PDA

View Full Version : How do you list your music?

Skiz
06-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I was looking at doing a complete overhaul on how my music is listed on the PC.

I use Soulseek 95% of the time for music, so that's why it's setup as you see below. But does anyone have a unique style or program that has their music setup differently that they'd like to recommend? ;)

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/7388/music2kf.th.jpg (http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=music2kf.jpg)

missie
06-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Mine looks similar to that, but with better music. :P

CableMan391
06-28-2006, 12:17 AM
I have folders for al my artists and subfolders for the albums.

Skiz
06-28-2006, 01:50 AM

I just have lots of country.

Definitely a cultural thing. :cowboy:

In Texas, you have to actually search for a station that's either non-country or non-tejano.

digmen1
06-28-2006, 04:34 AM
I have folders for each letter of the Alphabet and then put my music in these folders per artists name. Then I can back them up to CD RW for safety. Some letters like B or C have two sub folders. Then for my main artists eg Dire Straits, Pink Floyd etc I have a single folder for them.

It is a bit cumbersome, but it does work for me.

Regards

Digby

ZaZu
06-28-2006, 08:13 AM
I have mine in one folder for mp3's and another for music videos ... I let Windoze sort them alphabetically ...

EDIT: added second 'L' to alphabetically .... (cause I'm anal like that sometimes)

missie
06-28-2006, 04:30 PM

Me too. :yeehaw:

Although if I'd downloaded Coldplay, James Blunt or Leann Rimes, I wouldn't be posting a screenshot of what a tone deaf tool I was. :lookaroun

MarkJM
06-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Folders for artists and sub-folders for albums.

Skiz
06-28-2006, 05:50 PM

Me too. :yeehaw:

Although if I'd downloaded Coldplay, James Blunt or Leann Rimes, I wouldn't be posting a screenshot of what a tone deaf tool I was. :lookaroun

I like Coldplay, but the James Blunt (whoever that is) Leann Rimes, Sarah Mclachlan, Kelly Clarkson, etc, etc, etc, is the gf's. :mellow:

EDIT: Looking at the James Blunt songs, he sings that song titled, "beautiful", which the gf loves right now. She walks around my apartment singing that shit under breathe.... :frusty:

missie
06-28-2006, 08:46 PM
I like Coldplay, but the James Blunt (whoever that is) Leann Rimes, Sarah Mclachlan, Kelly Clarkson, etc, etc, etc, is the gf's.

excuses, excuses. :P

Maybe you should add another folder into your list to hide it all in.
I'd suggest either; Girly Tunes or Emo Crap.

cpt_azad
06-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Organised in actual hard drive:

Artist --> Albums --> Track number (01, 02, etc).

Organised in my media players (winamp, windows media, etc):

Album name --> Track number

Organised in real life (CD's):

Artist --> Album (released by year, not alphabetical)

bigdawgfoxx
06-30-2006, 02:13 AM
I have a main folder with pics, vids, games and software, and music. Then in music I have like chill, rock, heavy, rap, country. Then artist and subfolders for albums

Nightlife
07-02-2006, 11:32 PM
I store mine in category\artist name\album\track# on hdd and iTunes. The categories are by my own, more or less arbitrary, design, e.g. hip hop, turntablism, jazz, rnb, pop and so on.

Makes it easier for peers on soulseek as well. Get artists you don't yet know of in same category as artists you like.

backlash
07-03-2006, 06:44 PM
folders for artists and subfolders for albums.

@Skizo - we lost our last country station here in NY. Good thing there is internet radio.

Pho
07-09-2006, 03:46 AM
I have folders for al my artists and subfolders for the albums.

This is how mine is setup. Everything is neat and organized.

Seltzer
07-16-2006, 10:04 AM
I usually list it Genre\Subgenre\Subsubgenre (if it exists\band name\album

For example My Dying Bride is under...

