PDA

View Full Version : AMD Socket AM2 Has A Secret Weapon

Seedler
06-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Conroe is scheduled to launch on July 23rd with NDA for reviews scheduled to expire around July 28th. However, AMD has a counter-attack weapon hidden in its Socket AM2 infrastructure.

It seems that all AM2 CPUs were outfitted with support for Reverse-HyperThreading. An architectural change, which enables software to think that it is working on a single-core. By combining two cores, AMD has been able to produce the six IPC "core" that will go head to head against the four IPC "core" from the Conroe/Merom/WoodCrest combo. In certain instances even an old AMD Athlon 64 3800+ can wipe the floor with Core 2 Duo E6300 CPU.

The real fight with AMD is against the Conroe with 2MB of L2 cache. The system memory avoidance technology is working flawlessly on a 4MB cache model, but the case is reversed in the 2MB cache variant, especially in cache-hit sensitive apps, such as games.
In single-treaded apps, Core 2 Duo is expected to struggle against Reverse HyperThreading CPUs, which work at higher clock frequencies and produce higher instruction per clock ratios (IPC).

Quote:
AMDs Reverse-HT is a dynamic technology, and with Microsoft's Windows update and a new processor driver, the driver will copy the graphics drivers of today's 3D accelerators. The driver will detect the app, see if it is multithreaded or not and turn the ReverseHT on, or leave it off.

Source: The Inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32589)

peat moss
06-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Will need new memory aswell ? DDR2 ?

Seedler
06-25-2006, 08:12 PM
I think so, AM2 supports DDR2.

I really do hope the new AM2 platform can defeat the Conroe giant.

bigdawgfoxx
06-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Right now it doesnt look like it...but hell the CPU isnt even out yet. And AMDs had theres out for a little while now so they have to get props on being the early bird..

This reverse HT looks crazy i've never heard of it and all i do at work is look at hardocp, tomshardware, dailytech, etc etc lol but it sounds awesome!

N4vS
06-26-2006, 09:35 AM
it`s will be supporte more then 400MHZ peer one slot?-DDR2?

thanks for the news.