PDA

View Full Version : Noisy computer - Power Supply ?

digmen1
06-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Hi guys,

This may be a silly question, but my PC is very noisy lately. I suspect the PSU and am prepared to buy and fit another.

But I just wanted to be sure that this is what is making the noise. It sounds like a fan and it comes and goes.

Could it also be one of my 2 hard drives or the main case cooling fan ?

Is there any way of checking, aside from taking the machine apart and then waiting days for the noise to appear ?

Regards

Digby

zapjb
06-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Uh no.

Appzalien
06-24-2006, 03:35 PM
I have had some success in locating the problem fan by tapping on it. If you suspect the PS, start there and sharply rap the fan grill with your finger to see if you can make it fail. What this does is move the fan armature on the bearing. Another way is to shut the machine down and gently pull the fan out all the way on the shaft and start up for a moment then shut down and push it in and repeat to see if you can replicate the noise. When it is making the noise a trick I learned to help pin point the location is to use a cardboard tube as a directional listening device, 2 foot of 1/4inch (inside diameter) plastic tubing makes a great makeshift Stethescope as well and is a little easier to point in strange directions (video card fan).

zapjb
06-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Thats cheating. :lol:

Op said, "...aside from taking the machine apart...".

mikeco
06-24-2006, 06:52 PM
is it not just the fan spinning faster to cool it down?

digmen1
06-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys for the great replies esp Appzalien

MIkeco, - No its a sort of deep grinding noise that comes and goes.

Regards

Digby