PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth my while purchasing a Pool table..?

tralalala
07-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Heres what is on offer at this online store which represents a proper store in Tel-Aviv: for 800$, I can buy a fold-up, 8-foot pool table with balls, 2 cues, 2 chalks, a brush for the carpet, and a rest-cue.

Here is a pic of the table: http://www.billiard.co.il/vault/prods/super.JPG

Here are the details of the table as mentioned on the website (translated):

"Home fold up pool table.
Made of full wood.
The tables' legs are connected with a special "plate", giving maximal stability, while connected to metal angles allowing you to fold it up and give stability while open.
The table has wooden supports that keep the table stable.
The table itself is made of one plate of thick wood.
The table has 6 tracks for the balls (after potted), nets, and corners coated with leather.
The cloth is made of 100% English wool."

Sounds good, should I go for it..?

Gripper
07-03-2006, 08:12 PM
No,you want one with cloth made from 100% Scottish wool

Mr JP Fugley
07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
No.

Unless you have a large room to put it in, with a level floor and no carpet. Oh and make sure it's high enough to play a reasonable game on, they're normally too low.

Bearing in mind that the cushions would work properly and the balls will be pish. To say nothing of the "cues".

If it's just a toy, buy it. If you want a real table, don't.

DanB
07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Don't bother answering gripper, according to the repost of the thread in the drawing room, he has decided he won't get any sensible answers in here anyway

Buffalo
07-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi ya Rafi, I don't think that table would be any good mate, looks a bit flimsy.

This is the sort of thing you want - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-MANHATTAN-BY-REGENCY-7-x-4-PUB-SIZE-POOL-TABLE_W0QQitemZ230003867278QQihZ013QQcategoryZ21213QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Or Pub style - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-x-4-Pool-Table-Pub-Style-Slate-Bed-As-New-cover_W0QQitemZ140002348884QQihZ004QQcategoryZ21213QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ask around the local clubs & bars for a coin op one, someone may know of one.

manker
07-03-2006, 08:34 PM
FFS, I just posted an answer to this but a mod has deleted my reply and moved the thread to the lounge.

Fecking mods :dry:

Buffalo
07-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Not good manker :no: Bad Eggs!

Mr JP Fugley
07-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi ya Rafi, I don't think that table would be any good mate, looks a bit flimsy.

This is the sort of thing you want - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-MANHATTAN-BY-REGENCY-7-x-4-PUB-SIZE-POOL-TABLE_W0QQitemZ230003867278QQihZ013QQcategoryZ21213QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Or Pub style - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-x-4-Pool-Table-Pub-Style-Slate-Bed-As-New-cover_W0QQitemZ140002348884QQihZ004QQcategoryZ21213QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ask around the local clubs & bars for a coin op one, someone may know of one.
I was going to post something along those lines, Big Baz.

Then I thought, meh I've put enough effort into telling her why not to buy the shite one.

True Story.

A 7 foot, former pub table, restored and recovered would be my ideal. Not one of those dead easy American 9-ball tables with the big pockets like. A proper Brit 8-ball table.

Buffalo
07-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Nice one Jp, you can't beat a british pub pool table, if you shop around you can get one well cheap, last week i could of got one for free from my local pub, but shipping it to Israel is a no go.

manker
07-03-2006, 08:50 PM
I had am American bloke stay a few nights in the pub I had, nice sort of a chap and he talked a good game of pool but then moaned that the pockets of the table at my pub were too tight, and that he was more used to 9-ball anyhow.

I took him to Metros in Newport, which is an American style pool hall, and beat him 5-0. It was the first time I'd ever played 9-ball pool on a proper table but it's ridiculously easy because of the bucket pockets.

Americans are pish at pool. Fact.

Mr JP Fugley
07-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Nice one Jp, you can't beat a british pub pool table, if you shop around you can get one well cheap, last week i could of got one for free from my local pub, but shipping it to Israel is a no go.
Indeed, old bean.

But not one of those 6 foot ones. They are for weans and women.

Where I used to drink, many moons ago we had big tables. So no-one else could beat us at home and we went to their places and played on their "kid's" tables and knocked fuck out of them. The last league competition I played we had won with about 10 games left to play.

In 5 years we lost one game at home, including league, cups and friendly matches. I wasn't there :snooty:.

Mr JP Fugley
07-03-2006, 08:57 PM
I had am American bloke stay a few nights in the pub I had, nice sort of a chap and he talked a good game of pool but then moaned that the pockets of the table at my pub were too tight, and that he was more used to 9-ball anyhow.

:no2:

And also, Chebus told us you were pish at pool.

manker
07-03-2006, 09:03 PM

And also, Chebus told us you were pish at pool.It was a closely fought match we played, to be sure.

He took it hard when I wrested the Inter-continental Pool Championship of the World away from its natural Westcountry home.

Mr JP Fugley
07-03-2006, 09:09 PM

And also, Chebus told us you were pish at pool.It was a hard fought match we played, to be sure.

He took it hard when I wrested the Inter-continental Pool Championship of the World away from its natural Westcountry home.
Word is your next game is a hardcore, cues and tables match.

Apparently Chebus is walking on with Crabgirl holding his arm. With her baps fully exposed.

Crabgirl however will be fully clothed.

manker
07-03-2006, 09:18 PM
:lol: :D

The effect that Chebus' exposed baps will have on my concentration will surely be an unfair advantage - so it's likely to be outlawed.

This kind of stuff is dead serious, not like your so called 'pub pool league'.

Mr JP Fugley
07-03-2006, 09:25 PM
:lol: :D

The effect that Chebus' exposed baps will have on my concentration will surely be an unfair advantage - so it's likely to be outlawed.

This kind of stuff is dead serious, not like your so called 'pub pool league'.
Hoi, that was in the forties, when we made our own entertainment.

peat moss
07-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Don't buy it if you plan on moving alot , its bitch to move and setup again.
Bought one for the boys years ago they still play it .

Make sure you buy a level as well nothing worse that a roll to the corner . :)

spenz
07-04-2006, 04:39 AM
i think if you have the passion for the game, it's worth it! happiness can't be bought though. When you're down and the day is getting too stressed out just bang a couple of sets with your friends or even by yourself and may just help turn your bad mood around. ^_^