PDA

View Full Version : Athlon XP 2500+ question

VM0824
06-22-2006, 03:16 AM
I've had this processor for a few years now. replaced the stock fan and heatsink with ones from newegg here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835151110). I started researching overclocking it lately. being its 1.84 is not very flattering in todays 3.x. so i dont know the first thing about overclockin a processor except that in the research i've done i hear its a very good processor to overclock. a couple of sites told me that i should up the fsb a few mhz at a time, and take a temperature check. btw i believes its 133fsb X 11 stock. i downloaded CPUCool for temperature reference. i was shocked when it sed my stock 2500 with the bigger newer fan was runnin at 55C:stars: . and over 60C with load. so even in open air with my room fan on it its still 45C idle. so my questions are

1. y is my cpu so hot and how can i cool it
2. what do i need to do to overclock it (specifics if possible, im not up to speed with this cpu type stuff)

im hopin that CPUCool is just not accurate because as far as i know that is runnin really hot.

thx
Vincenzo

peat moss
06-22-2006, 03:20 AM
Is it the Barton core ?

zapjb
06-22-2006, 03:32 AM
Imo thats normal. My 2500 Barton is 48C. Ambient temp is 26C.

Skillian
06-22-2006, 09:00 AM
My old Barton 2500+ ran at 57C under load for 2/3 years, at overclocked speeds too.

May be a little warm, but it shouldn't really give you any problems.

As for OCing, the first thing you'll want is some RAM that'll go up to 200 Mhz, so you can run the CPU and RAM at the same FSB. Then it's just a case of upping the FSB and seeing how far it'll go.

Lots of Bartons will go up to 3200+ speeds. I ran mine stable for years at 190 FSB, can't remember what speed that made the CPU tho.

VM0824
06-22-2006, 12:50 PM
yea its the barton. but yours almost hit 60C with overclockin. mines stock and its still that hott.

clocker
06-22-2006, 01:26 PM
VM, you have a couple of issues to deal with and one big decision to make.

The decision is how much effort/money do you want to sink into an obsolete platform.
SocketA is history and successfully OCing your chip is going to require resources you may want to devote to a platform upgrade.

If you decide to continue, the first thing you'll need is a better heatsink- that Spire is only marginally better than the stock AMD unit.

You did not mention what motherboard you're running...that may have to be upgraded as well to carry forward.

The biggest project will be optimising your case to deal with the extra heat that OCing will produce.
Simply slapping in a HSF just don't cut it.

There is a real domino effect that occurs should you decide to pursue this avenue- a better HSF requires better case cooling, the more you OC the better your PSU needs to be and you may have to upgrade the mobo to even begin the process.

How serious do you want to get?

Virtualbody1234
06-22-2006, 01:47 PM
The Barton 2500+ was well known to overclock from the stock FSB of 333 MHz to 400 MHz (gets detected as a 3200+).

It was also capable to do so with the stock cooler but the case had to have very good airflow and still ran quite hot (55°C).

Some motherboards were known to report 10°C higher than actual temps. Gigabyte mobos come to mind.

Skillian
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Like I say, my overclock was stable for 2-3 years, and the only expense I had was a fan adapter to stick a 80mm fan on top of the stock heatsink. This was with a crappy generic PSU and a case with truly horrible airflow.

As for effort, I just whacked up the FSB, tested for stability and that was all the work I did for its lifetime.

This is hardly the recommended way to OC, as people like Clocker will tell you, but it worked for me (as in, I got the extra performance and no reliability issues).

It is kind of an obsolete platform, so I'd say just go for it - or at least try it before you spend loads on expensive cooling and power etc. It's unlikely you'd kill your computer, but it would be a nice excuse to upgrade if you did.

edit: it does appear you're having a few more cooling issues than I did, so it might not be so simple for you. Just thought I'd relate my experience withat same CPU tho.

VM0824
06-23-2006, 01:19 PM
i pulled my computer away from the wall and it cooled about 5 degress to about 55C load. all my sys info is attached to my first post. its a dxdiag file and a cpuz file. i guess if its gonna cost money like this to OC i might as well upgrade like clocker sed. but i dont want a 64bit or dual core thing. so ill probably still with sempron. anybody know a good mobo?

Virtualbody1234
06-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Why do you want to upgrade? What is the intended use for this PC?

If you decide to upgrade, why don't you want 64bit?

They run perfectly in 32bit mode also.

And great prices: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343+1051707439&Subcategory=343&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

VM0824
06-23-2006, 03:19 PM
the biggest reason is i cant afford it. :cry:

Virtualbody1234
06-23-2006, 03:36 PM
So why not stick with the 2500+?

lynx
06-23-2006, 03:58 PM
So why not stick with the 2500+?You could OC it quite easily. :rolleyes:

Virtualbody1234
06-23-2006, 04:10 PM
So why not stick with the 2500+?You could OC it quite easily. :rolleyes:
Yeah, with good case ventilation!