Metal\Doom Metal\Death Doom Metal\My Dying Bride

Necrophag
08-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Mines like this.:w00t:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/SoulSlaughter/music.jpg

limesqueezer
08-14-2006, 01:14 AM
Looks nice, soo u have every cover, now u can start to find all bonus tracks ;)

JordoR
08-14-2006, 04:19 AM
Compared to the rest of you, mine is pretty disorganized.

I have a folder on my desktop, and after downloading whole cd's I just put em straight in there. Each CD has its own folder with the name of the artist and the name of the cd on it. No subcategories or nonsense like that. But I guess its not really necessary with only 15gb of music.

cpt_azad
08-14-2006, 06:11 AM

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/SoulSlaughter/music.jpg

Lamb of God fan eh? I never knew Burn the Priest had a 2nd album, bloodleeting is an amazing song. CoB too :D

Tempestv
08-14-2006, 06:36 AM

Definitely a cultural thing. :cowboy:

In Texas, you have to actually search for a station that's either non-country or non-tejano.

Same here

Except that I'm not such a fan of country
or at least what passes for country today

Just my luck that it seems that every radio on every jobsite is tuned to country. I keep hearing the same songs all day long. I have heard some songs 3 times in an hour. even when it's something I like, it gets old quick

as for how I organize my music, I have a folder in my Media folder (movies, music, ebooks, pictures, ect.) for music, then I have folders for each artist. if I have all of the albums from that aritst, I note it by writing it in the folder name- (ie Nightwish- Discography) In the folder for the artist, I have folders for each album as well as songs that don't fit into an album (live perfomances, ect.) any music videos go in a seperate folder. songs by two or more artists (for example, the riding with the king album, BB king and Eric Clapton) or by artists that I only have one or two songs by go in a seperate folder, marked Assorted (music type) example- assorted blues. again, I have folders for combinations that I have a lot of, which contain folders for two artist albums

compleated, the full filename for the song riding with the king is
F:\Media\Music\Assorted Blues\BB King and Eric Clapton\Riding With The Blues\Riding With The Blues.mp3

and my work is cut out for me becuse I have a lot of music to organize since I just downloaded it.

Sigurd
08-14-2006, 11:16 PM
I organise all my music the same way, and then just drag the folder into itunes and it makes my playlist for that album its how ive always done it and i find it easyest.

Artist Name - Album Name

For the just odd songs i have a folder called Other Songs, then just put that into itunes.

worldpease
08-15-2006, 01:43 AM

Cool man, I have my music just like that too,
except that mine is not Satanic...:lol:
Just kidding man.:P

FreeDoom
08-17-2006, 03:30 AM
I just put my music in 1 folder called music and then with respective sub-folders.

Artist - Album - Length

brenda
08-22-2006, 06:17 PM
I tried sorting it by genre but that didn't really work because the divisions between genres can sometimes be to blured and it becomes too messy with loads of sub genres so I backtracked to good oldfashioned alphabetical by artist (albums & tracks chronological)

B.Helto
08-22-2006, 08:37 PM
artist/album/[track number] - [title]

still trying to come up with a consistant way to file comps & soundtracks

like:

VA (or OST)/album/[track number] - [artist] - [title]

mansoorali
09-03-2006, 01:56 AM
i have also made folders acccording to Categories like RnB,Rap,POP..........

Necrophag
09-03-2006, 09:49 PM

Cool man, I have my music just like that too,
except that mine is not Satanic...:lol:
Just kidding man.:P

:rolleyes: :yikes: lol

cno81
09-05-2006, 08:21 PM
I organise my to this convention;

Music\Albums\B\Beatles, The\1963 - Please Please Me

I don't particularly like organising music by genres because more often than not an album can fit into one or more catagories and even more often, other users (on soulseek) incorrectly catagorise their music. I suppose the advantage of the genre system is you can avoid completely the heavy metal or country, for example :)

sickofcake
09-06-2006, 07:48 AM
I tag all my files will Helium Music Manager.

