PDA

View Full Version : Whats A Stable Nvidia Driver?

Crack_man
05-02-2003, 06:25 PM
If someone here use NVIDIA,then can you suggest which a stable one which doesn´t crash all the time.
I have the latest driver now and it crashed too.

4play
05-02-2003, 06:30 PM
are they definetly for your card or are they the all in one version they like putting out now.

Have you tried updating the firmware on your video card sometimes this helps alot.

amphoteric88
05-02-2003, 06:38 PM
i'm currently using the 43.45 driver version and have had no problems at all.
well, vietcong crashed a few times, but i think this was vietcongs fault, not the drivers
i have a geforce 3 ti200, for reference

Crack_man
05-02-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by amphoteric88@2 May 2003 - 20:38
i'm currently using the 43.45 driver version and have had no problems at all.
well, vietcong crashed a few times, but i think this was vietcongs fault, not the drivers
i have a geforce 3 ti200, for reference
I use that version too and it´s the newest one which crashed for me and it restarted my computer too and said that a serius problem had occured and windows restarted the computer too avoid damage the computer or something like that.

I reinstalled my computer for 2 days ago and I suppose Im gonna do it again and install the driver again.

Crack_man
05-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by 4play@2 May 2003 - 20:30
are they definetly for your card or are they the all in one version they like putting out now.

Have you tried updating the firmware on your video card sometimes this helps alot.
How did you install yours?
Did you uninstall your old one first and then install the new one or did you just downloaded the driver and run it without uninstalling the old one?

And where did you install the driver to,did you install it to "C:\NVIDIA\WinXP-2K\43.45"?

amphoteric88
05-02-2003, 08:00 PM
it's recommended you remove the old ones before you install new ones
just remove them from add/remove programs and reinstall the 43.45 ones
this should solve your problem

Crack_man
05-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by amphoteric88@2 May 2003 - 22:00
it's recommended you remove the old ones before you install new ones
just remove them from add/remove programs and reinstall the 43.45 ones
this should solve your problem
I did that before and then install the new one to "C:\NVIDIA\WinXP-2K\43.45" but before I installed it,it said that it has found a driver already and suggested me to uninstall it which I had already done.

amphoteric88
05-02-2003, 08:10 PM
look for a program called "detonator rip"
this removes any trace of nvidia display drivers on your system
if you use this, you shouldn't have any problems with two instances of drivers

Crack_man
05-02-2003, 08:14 PM
I used one called "Nasty File Remover" to delete any taces of the earlier driver version I had.

amphoteric88
05-02-2003, 08:16 PM
can you remember what directory you installed the previous verison to?
if so, go there and look for any files
delete the directory too

Crack_man
05-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by amphoteric88@2 May 2003 - 22:16
can you remember what directory you installed the previous verison to?
if so, go there and look for any files
delete the directory
I dont know.

I reinstalled my computer for 2 days ago and then I had the driver version which was already installed in the computer when I reinstalled my computer.
Then today I uninstalled my driver which I had in add/remove and then used Nasty File Remover to delete any traces of it.

Then I installed the new one which warned me that I still had the driver left although I already uninstalled it.
I ignored that and installed it to "C:\NVIDIA\WinXP-2K\43.45" which was the default directory.

Somebody1234
05-02-2003, 09:11 PM
This may seem like a strange question but what OS are you talking about?

What video card is this for?

Are you sure the problem is the display drivers?

If using Windows XP try: Detonator 43.00 Windows 2000/XP from http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/

NotoriousBIC
05-02-2003, 09:33 PM
You could try the following:
1. Downgrade to the windows XP universal video driver.
2. Download Detonator R.I.P. (http://download.guru3d.com/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=603)
3. Use it to remove everything detonator related
4. Download the latest WHQL certified driver nVidia Detonator 43.51 (http://download.guru3d.com/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=614) and install them
5. Restart and keep your fingers crossed!
After each removal/installation you must restart your computer! Cancel any attempt of windows xp to automatically install drivers.

Before you do this, however, check that the problem is indeed the video card (sound cards also have a nasty habit of hanging a computer) like Somebody1234 already said. In my experience the 43.45 drivers are rock stable.

Crack_man
05-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by NotoriousBIC@2 May 2003 - 23:33
You could try the following:
1. Downgrade to the windows XP universal video driver.

How do I do this?
Im gonna reinstall my computer so please help me with those easy steps again and I have no experience with this things.
And one thing more,where should I install the new driver if I download it then?

Crack_man
05-02-2003, 10:43 PM
What is this "Microsoft .NET" and where can I download it,I need it cuz th Detonator R.I.P. needs it.
Anyone who have a direct link to it?

NotoriousBIC
05-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Ok, after you've completely reinstalled windows (XP? I'm assuming that for this guide) do the following:
1. Right-click on the 'My Computer' icon and select 'Manage' from the menu
2. You will get a new explorer-like window. On the left select 'Device Manager'. You will get a list of devices on your PC on the right-hand side.
3. Doubleclick on 'Display Adapters'. There should appear a new item underneath. If that says 'universal video adapter' or something similar skip everything and just d/l and install the new drivers.
4. If it says 'nVidia Geforce*******', right-click it and select uninstall. You will get some windows asking 'are you sure?', select 'damn right I'm sure you friggin' M$ product'.
5. Restart, don't get scared if you're display returns to 640x480 and 256 colors, that's just windows xp using the universal driver
6. Directly after restart XP will say 'Found New Hardware and installing drivers for it' CANCEL that!
7. Now go on from step 2 of my previous post

This way you're making sure that no traces of previous drivers remain and the new drivers will work correct. In my experience though you can just install the new detonator drivers over the old ones. I've only had problems with beta-drivers, not once a problem with the certified drivers.

btw: It doesn't matter which install directory you use. Just use the default.

Crack_man
05-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Shouldn´t I uninstall the display driver from add/remove in the control panel?

NotoriousBIC
05-02-2003, 11:38 PM
I don't know if the standard XP detonator drivers show up in the add/remove programs window. If they do then you're right, that's a far easier way to do it, of course.

Crack_man
05-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by NotoriousBIC@3 May 2003 - 01:38
I don't know if the standard XP detonator drivers show up in the add/remove programs window. If they do then you're right, that's a far easier way to do it, of course.
I just tried to uninstall it both in add/remove and the from the other location you suggested but after I reboot,then it will still say that I have NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200

NotoriousBIC
05-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Are you sure you're cancelling the automatic driver install of XP? It will show up in the system tray, doubleclick that and then cancel it. That should do the trick.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-03-2003, 07:26 AM
get the 43.51's btw... they are the lastest windows certified nvidia drivers....

Crack_man
05-03-2003, 11:26 AM
YES FINALLY IT WORKS!!!!!
I just installed the newest one (v 43.51) over the old one and no error came up,thank you all who helped me.