PDA

View Full Version : Opera 9 Web Browser Unleashed

peat moss
06-21-2006, 03:47 AM
http://www.opera.com/img/splash/opera9.pngOpera Software on Tuesday rolled out version 9.0 of its free Web browser across 25 languages on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X platforms. The release adds a number of major new features, including widgets and support for BitTorrent downloads.

Widgets are small mini-applications that typically run inside another program. The basic idea is to enable developers to quickly build useful applications with simple scripting languages like JavaScript and DHTML. Opera notes that its widget support can be used for multimedia, news feeds, games and more.

:source: Source: http://www.betanews.com/article/Opera_9_Web_Browser_Unleashed/1150822317
:view: Homepage: http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/

Chewie
06-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Opera 9 Web Browser Unleashed
Run for your lives!

Rip The Jacker
06-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Opera 9 Web Browser Unleashed
Run for your lives!
:lol: :lol:

Er... I mean, spam! >_>

peat moss
06-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I forgot to add the Widget link might as well try those to see what all the fuss is about .

http://widgets.opera.com/

RealitY
06-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Youz betas run or get pimp slapped with da widget cane bitch...

elvenson
06-22-2006, 06:52 AM
9 is crap! :angry:

I upgraded from 8.54 and realized that 9 should still be in beta. The personal bar is missing features, you cant identify as IE anymore so you cant use alot of sites, alot of sites with perl integration are sub par and some froames wont even load as they did in 8.54.... bunch of other stuff too. Bottom line, i used Opera 9 for about 10 minutes and then reinstalled to a previous version, I love opera, its all i use, but 9 is not ready yet.

Ghenis
06-22-2006, 05:20 PM
They should test it longer

peat moss
06-24-2006, 01:07 PM
I did n't like it much either but you try, you delete problem solved . Found the widgets annoying as well . Hey back to the drawing board I guess,wish they'd get it together because this browser is fucking fast .

erRor67
06-25-2006, 12:52 AM
Opera 9 is alright with me.. Dont really have time to mess with the wigits but perhaps I'll do it later. But I agree, its damn fast. Opera has always been like that. One of the reasons why i like it. :)

fkdup74
06-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Damn. Bad reviews.
I just opened Opera and saw the update popup,
then came here to see if it had been announced,
and what was the verdict so far.
Guess I'll wait. :P

wukka
06-26-2006, 04:06 AM
Opera is a good, I've always liked better than IE. However, I'll never be able to switch over completely until it provides the same cozy feel of Firefox and my arsenal of essential extensions.

elvenson
06-29-2006, 12:44 PM
I wont argue about the fire fox extensions or its features, i love them.... doesnt feel like a cozy GUI for me though, and i always have problems with little bugs... opera 8x is all that really feals right to me. IE 7 aint too bad either, still has limited functionality compared to the 3rd party stuff though

reiden
07-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I simply love opera :) it just got better

rox
07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
cool

rox
07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
my favorite browser

FreeDoom
07-18-2006, 03:12 PM
1 thing: it's faster than Firefox? i mean speed is not everything but i would like to know...
I could install it but surelly someone has tryed it allready :)

mr. nails
09-17-2006, 09:51 PM
ok, i finally tried this browser out. lol, first time. never saw a need. i like it better than ie, but ff is still king. well, so far. still checking this thing out. can u install like adblockers and stuff inside opera? don't really care for the widgets crap. all they are are external progs running outside of browser, no? don't like that.

edit: w0w, all these ads i've never seen be4. opera wouldn't be all that bad if it had a built in ad blocker! c'mon. the bittorrent dl's are pretty gay. right clicking does the trick, but a tab cums up. looking for ways to disable that.

also, when i add shortcut bookmarks to my personal bar some of them, not all, are also added to the bottom of the bookmarks in the bookmarks tab at the top of the browser. why do some go there and others don't? how can u make it so all bookmarks don't do this?

peat moss
09-19-2006, 05:05 AM
Oh I like it but just kept going back to Firefox , and if truth be told it is a little faster out of the box . But with FF extensions and tricks and tweaks it (FF) catches up . Its good for Grandma or lil sis , or those that don't like IE 6 .

mr. nails
09-19-2006, 10:28 AM
i'm hearing this all over the place... how is opera faster? i honestly don't see a speed difference. all web pages? certain? wtf?

zapjb
09-19-2006, 05:37 PM
For dialup especially Opera is king. 10x faster than IE & 2-3x faster than FF.

And once you know how to setup Opera to your need/styles. Theres no better browser for Windows. More secure, stable & less resources.