C:\Music\Artist\The Misfits\(1995) Static Age
============================================
01 - Static Age.mp3
02 - TV Casualty.mp3
03 - Some Kinda Hate.mp3
04 - Last Caress.mp3
05 - Return of the Fly.mp3
06 - Hybrid Moments.mp3
07 - We Are 138.mp3
08 - Teenagers From Mars.mp3
09 - Come Back.mp3
10 - Angelfuck.mp3
11 - Hollywood Babylon.mp3
12 - Attitude.mp3
13 - Bullet.mp3
14 - Theme For a Jackal.mp3
15 - She.mp3
16 - Spinal Remains.mp3
17 - In the Doorway.mp3
============================================

C:\Music\ contains the folders:

Artist
Audio Books
Comedy
Compilations
Genres
Playlists
Soundtracks
Tributes

I use the 'Genres' folder to put files that have not been tagged correctly or are untagged. I have them formated so I can run Helium Music Manager automatically and it will tag everything perfectly. Here's an example of a recent album I bought and ripped but haven't tagged yet.

C:\Music\Genres\Folk\Greg Graffin\(2006) Cold As The Clay\01 - Don't Be Afraid To Run.Mp3

So based simply on the file name and the folder it is in Helium Music Manager will automatically use the folder and file names to tag the Genre, Artist, Year, Album Title, Track Number, Track Title.

And since all my music is tagged correctly I can browse it by all the genres, year, artist or whatever tag I want with Foobar 2000 or Winamp.

gustafo
09-06-2006, 06:13 PM
[artist] - [title] <- the best way :D :P

limesqueezer
09-06-2006, 11:00 PM
I only list albums, but it goes automatic, it looks like this in txt document:

mp3-1023

G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - 1963 Still Rockin' (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - 1964 (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Ballads (1992) (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Beach Party (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Buddy Holly (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Diana Ross & The Supremes (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Elvis Presley (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Elvis The King (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Frankie Vail & The Four Seasons (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Giants (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Great R&R Instrumentals (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Heroes (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - R&B Gems I (1987) (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - R&B Gems II (1987) (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Red Hot Rockabily (1990) (192kb)\
G:\Time Life - The Rock'n Roll Era - Ricky Nelson (1990) (192kb)\
G:\Tomasz Rylko - [2001] - Rylkolak Horror Show Speszyl Sidi Edyszyn - 128\
G:\Toninho Horta - 1995 Durango Kid 2\
G:\TONINHO HORTA - Live in Stockholm (2003) [320k]\
G:\Tony Coe,Tony Oxley & Chris Laurence - Nutty [256k]\
G:\Tony Rice - Larry Rice - Chris Hillman - Herb Pederson\
G:\Triangle - Homonymie\
G:\Triangle - Retreat\
G:\Triangle - Square The Circle\
G:\Troyka - Troyka\
G:\u srinivas - dawn raga\
G:\Ultravox - Best of the Eighties\
G:\V.A - Pacific moon [Samurai Collection 2004] [320k.]\
G:\VA - Strummin With The Devil The Southern Side Of Van Halen (A Tribute)-2006-RpM\
G:\Va - The Spaghetti Epic - Six Suites For Modern Prog Bands\
G:\Van Der Graaf Generator - Wordly Men and Strangers 1975\
G:\Van Wilks - 1980 - Bombay Tears -\
G:\Van Wilks - 1995 - Soul Of A Man [VBR]\
G:\Waking Vision Trio -The Ancient Bloom\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1970 - Wishbone Ash\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1971 - Pilgrimage\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1972 - Argus\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1972 - Argus\Covers\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1974 - There's The Rub\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1976 - Locked In\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1976 - New England\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1977 - Front Page News\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1978 - No Smoke Without Fire\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1980 - Just Testing\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1981 - Number The Brave\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1981 Live Dates 2\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1982 - Twin Barrels Burning\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1985 Raw To The Bone (192)\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1991 - Strange Affair\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1995 - Live In Geneva\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 1996 - Illuminations\
G:\Wishbone Ash - 2006 - Clan Destiny\
G:\Wolfmother - 2006 - Dimensions (MCD)\
G:\Yann Armellino -2001- 3\

