PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, America!

Buffalo
07-04-2006, 07:53 AM
http://www.sheringhamsurf.com/data/birthday.gif

Happy Birthday, America!
On July 4, 1776, independence from Britain :snooty:
Be excellent to each other. And... PARTY ON, DUDES! http://www.sheringhamsurf.com/html//emoticons/thumb.gif
http://www.sheringhamsurf.com/data/4july06.gif

Barbarossa
07-04-2006, 09:04 AM
whatever. :ermm:

DorisInsinuate
07-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Well done America. Congratulations on your independance and genocide of the native population.

j2k4
07-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Buffalo's intentions aside, this should probably be closed.

It's not a good idea to blow air up American skirts.

DanB
07-04-2006, 07:31 PM
manker, darth and barbie aka 'the axis of evil'

manker
07-04-2006, 07:49 PM
manker, darth and barbie aka 'the axis of evil'
:lol: :lol:

Not entirely sure why I'm involved there - but quality shout anyhow :happy:

100%
07-04-2006, 07:53 PM
What do americans do on their national day? (anthropological question)
I know there are alot of parades with great sculptures
but other than that do you eat special foods, do special traditions on this day?

Proper Bo
07-04-2006, 07:54 PM

oh noes, they're going to invade doris and demand he disarms:no2:

Tempestv
07-04-2006, 08:04 PM
but other than that do you eat special foods, do special traditions on this day?
we shoot off tons of fireworks

j2k4
07-04-2006, 08:10 PM

oh noes, they're going to invade doris and demand he disarms:no2:

No, it just isn't at all important to anyone else, and frankly, it stirs up this annoying element of anti-Americanism.

Proper Bo
07-04-2006, 08:10 PM
is rodding merkins on the 4th of july allowed?:unsure:

vidcc
07-04-2006, 08:15 PM
It's not a good idea to blow air up American skirts. you wear skirts :blink:

Proper Bo
07-04-2006, 08:20 PM
pfft, I've got shoes older than america:snooty:

j2k4
07-04-2006, 08:33 PM
It's not a good idea to blow air up American skirts. you wear skirts :blink:

It's a figure of speech, but then you knew that, didn't you?

I've never asked you, Nigel-do/can you claim dual citizenship?

j2k4
07-04-2006, 08:36 PM

Yeah, I realize what a problem that is for you; your feet must be a mess.

manker
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM

I've never asked you, Kev - do/can you claim dual standards?

*note I tidied up the poor implementation of the hyphen :smilie4:

Proper Bo
07-04-2006, 08:39 PM

I don't wear them, obviously, they're rotten and the leather's pretty much turned to dust:dabs:

I would post a photo of them however my pc which my camera and camera phone connect to is fecked.

I could google a photo and say I took it though, hence me not being pictured:smilie4:

Proper Bo
07-04-2006, 08:40 PM

*note I tidied up the poor implementation of the hyphen :smilie4:

wasn't a figure of speech:no2:

okay, so maybe they're only 160 years old, but close enough:snooty:

manker
07-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Damnit :(

j2k4
07-04-2006, 09:11 PM

Why, no...do you?

Wait...upon further consideration, I must say as an American (U.S. specie) I feel we are subject to dual/different standards, yes.

manker
07-04-2006, 10:01 PM

Why, no...do you?

Wait...upon further consideration, I must say as an American (U.S. specie) I feel we are subject to dual/different standards, yes.Well, I for one don't dumb down while talking to Americans - not one iota. It's against my interweb code of honour.

I am saddened that you think this happens :(

Rat Faced
07-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Happy Boifday

http://www.inra.org/INRA%20NEWS,%20EVENTS%20PAGES/Newsletters%20-%20pdf,%20html/2003/June%202003/4th%20july%20copy.jpg

j2k4
07-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Why, no...do you?

Wait...upon further consideration, I must say as an American (U.S. specie) I feel we are subject to dual/different standards, yes.Well, I for one don't dumb down while talking to Americans - not one iota. It's against my interweb code of honour.

No you're not.

I admit our status (such as it is) demands a different standard; after all, no one would be tagging us over Geneva Convention violations, etc., if more countries were taking their own hand dealing with terrorism.

How will you gauge the outcry when (as Vladimir Putin has promised) Russia avenges their people killed in Iraq?

Do you think they will play "Gitmo Games" with them?

Not bloody likely...

BTW-

That "interweb code of honour" line is classic. :)

Proper Bo
07-05-2006, 12:14 AM
if more countries were taking their own hand dealing with terrorism.

http://www.encyclopediaofstupid.com/stupid/images/a/a9/America.jpg

manker
07-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Well, I for one don't dumb down while talking to Americans - not one iota. It's against my interweb code of honour.

No you're not.

I admit our status (such as it is) demands a different standard; after all, no one would be tagging us over Geneva Convention violations, etc., if more countries were taking their own hand dealing with terrorism.

How will you gauge the outcry when (as Vladimir Putin has promised) Russia avenges their people killed in Iraq?

Do you think they will play "Gitmo Games" with them?

Not bloody likely...

BTW-

That "interweb code of honour" line is classic. :)Sometimes I forget if I was serious or not when I read back a post of mine - this, however, isn't one of those times. I knew what you were getting at and deliberately misinterperated in order to take a shot. I do it all the time, as you've probably noticed. Often, I can't be arsed to be serious.