VM0824
06-23-2006, 04:28 PM
i need somethin alittle faster

Virtualbody1234
06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
i need somethin alittle faster
Again I ask.
What is the intended use for this PC?

Btw a Sempron won't be much better if any than the 2500+ barton.

zapjb
06-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Are sempeons faster? And that money cpu & mb at least. Maybe case fans & psu & RAM. When OC might be much cheaper. With as good or better performance than a sempron.

Appzalien
06-24-2006, 03:50 PM
The original 2500+ cpu's were overclockable right out of the box but AMD got nervous and started laser cutting the overclock feature out. You will have to determine which one you have and if its lazer cut you will have to modify it to get back the overclocking capabilities. There are sites out there with pictures to show you how to do it, type "overclock XP2500+" into google and look around. No one asked what kind of thermal paste you used, if you used the pad on the HSF instead of artic silver, that could explain your higher temps. Also the roomier your case the better for cooling, a mid tower has less space for air circulation than a full tower or server case and the more fans the better (and noisier).

harrycary
06-29-2006, 11:46 PM
I've been using an overclocked 2500 for 3+ years. I changed the FSB to 400 and now it registers as a 3200,
as stated above. (1.8 to 2.3GHz)

I have tweaked the voltage up a little to help with video conversion.

I run 1Gb of dual channel Corsair memory so haven't really touched its settings.

I run an OEM heatsink/fan and a single 80mm fan in the case.

Outside the usual Windows-related problems, it runs great.

lynx
06-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Outside the usual Windows-related problemsExplain please.

Duffman
06-30-2006, 06:14 AM
The 2500+ Barton if I remember was the same chip as the 3200+ just with the FSB pushed down, some of the older ones were unlocked and with a little cash dropped in for cooling overclocked pretty high very easily, but if the multiplier is locked, you can just step the FSB up to 400 and it will read as a 3200+, same CPU I have, and its been stable at 3200 for 2 - 3 years or something.

harrycary
06-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Explain please.

...malware, spyware, virii and the many exploits written for Windows.

But, using Thunderbird, Firefox, Antivirus, and 3 different spyware programs helps.

lynx
06-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Explain please.

But, using Thunderbird, Firefox, Antivirus, and 3 different spyware programs helps.
Ok, but I don't see the relevance to OCing a Barton chip.

Duffman
07-01-2006, 06:47 AM

e-penis, its all about the e-penis...

lynx
07-01-2006, 09:21 AM

e-penis, its all about the e-penis...Do you mean you were being an e-prick? :lol:

Duffman
07-01-2006, 10:13 AM
no =p

harrycary
07-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Ok, but I don't see the relevance to OCing a Barton chip

my point being, is I don't have any problems with my system and its overclocked processor.

kind of a moronic statemen since you were the one who originally asked.

lynx
07-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Ok, but I don't see the relevance to OCing a Barton chip

my point being, is I don't have any problems with my system and its overclocked processor.

kind of a moronic statemen since you were the one who originally asked.In that case you'd better tell us in detail what "malware, spyware, virii and the many exploits written for Windows" have got to do with OCing the XP2500, since that's what we were talking about here. I'm sure we'd all be interested in your explanation.

Seeing as you are the one who mentioned them.

harrycary
07-05-2006, 03:58 AM
In that case you'd better tell us in detail what "malware, spyware, virii and the many exploits written for Windows" have got to do with OCing the XP2500, since that's what we were talking about here. I'm sure we'd all be interested in your explanation.

Wow, you truly are a moron.

Don't you get it?

As I stated before, I don't have any problems with my rig the way it's setup to run.

I stated the Windows issues because they aren't related to my altered hardware and are the only problems I encounter.

My point being, I believe you can safely overclock an Athlon 2500+.

Geesh, quit reading so much into what I write.

lynx
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
In that case you'd better tell us in detail what "malware, spyware, virii and the many exploits written for Windows" have got to do with OCing the XP2500, since that's what we were talking about here. I'm sure we'd all be interested in your explanation.

Wow, you truly are a moron.

Don't you get it?

As I stated before, I don't have any problems with my rig the way it's setup to run.

I stated the Windows issues because they aren't related to my altered hardware and are the only problems I encounter.

My point being, I believe you can safely overclock an Athlon 2500+.

Geesh, quit reading so much into what I write.If Windows issues aren't related to your hardware then why bring them into the discussion in the first place?

A tip for you:

If you don't want people to read things into what you write, either state that they are not relevant to the topic, or simply don't write them. Otherwise you'll get people asking you to explain what you mean.

mikeco
07-05-2006, 11:59 AM
my pcs running a amd barton, not sure which number+ tho... cant be arst turning it on right now.

but its always running hot :P like 50+ max its been is 80c or some crazy shit.