When i share the albums i also add bitrate to every album.
The nr. of mp3 dvd i write on dvd. On computer i have it in alphabetical order by genre. Thats all. Simple and easy

lysine
09-10-2006, 11:58 PM
I keep all the rap/hip-hop in one folder, and everything else in another folder. when it gets to be full enough to burn the data to a dvd, I burn the disc, and put a number on it. I then run oidua http://oidua.suxbad.com/ on the disc, and it outputs a list like this:

disc ###
Album/Artist [Size][Bitrate][Quality]
========================================================================================================
7l_and_Esoteric-The_Soul_Purpose-Reissue-2006-CMS [88.1M][164k][-aps]
Beastie_Boys-Hello_Nasty_Instrumentals-(Grand_Royal)-2LP-1998-soup_int [51.9M][213k][-aps]
Big_L-The_Archives_(1996-2000)-2006-41ST [54.2M][179k][-aps]
Da_Lench_Mob-Guerillas_In_Tha_Mist-1992-FTD_INT [53.5M][179k][-aps]
Da_Lench_Mob-Planet_of_Da_Apes-1994-OSR [60.3M][192k][192 C]
Defari-Street_Music-2006-C4 [78.8M][194k][-aps]
MagOwl-Presents_The_Remixes_Pt._4-Beard_Of_Legend-Bootleg-2006-FTD_INT [95.4M][232k][-ape]
Masta_Killa-Made_In_Brooklyn-2006-EGO [62.2M][169k][-aps]
Master_P-The_Best_Of-(Explicit)-2005-RNS [116M][206k][-aps]
Oh_No-Exodus_Into_Unheard_Rhythms-(Retail)-2006-EGO [84.4M][204k][-aps]
Raekwon-Only_Built_4_Cuban_Linx_(Reissue)-2002-WCR [113M][192k][192 C]

I copy/paste the output into a larger text file which contains a listing of the whole collection of discs. makes finding a disc, and knowing what quality it's ripped at very easy.

xbawksz
09-11-2006, 10:14 PM
[artist] - [song]

FTW.

batoloco
09-14-2006, 12:22 PM
folders:
[artist] - [album] (year)

songs:
[tracknr] - [trackname]

SaturatedGreen
09-18-2006, 03:27 AM
I list mine from the pitch of the first vocal/note sung/played in order from lowest to highest.

Wrcshare
09-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Maybe you should add another folder into your list to hide it all in.
I'd suggest either; Girly Tunes or Emo Crap.

Suphix
09-24-2006, 05:23 PM
mines all in itunes and i scroll by artist. since my ipod broke and i reinstalled windows i havn't been listening to alot of music unfortunatly... but i did quickly import it to WMP11 beta 2 but cant be arsed to sort it all out yet.

dzturbd
09-30-2006, 06:45 AM
I organize by Genre, then I have "Albums" and "Singles" subfolders in each genre. If I ever need to sort by anything else, I can do so pretty easily in Winamp

phifehinds
09-30-2006, 04:20 PM
i use itunes

jetloss
10-08-2006, 02:41 PM
By genre, then artist.

omgwirjo
10-13-2006, 10:04 AM
iTunes organises my music for me :D

dgr
10-17-2006, 09:00 AM
I have folders for all my Music/Artists/Album

Shadowfire
10-22-2006, 08:25 PM
I have my full /albums/almost full albums in Artist/Album, the scattered songs go in /various, and the multi-artist albums in /various/album.

biff_m
10-23-2006, 03:16 AM
I was looking at doing a complete overhaul on how my music is listed on the PC.

I use Soulseek 95% of the time for music, so that's why it's setup as you see below. But does anyone have a unique style or program that has their music setup differently that they'd like to recommend? ;)

If you use soulseek and want to make it easy on your patrons, I prefer to see Artist/Artist - Year - AlbumTitle/Artist - Track# - SongTitle.mp3

This way someone can download a single album without losing track of the artist. If you just use Artist/AlbumTitle/Track# - SongTitle.mp3, the files better be tagged or you might as well forget ever knowing who performed "AlbumTitle" when the download finishes and the user has long since closed your file list in slsk. This isn't a big deal if someone leaves windows open until an album is done, but when I was at my peak, I would grab 1000 songs a day and it just wasn't practical to leave 20 windows open waiting to rename the folder.