And great help & superior knowlrdge at the Opera forum.

When FF 2.x goes final I'll try it again. But ime FF 1.5xx doesn't measure up to Opera in every way.

ilw
09-19-2006, 06:24 PM
ok, i finally tried this browser out. lol, first time. never saw a need. i like it better than ie, but ff is still king. well, so far. still checking this thing out. can u install like adblockers and stuff inside opera? don't really care for the widgets crap. all they are are external progs running outside of browser, no? don't like that.
yes widgets are crap

edit: w0w, all these ads i've never seen be4. opera wouldn't be all that bad if it had a built in ad blocker! c'mon. the bittorrent dl's are pretty gay. right clicking does the trick, but a tab cums up. looking for ways to disable that.

it has built in pop up blocker its in tools -> options and you can make it site specific, by right clicking on a page and going to site preferences
it also has site specific ad blocking (right click then block content)
u can also block urls (ie so no pics from ad servers get loaded) but i think that requires editing text files and doesn't seem any better than editing your host file last time i checked.

also, when i add shortcut bookmarks to my personal bar some of them, not all, are also added to the bottom of the bookmarks in the bookmarks tab at the top of the browser. why do some go there and others don't? how can u make it so all bookmarks don't do this?
don't really understand, when you create a bookmark click the details button and you get some options, does this help? If you add a bookmark in the bookmarks folder then it'll appear in the top level bookmark list, if you want it somewhere else you need to put it in a folder. (bookmarks -> manage bookmarks might help)

i'm hearing this all over the place... how is opera faster? i honestly don't see a speed difference. all web pages? certain? wtf?
like zapjb said this is a bit of an old comment, you won't really see it now that dialup is a thing of the past, but on dialup opera shows pages a lot faster than ie and faster than firefox although firefox can be tweaked so that it is almost as fast. Actually i just checked nad the difference between opera and ie is still pretty obvious

Opera is also faster to start than ie & firefox, but again thats no longer the big thing it once was (at one stage firefox took ages to load)

As i see it, firefox and opera are fairly evenly matched

opera: uses less resources, imo nicer look once skinned, quicker load, more features built in and they are better coded (e.g. mouse gestures), decent mail client

firefox: more programmers test that their website looks ok with firefox/gecko, more customisable through extensions, better initial layout (out of the box)

Opera is my preferred browser although i have ping ponged between firefox and opera over the years. Opera takes some getting used to and you need to come up with a layout & skin that you like, because the default is retarded imo (personally i scrap all but 3 of the buttons and just have the main, personal and tab toolbars (the address field can be added to the main bar) and the metal blue skin and i hide the panels to the left).

mr. nails
09-20-2006, 05:06 AM
it has built in pop up blocker its in tools -> options and you can make it site specific, by right clicking on a page and going to site preferences
it also has site specific ad blocking (right click then block content)
u can also block urls (ie so no pics from ad servers get loaded) but i think that requires editing text files and doesn't seem any better than editing your host file last time i checked.

um, what did u say? i don't need it to block pop ups. it does that nicely. i need it to block ads. don't see that anywhere in the options. also, went to opera home, community, and support pages to find some extensions, or plug-ins of sort for ad blockers and found nothing. i googled for it and found something, but i think it mite be for older versions of opera. idk. doesn't really bother me to much. as imma take this opera off and try the new beta then prob be done with it. not really working out for me the way i like, but if i can fix some of these problems i mite just leave it on my pc to play around with.

when you create a bookmark click the details button and you get some options, does this help? If you add a bookmark in the bookmarks folder then it'll appear in the top level bookmark list, if you want it somewhere else you need to put it in a folder. (bookmarks -> manage bookmarks might help)

i know how to create bookmarks. what i'm talking about is when i add a bookmark to my personnal bar it also ads the same bookmark in my bookmarks tab (at the top of browser) for some stupid reason. i don't need it to do this, but thank u for discussing and trying to help me out in some of these matters.

ilw
09-20-2006, 07:28 AM
um, what did u say? i don't need it to block pop ups. it does that nicely. i need it to block ads. don't see that anywhere in the options.

open up the website which has the adverts you want to block, right click somewhere on the page (in a blank space rather than on a picture or form) and select 'block content' the page will mostly blank out except for adverts which you then click to block them. then either click 'done' in hte top corner or right click and click on 'block content' again.

The ad blocking in firefox is (I would guess!!) done by blocking a bunch of servers which are responsible for most ads. You can easily achieve the same effect for all browsers by editing your hosts file
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/index.php