PDA

View Full Version : Philippines abolishes the death penalty

peat moss
06-24-2006, 12:27 PM
MANILA, Philippines --President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo signed a law abolishing the death penalty on Saturday, giving final approval to a measure that divided many Filipinos.

Arroyo, who like most of her people is Roman Catholic, sought to assure the nation that her opposition to capital punishment had not undermined her commitment to fighting crime.

Thought this was interesting, one would think they would of kept it in their fight against terrorism .

Link : http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2006/06/24/philippines_abolishes_the_death_penalty/

Mr JP Fugley
06-24-2006, 01:19 PM
It's because they want to join the EU. Where the death penalty is illegal under the European Convention on Human Rights. Article 1 as I recall.

peat moss
06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
That makes sence then ,I always admired the forward thinking of the Phlip's a woman president was a good move .

Wish Canada would bring back capital punishment tho even if just for crimes against children .

What with DNA testing now less chance of a wrongful conviction too I would guess .

dry snitch
06-25-2006, 08:51 PM
FFS, this is one of the worst threads ever.

Right, lets think about stuff for a minute.

No, honest, I want you to pause.

Why the flying mother fucking arse is the death penalty going to put off a bloke who thinks he's going to get fortyleven virgins in heaven.

War against terror my arse - it's clearly a domestic issue and it's a good thing that they're not going to kill people in a retribution stylee.

You know I make sense.

vidcc
06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Why the flying mother fucking arse is the death penalty going to put off a bloke who thinks he's going to get fortyleven virgins in heaven. depends on how the death penalty is viewed. IMO it is not a deterent, it is a punishment

War against terror my arse - it's clearly a domestic issue and it's a good thing that they're not going to kill people in a retribution stylee. who said "War against terror"? that is a bush administration slogan.
the Philippines had domestic terrorist problem long before we joined the club, and just because it is domestic doesn't mean they aren't terrorists, but that was just one example of when the death sentence could be enacted.

GepperRankins
06-25-2006, 10:42 PM
depends on how the death penalty is viewed. IMO it is not a deterent, it is a punishment

lolz. "if you kill someone, we won't lock you up for life, we'll kill you in the quickest most painless way we can think of."

great punishment. fag

vidcc
06-25-2006, 10:50 PM
depends on how the death penalty is viewed. IMO it is not a deterent, it is a punishment

lolz. "if you kill someone, we won't lock you up for life, we'll kill you in the quickest most painless way we can think of."

great punishment. fagyes indeed, serving time with 3 meals a day, television and an exercise yard is rather more harsh than being excecuted.
Death rows are just full of people trying to get excecuted so they don't have to be incarcerated and those serving life are just begging to end it all :rolleyes:
And if some want to die...good riddance.

Seedler
06-25-2006, 10:57 PM

great punishment. fagyes indeed, serving time with 3 meals a day, television and an exersise yard is rather more harsh than being excecuted.
Death rows are just full of people trying to get excecuted so they don't have to be incarcerated and those serving life are just begging to end it all :rolleyes:

Uh, I'd rather die than getting raped 3 times a day in prison:cry: .

GepperRankins
06-25-2006, 10:58 PM

great punishment. fagyes indeed, serving time with 3 meals a day, television and an exercise yard is rather more harsh than being excecuted.
lolz. and no-one has ever tried to kill themselves in prison and nobody has ever decided to stop being a criminal cawk smoker and no-one has ever been found not guilty after being convicted and nobody has ever wanted to be a martyr for a cause and noone has ever tried to commit suicide by cop.

vidcc
06-25-2006, 11:00 PM
yes indeed, serving time with 3 meals a day, television and an exersise yard is rather more harsh than being excecuted.

Uh, I'd rather die than getting raped 3 times a day in prison:cry: .

you seem to have a very high opinion as to your own attractiveness or a low opinion of your reputation :shifty: :D

wukka
06-26-2006, 04:28 AM
It was Easter when President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo
came up the "bright" idea of ditchin the death penalty tsk!

The Philippines is about 95% Roman Catholic, but in the south they have some muslims, and among them are crazy radical fundamentalist knuckleheads who have beheaded people before.

Anyway, yup it is stupid to announce that the death penalty is no longer on the table, especially when dealin with terrorists.

It makes absolutely no sense to me to take tax payer gold to keep some FKN evil bastards alive, while a few cents of lead in the head is a no brainer decision, if they are without a doubt guilty.