Also, making sure the artist name is in each folder makes sure noobs aren't downloading entire artist folders that contain ten albums (or including the all loose songs that often have nowhere to go but the Artist folder) and clogging up your queue just to save him/herself the trouble of renaming.

I also don't like the genre-as-folder scheme, but that has no practical benefit other than saving clicks when trying to remember where I was last time I looked through someone's shares.

TooFastForYa
10-26-2006, 06:17 AM
All I have is complete albums so I just have a folder full with their release folder name. Busta_Rhymes-The_Big_Bang-2006-RNS for example.

Mudvillager
10-30-2006, 11:54 PM
I don't really give a rats ass because iTunes does it for me. Very convenient.

jimbo12345
10-31-2006, 08:30 AM
I do the same as you, with subfolders. But, on my media player, i have a playlist named, "for the ladies". Had a good night out? Need the mood to be right? Click this, saves your fumbling around time for the condoms.

In fact, have two, one for most girls, and one called "for 'special' ladies". Reserve this button for those girls that you know are going to go like the clappers, with a few more racey tracks.

From me to you.

And whats wrong with Coldplay? Granted,a bit gay, but come on people, it's the time of the metroseual....

(thats METROSEXUAL Seedler...don't PM me again...)

Hairbautt
11-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Yep, I just make sure they have proper tags (I use iTunes), but I have a seperate media drive.

Folders: Artist--->albums--->songs or
Folders: Album--->songs

Eternal.
11-03-2006, 06:16 AM
ABC order.
I list my songs with Artist first then Song after.

Say the band was Arch Enemy...then it would be like:

Arch Enemy - Nemesis

All happily organized.

But if I have like, ALOT of one band; they receive the privilege of their own folder.

jimbo12345
11-03-2006, 11:45 AM
ABC order.

But if I have like, ALOT of one band; they receive the privilege of their own folder.

And which priveleged bands do you have subfolder for?

Eternal.
11-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Arch Enemy
Lamb of God
Children of Bodom
Slayer
Cradle of Filth
Strapping Young Lad

And a few others

digmen1
11-09-2006, 06:39 PM
The things I find hard to list are movie themes ie file it under the artist and title if there is one, or the name of the movie eg Beverly Hills Cop or Starwars ?

Also what about classical music eg Beethovens 7th Symphony may be perforfmed by many different orchestras and conductors. So do you list it as Orchestra Composer Title or Composer Title Orchestra ?

Eternal.
11-09-2006, 11:25 PM
The things I find hard to list are movie themes ie file it under the artist and title if there is one, or the name of the movie eg Beverly Hills Cop or Starwars ?

Also what about classical music eg Beethovens 7th Symphony may be perforfmed by many different orchestras and conductors. So do you list it as Orchestra Composer Title or Composer Title Orchestra ?

I sort my music in folders by Genre aswell. So it would go..

My computer > My Documents > My Music > Classical > Beetoven.

Each one of these being folders.

Eternal.
11-09-2006, 11:27 PM
<As for your second question, I would label it "Composer Title Orchestra".>

tesco
11-10-2006, 12:31 AM
d:\music\

Folders are artist - album title

I usually leave the track titles as they are but i like track# title.mp3

For single tracks that i get i just put them in d:\music\ and label them artist - title. Also I remove the album info from the tag usually.

In winamp I use the media library to put in order of artist and keep each artist's albums organized by track number.

S!X
11-10-2006, 07:42 AM
For me Folders are Artist - Album Title, songs are Artitst - Track title.flac,mp3 or whatever format it is. Yes, im a simpleton.

digmen1
11-10-2006, 08:43 AM
<As for your second question, I would label it "Composer Title Orchestra".>

Thanks, good suggestion

Digby