sly.

100%
06-21-2006, 09:33 PM
My grandma was the first female sexist after giving birth to 7 boys. (their wives hate her but must be obediant)
She is also the first pro homosexuality 95 year old
yeah she is special

Proper Bo
06-21-2006, 09:38 PM
My grandad's friend's brother's wife's cousin once met a man who said he was jesus reincarnated.

Proper Bo
06-21-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm possibly realted to jackie milburn, jack charlton, and bobby charlton somewhere along the line.

Border Reivers FTW:01:

j2k4
06-23-2006, 12:25 AM
My paternal great-grandmother owned the dog that found the original World Cup all those years ago.

It wasn't her dog or 'owt, she just kicked it in the face on the sly.

Coooooooooooooool...:)