PDA

View Full Version : Strange Problem

Mr. Mulder
06-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Got my bosses computer sat in front of me, he said that it wouldn’t turn on.

I took the Base Unit back to my place, switched it on to hear the Bad Ram beep codes, no POST screen. Tried about 5 different good sticks and still no change. So I figured that its maybe mobo related, switched the mobo for a different model and now it POST’s perfectly.

So next I tried to install Windows XP and got as far as the end of Hardware detection, and then instead of the end user license agreement, it just hangs on “Windows is preparing” (or something like that).

I tried installing Win2000 and got the same problem. Tried installing Mepis too and it hangs before installation. Also tried Kill Disk from a floppy (which won’t actually erase) as well as XP boot disks, it hangs on the 6th.

Next I put the HD in my Base Unit and managed to install Win XP no problem. But still can’t in his machine.

Tried different IDE cables (40 & 80), tried different Master/Slave configurations – replaced everything but the Power Supply and CPU (Could either of these be the problem?).

Any ideas? :unsure:

AMD Athlon 1.25GHz
PC CHIPS M863AG/G
COLORSit 550W PSU
FX5200 AGP
Genius sound card PCI
256 DDR
80 Gig Maxtor
DVD/CD-RW Combo

Chewie
06-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I had this twice.
Once it was a cheap no-name DVDROM drive that would only pass muster if the jumper was set to Cable Select.
The other time was a cheap CDROM drive that needed to be disconnected completely.
On both occasions there were 2 optical drives installed on the same IDE channel and I assumed it the cheapo was conflicting with the other.

Virtualbody1234
06-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Try this:

Once Windows is installed in your PC then move the drive to the (faulty) one and see if Windows will bootup.

Duffman
06-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Download some boot time utilities that can test hardware for errors and/or failure, like memtest and shit if you don't have the spare parts to test everything one by one.

*edit -- I also had some similar problems with bad mobo/memory and install issues and if I remember correctly it was due to a bad format on the hard drive...

*once more -- If I remembered all that correctly I fixed it with a boot cd from the hard drive manufacturer that completly zeroed the drive.

Mr. Mulder
06-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Tried two different "good" CD Drives (one RW, one DVD) – Still hangs in the same place. Tried different cables and tried it with the second Controller, still hangs. Tried a new/known to be working HD in his system and get the same problem.

Put his HD in my machine, installed Windows, put it back in his – BSOD's.

Everything had been replaced but the PSU and the CPU, so I replaced the PSU and still no luck. Can't replace the CPU as I don't have a spare, but the problem doesn't sound CPU related right?

Also, I've found that the heatsink is too hot to touch and even generates a slight burning smell, something I didn't notice to begin with :dabs:

Virtualbody1234
06-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a burnt mobo.

Maybe just investigating the CPU, socket and thermal paste to see its condition?

Mr. Mulder
06-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah I had a look and everything seemed to be ok, it was just the heatsink, too hot to take out at first - the heat dope seemed to be normal, no scorch marks anywhere :unsure:

It's got to be either the Mobo or CPU right? Seeing as they are the only items not to have been replaced :ermm:

lynx
06-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Although it may be a little uncomfortable, the heatsink should rarely be too hot to take out, and certainly not when running at idle.

I usually find that CPUs become unstable and hang rather than expire if they are getting too hot, and that sounds like the problem here. Since the heatsink seems to be getting too hot it sounds to me as if the fan on the heatsink isn't working properly.

An alternative problem I've seen occasionally is that the heatsink is fitted the wrong way round. The "step" in the heatsink has to match up with the "Socket 462" writing on the socket; get it back to front and the CPU overheats, though that probably wouldn't cause the heatsink to get too hot.

Mr. Mulder
06-27-2006, 08:07 AM
I find it near impossible to fit Socket A's the wrong way round :unsure:

Got a Stock HS/fan for an XP3000 I could try :ermm:

edit: He's using some kind of Thermaltake set, but it must have worked fine up until now :blink:

Virtualbody1234
06-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Let me guess... Thermaltake Volcano 7+.

Mr. Mulder
06-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Don't have the machine with me atm, won't till Thursday but going by Google images I don't believe so, the fan looks to be different in design. Can't be sure without looking :ermm:

Personally I stay clear of Thermaltake as they tend to sound like tractors. :pinch: