PDA

View Full Version : Ram Compatibility

Schuler
05-02-2003, 02:35 AM
In my computer I have two 256 mb modules of RDRAM PC800 Non-ECC. My friend has two chips of RDRAM PC800 ECC that he has spare. I heard that if I installed the ECC RAM with the Non-ECC Ram that it wouldn't work. Anyone know if it would or not, or if there is anyway to disable the error checking on the ECC so that it's basically the same as the Non-ECC. I tried searching google but I wasn't very successful.

harrycary
05-02-2003, 02:48 AM
I believe that it won't be compatible.

Check your mobo mfg website for the answer.

Don't know who makes your mobo?
Use the Belarc advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) to create an inventory of your computer(it's free)

Schuler
05-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Hmm, that's what I figured. My mobo supports ECC but I don't think the two different RAM types would be friendly with each other.

StrongislanD
05-02-2003, 04:05 AM
I was wondering almost the same thing. I do not know what kind of memory my computerhas? I downloaded that program to give my comp specs and all it listed is rimm memory? I tried to look on the internet for the mfg specs and found all different kinds, but most of them being rd ram? Is there anyway to know for sure without taking myu case apart? I have at least 3 256mb ram pieces sitting next to me but they are ddr-ram? Please help- I am confused-Thanks

KANADIANborn
05-02-2003, 04:09 AM
You "could" use those 2 ECC mod's, and send the 2 non-ECC my way :D

harrycary
05-02-2003, 05:33 AM
StrongislanD,
Did you try your mobo mfg. website?

Odds are it is SD RAM or DDR RAM 'cause RD RAM just isn't very common.

Interested in knowing what you find out.

KANADIANborn
05-02-2003, 08:02 AM
If I am not mistaken :rolleyes: I believe "RIMMs" are RDRAM (Direct Rambus). Do a search at Intel to find some answers.

Strong, why not take your computer case off to find out ;)

Schuler, have you "tried" to use both ECC and Non-ECC at the same time? (Other than not working, what would/could happen?)

Schuler
05-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Nah I haven't tried coz my friend didn't give me the chips yet.

zapjb
05-02-2003, 10:36 AM
Maybe he's having 2nd thoughts. Cause ECC RAM is way more $ than non.

StrongislanD
05-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Just got off the phone with the mfg, it is rd ram. Thanks guys

CornerPocket
05-02-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Schuler@1 May 2003 - 21:52
Hmm, that's what I figured. My mobo supports ECC but I don't think the two different RAM types would be friendly with each other.
I wouldn't recommend mixing the two, stability issues. If your board is compatible with either / or, use the set that provides more ram.

Oceanstar
05-03-2003, 01:24 PM
*First of all, u really ought to mention in ur post which Motherboard it is ( brand, model etc.)

Anyway... I have an Intel 850GB motherboard and it is possible to turn off ECC (via BIOS ...I think)
If u still have the motherboard installation CD, look for the manual (usually PDF)
U will find ECC info in there or else, download the manual frm the website. The manual will defenitely have ECC info.
Hope this helps B)