GepperRankins
06-26-2006, 06:20 AM
It was Easter when President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo
came up the "bright" idea of ditchin the death penalty tsk!

The Philippines is about 95% Roman Catholic, but in the south they have some muslims, and among them are crazy radical fundamentalist knuckleheads who have beheaded people before.

Anyway, yup it is stupid to announce that the death penalty is no longer on the table, especially when dealin with terrorists.

It makes absolutely no sense to me to take tax payer gold to keep some FKN evil bastards alive, while a few cents of lead in the head is a no brainer decision, if they are without a doubt guilty.
by being executed, they're gonna be seen as martyrs and it'll fuel the desire for these people to kill thier enemies. locking them up for life isn't gonna be seen as very glorious, if you get what i'm saying

and something tells me a suicide bomber isn't too bothered about dying

thewizeard
06-26-2006, 07:22 AM
It's because they want to join the EU. Where the death penalty is illegal under the European Convention on Human Rights. Article 1 as I recall.

Correct, they have recently signed a contract with a Dutch shipping company whose tug boats will tow the Islands to the ever expanding territories of the European Union. They are planning to anchor them in the "Channel"just off the Isle of Wight... close to the "Needles".

dry snitch
06-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Why the flying mother fucking arse is the death penalty going to put off a bloke who thinks he's going to get fortyleven virgins in heaven.depends on how the death penalty is viewed. IMO it is not a deterent, it is a punishment

War against terror my arse - it's clearly a domestic issue and it's a good thing that they're not going to kill people in a retribution stylee. who said "War against terror"? that is a bush administration slogan.
the Philippines had domestic terrorist problem long before we joined the club, and just because it is domestic doesn't mean they aren't terrorists, but that was just one example of when the death sentence could be enacted.
The thread starter mentioned the war against terror and how, in his opinion, they should keep the death penalty to deter terrorists. I think that's completely mad.

I don't know how you could have missed that, it's clearly the whole premis of my post.

The death penalty will not deter a person who thinks he or she is going to have a fantastic after-life. I think that is blindingly obvious to even the most blood-thirsty of capital punishment proponents.

Barbarossa
06-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Logic dictates the the worst possible punishment for "failed" suicide bombers is for the authorities to try to keep them alive for as long as possible. :smilie4:

thewizeard
06-26-2006, 11:49 AM
and they should be kept in the close proximity of a rather large pig farm...

Skweeky1
06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Funny
I'm just reading a book called ' Journey into Darkness' it's written by one of the first profilers from the FBI

I just read something that was quite interesting.

This couple's daughter got murdered in a most brutal way and her attacker was caught hours after the deed. he immediately confessed to the crime.
In court, the jury decided to give him the death penalty.
However. 10 years down the line he's still not executed and there's still no obvious decision due to somthing called ' habeas corpus'

The couple. being Catholic, doesn't specifically believe in the death penalty as they believe it's God's work to punish someone.
However they don't see any other solution.
A life sentence means, almost certainly, the chance to parole at some stage and this monster could be allowed out again.

So if your prison system cannot guarantee that a life sentence actually DOES mean a life sentence... Then where do go you from there?

For the record. I don't believe in the death sentence, and I honestly believe it is more of a punishment to have to spend your life in prison without the chance to love or to have a walk along the sea ever again that instant comfortable death.

vidcc
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
The thread starter mentioned the war against terror and how, in his opinion, they should keep the death penalty to deter terrorists. I think that's completely mad.

I don't know how you could have missed that, it's clearly the whole premis of my post.

he made no mention of the "war on terror"

in their fight against terrorism It's a fight against local terrorist which has been going on for a long time not
the bush slogan "war on terror"

War against terror my arse - it's clearly a domestic issue Domestic terrorist

The death penalty will not deter a person who thinks he or she is going to have a fantastic after-life. I think that is blindingly obvious to even the most blood-thirsty of capital punishment proponents.
And my reply to it was that it depends on how one views the death penalty. I have never thought of it as a deterent. To me it is punishment, nothing else. I don't care if someone thinks they will have an afterlife, they are wrong and I will have the satisfaction of knowing they are gone and that is it for them.
Life in prison isn't going to make them think twice either, so that kind of neutralises the deterent arguement don't you feel. In fact locking them up actually causes more acts of terrorism and hostage taking coupled with demands for their release.
I appreciate that killing them brings on revenge attacks also, but hey if they are going to kill innocent people regardless...............

vidcc
06-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Logic dictates the the worst possible punishment for "failed" suicide bombers is for the authorities to try to keep them alive for as long as possible. :smilie4: what about non suicide bombers ?