Your perception might be that America gets it in the neck more than other countries and you'd probably be right but, for the most part, this isn't due to people wanting to take a shot at America simply because it's America - it's because they've heard something on the news and disagree with what's gone on.

America makes more news than any other country so it follows that there will be more events for people to disagree with. You mention Gitmo, if a different country, even the UK, had done exactly the same thing then my feelings of horror would be the same.

Of course, there are folk who are anti-American and will disagree with an American action because of this but, I assure you, those people are in the minority.

I honestly do think, as I've mentioned before, that you - and a few others - have something of a persecution complex when it comes to matters such as these.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing but it can prevent objectivity on occasion - for my part, if someone makes a post with an even slightly conflictory view to my own with concerning something close to my heart (as America naturally is to yours) then I react in a similar manner.

'tis natural, I think :)

peat moss
07-05-2006, 12:38 AM

Probably a lot like us Canadians did on July 1 st , BBQ with the family ,baseball games , parades and such . Fireworks are big here too little ones love it . :)

Happy Birthday America eh .

tetrakis
07-05-2006, 01:12 AM
wow, i'm impressed. This thread is already 3 pages long and the america bashing is relatively inconsequential. In fact, a civilized discussion has emerged without resorting to silly name calling. Maybe we all can get along.

Though, i still will give it another 24 hours until most of the posts are mindless "america sucks, blah, blah, blah," nonsense.

j2k4
07-05-2006, 01:25 AM
America makes more news than any other country so it follows that there will be more events for people to disagree with.

'tis natural, I think :)

And that is the point I was trying to make.

The different standard is more aptly a problem of scale-we're fat bastards, after all.

As to your perception that I'm a bit "sensitive", I'd say I don't count the wrong people the wrong way, I count the right people the right way.

You know as well as I that there is no paucity of people who hate America for hate's sake.

I don't know anyone on this board who "hates" England, or Canada, or Scotland, or Ireland, or Spain (I don't hate France, BTW), or Iraq, or Iran, or Japan, or China, or Cuba, or Palestine (though there are plenty who hate Israel), etc., and that is what I am trying to reference.

As you say, it's only natural. :)

EDIT: SPELLING ERROR-I EMBOLDENED THE DELETED LETTER SO AS NOT TO HIDE MY EDIT, RAT-HOPE THAT'S OK. :)

Proper Bo
07-05-2006, 01:29 AM
wow, i'm impressed. This thread is already 3 pages long and the america bashing is relatively inconsequential. In fact, a civilized discussion has emerged without resorting to silly name calling. Maybe we all can get along.

Though, i still will give it another 24 hours until most of the posts are mindless "america sucks, blah, blah, blah," nonsense.

we don't do that here, we're more mature than that, cockface.

Rat Faced
07-05-2006, 01:37 AM
I don't know anyone on this board who "hates" England (The Scottish, Welsh, Irish and some of the English for starters), or Canada (who could hate Canada or Canadians? They're just too damn NICE), or Scotland (The English, Irish and Welsh?) ,or Ireland (Need I say?) or Spain (Basques and Gebralterians(sp)?)(I don't hate France, BTW), or Iraq, or Iran, or Japan, or China, or Cuba, or Palestine (thought there are plenty who hate Israel), etc., and that is what I am trying to reference.

As you say, it's only natural. :)

There isn't a "t" in though... damn Americans corrupting the language :P

Seedler
07-05-2006, 01:37 AM
merkins are ghey, most of them.

j2k4
07-05-2006, 01:42 AM
(thought there are plenty who hate Israel)

There isn't a "t" in though... damn Americans corrupting the language :P

Now, that's where you're dead wrong...the problem is that there are not two "t"s.

Are you off your game, at all, at all. :P

spenz
07-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Happy bday USA!

tetrakis
07-05-2006, 12:06 PM

we don't do that here, we're more mature than that, cockface.

funny...:P

spenz
07-06-2006, 05:40 PM
America is a great country! i live on asia and i feel they are a great leader. imagine if other countries would lead us instead of US. some countries are good but won't help unless it's their own citizen,in short they leave you alone, what if your country hass too much hunger..hell they leave you alone. =/ some countries are powerful but there's a tendency for them to be more power hungry and god knows it will start conquering other countries like middle east to get a hold of their oil supplies. Mind you, it can start another world war. The emergence of a leader country is inevitable, some will become the most powerful sooner or later and some countries are just too poor that is a fact. But we should be thankful U.S. is the leader right now. Although right now they are becoming more aggresive, it is just a respond to the world we live in right now, terrorists are more aggresive. thus, keeping peace will be more difficult and it needs vigilance to impose it more effectively. A lot of us loves and hates U.S. but it's really just a matter of generalization on how we see them act as a leader, Of course they also have many shortcomings and bad ass citizens scattered around the world, but in reality it would never outweigh the goodness that they have contributed in this world. ok enough of U.S. just think about this, which citizen has the most charitable institution stablished and personally gave help to famine scarred countries like parts of africa,asia and other parts of the world expecting to recieve nothing in return. Are they chinese,russians,french,english etc.. etc.. this is one way of analyzing what type of citizen that the country have and it is worth a look. ^_^

Biggles
07-06-2006, 10:46 PM
A celebration to be encouraged

T'is one of the few that they actually write the date properly :whistling