Mr JP Fugley
06-26-2006, 06:46 PM
For something to act as a deterrent it must be unpalatable to the person you wish to deter. It matters not one jot what you think about it.

To punish some people by the death penalty, in their mind, makes them a martyr and gives them an automatic place in a glorious afterlife.

Therefore the death penalty actively encourages them to carry on with what they are doing. Hence the decision to get rid of it, presumably.

Being locked away for the rest of their life, that is a much greater deterrent. So why not just make life mean life for certain offences, with no prospect of parole. In addition, when mistakes are made then the person can be released.

calm2chaos
06-26-2006, 09:39 PM
A death penalty for terrorist makes no sense as it gives them what they want... Martrydom. You want to deter terrorist, don't punish them. Punish there families. There mothers, fathers wives and children... Yes it is barbarick, and yes it would cut down on terrorist. You have to make the price of their convictions so high that nobody wants to pay it. I have heard that this tactic has actually been used by a number of countries in the past. There were good reason not many groups fucked with the russians back in the day.... Course it's not something you advertise. But the people that your detering hear and know about it. So the question gets put to them. Is blowing up a building full of innocent people worth your son, daughter or wife? If the answer is no.. Problem solved.. If the answer is yes then your back to were you started from and have lost no ground

Mr JP Fugley
06-26-2006, 10:05 PM
A death penalty for terrorist makes no sense as it gives them what they want... Martrydom. You want to deter terrorist, don't punish them. Punish there families. There mothers, fathers wives and children... Yes it is barbarick, and yes it would cut down on terrorist. You have to make the price of their convictions so high that nobody wants to pay it. I have heard that this tactic has actually been used by a number of countries in the past. There were good reason not many groups fucked with the russians back in the day.... Course it's not something you advertise. But the people that your detering hear and know about it. So the question gets put to them. Is blowing up a building full of innocent people worth your son, daughter or wife? If the answer is no.. Problem solved.. If the answer is yes then your back to were you started from and have lost no ground
:glag:

Genious.

vidcc
06-26-2006, 11:18 PM
yes it's well known that countries with no death penalty have never been targets for terrorists. And obviously all terrorist are suicidal because they all blow themselves up and never do it "remotely". Indeed there will be no more terrorist activities in the phils.....if only they had done this sooner :rolleyes:

But then I am not looking for a deterrent with the death penalty, nor do I think it is a deterent, jail time certainly isn't....

I am fine with peoples belief that the death penalty is wrong morally and I respect that more than those in my country that claim to be christians and support it, even though they agree with me.
However it cannot be determined one way or the other if death or jail are deterents. IMO neither is when it comes to the level of terrorism and so I am happy to send them on their way.
It comes down to which is the harshest punishment. I will go with the one that gives me satisfaction.

peat moss
06-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Why are my threads called the worst ever ? Whole purpose of the Drawing Room is on topic discussion ,with that in mind could you see this in the evening news about President Bush ?

Arroyo signed the law shortly after returning to the presidential palace from a hospital where she was taken late Thursday suffering from acute diarrhea.

Kinda explains it eh .

Mr JP Fugley
06-27-2006, 05:51 PM
The point is not how punishment makes us feel, it is how it makes the offender feel. If you do it to make yourself feel better then it's not punishment it's revenge.

In these things we must always look at the situation thro' the eyes of the offender. Is the death penalty a punishment? No, it isn't, they do not fear it as they look forward to being martyred and take their place in heaven. They do not suffer as it is done humanely. Therefore it is not a punishment, either psychologically or physically, whether they were a suicide bomber or not.

If however you make them spend the rest of their life locked up, away from their own, to eventually die an inglorious death, that is sublime punishment for that type of person.

So even the punishment argument is flawed.

vidcc
06-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm fine calling it revenge then....whatever it's called makes no difference to me. And I don't care how it makes them feel, I care how it makes me feel.

I don't care if someone thinks they will have an afterlife, they are wrong and I will have the satisfaction of knowing they are gone and that is it for them.

Oh and bury them in a way that is against their religion if they have any

Mr JP Fugley
06-27-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm fine calling it revenge then....whatever it's called makes no difference to me. And I don't care how it makes them feel, I care how it makes me feel.

Oh and bury them in a way that is against their religion if they have any
Exactly.