PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win The Golden Ball?

manker
07-06-2006, 11:51 AM
This isn't the top scorer - it's the Award for the best player at the World Cup. There are ten nominations, surprisingly, Christiano Ronaldo isn't among them.

Cheese
07-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Zinedine Zidane.

Barbarossa
07-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Even though BawA has played a blinder throughout the coppa mondial, I too will have to choose ZiZou.

lynx
07-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I thought VB had already won. ;)

DorisInsinuate
07-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Zidane, except for the first game, where France were shite.

Second choice would be Cannavaro, because he's a rock and, according to the commentators, very 'springy'.

WOX
07-06-2006, 02:54 PM
definitively cannavaro he can stop even the fastest players in every team.

BawA
07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
and where are the rest of the world, uve just added only Europian teams
there are many others who can win Golden Ball, anyway i think Zidane deserves more comparing his age to others Big shots.

manker
07-06-2006, 03:03 PM
there are many others who can win Golden Ball
No there aren't.

The ten players I've listed are the ten official nominees, you fuckwit.

Barbarossa
07-06-2006, 03:04 PM
ffs sake bawa, those are the official FIFA nominees.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5154248.stm

to be honest, if all 4 semi-finalists is european, it stands to reason that the player of the tournament is going to be european :frusty:

BawA
07-06-2006, 03:05 PM
huh?
its out already, wtf
ill still say same thing, few others deserve the title more then some listed nominess.
FIFA = Racist

DanB
07-06-2006, 03:10 PM
BawA ftw

manker
07-06-2006, 03:16 PM
huh?
its out already, wtf
ill still say same thing, few others deserve the title more then some listed nominess.
FIFA = Racist
Like who :blink:

You're fecking mental, it's a good thing no-one ever takes any notice of anything you say.

Peerzy
07-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Name one player from outside Europe that deserves to be on that list?

BawA, would it not be best just to post things in your head, and not on the board.

manker
07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Actually, Riquelme played outstandingly well in all of his games and could maybe appear on the list instead of Ballack - who, for me, has been disappointing and is probably there on reputation alone.

However, there is no way he should be winning the thing ahead of the other nominees.

DorisInsinuate
07-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Ballack was good against Argentina, but Ruquelme was probably better overall, except against Mexico, but it wasn't his job to defend.

Lehmann has had an outstanding tournament so far. Buffon hasn't really had much to do, can't really see why he can be considered for the Golden Balls.

maebach
07-06-2006, 06:26 PM
:frusty: I should've voted for bawa

FreeDoom
07-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Just remember that the Cup hasn't ended yet...
If Zinedine Yazid Zidane plays well the Final, then he'll win hands down lol

DorisInsinuate
07-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Vieira has had a good tournament. He's been fairly solid alongside Makelele, and he strides forwards to support the attack. He's scored a couple too.

But, nobody ever appreciates defensive players :no:

manker
07-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Vieira has had a good tournament. He's been fairly solid alongside Makelele, and he strides forwards to support the attack. He's scored a couple too.

But, nobody ever appreciates defensive players :no:
Oliver Kahn won it last time :dabs:

DorisInsinuate
07-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Goalkeepers aren't players :snooty:

manker
07-07-2006, 09:21 AM
He certainly wasn't this time around :schnauz:

http://wc2006.telegraph.co.uk/files/doc_img/large/ukahn25reu.jpg

Cheese
07-07-2006, 01:40 PM
nvm

Celerystalksme
07-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Viera hasn't got the plaudits he has deserved this world cup, so if Zidane has a solid showing in the final he will get the nod.

How come Grosso isn't in the top 10...if it wasnt for him Italy would never of made the final...before you jump down my throat im speaking about the goal against Germany =p *not really* =p

JPaul
07-07-2006, 02:33 PM
there are many others who can win Golden Ball
No there aren't.

The ten players I've listed are the ten official nominees, you fuckwit.
:glag::earl:

BawA has gone the way of the Busy and become a self parody.

Which is quite sad, in a funny as fuck way.

Zizu, ftw.

manker
07-07-2006, 04:52 PM
You know, Zidane probably will win the Golden Ball but I think unless he's the best player on the pitch by a mile in the final, he won't have deserved it.

The first two group games, where France had ignominious 0-0 and 1-1 draws against modest opponents, Zidane was anonymous, he was suspended for the Togo game. Against Spain and Brazil he was fantastic but in the semi final, he wasn't in the game much.

Three out of seven games as the best player on the park would maybe get him in contention for the award, becuase he is a special player, but if he fails to perform in the final, I don't think he should win it.

Cannavaro has been magnificent in every game.

JPaul
07-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Nah, even if he doesn't play in the final he should still get it. You're wrong because you disagree with me.

manker
07-07-2006, 05:21 PM
I knew you'd go with Zidane because you're a fluffy romanticist.
Nah, even if he doesn't play in the final he should still get it. You're wrong because you disagree with me.Darn, I forgot about the 'dodgy368' rule of footie arguments.

Btw, since you were unseasonably harsh a week or so back, she hasn't been back to the sport section of the board whereas before, she was a regular poster here.

Your h4r5hness really is getting out of control, first that poor Kentish lad and now this :no:

JPaul
07-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Nah, I just think he'll get it for Hollywood porpoises.

Retires from International soccerball and is convinced to come back. Retires from Real, giving up puntsphere entirely but still plays in the World Cup, for his Country. Team starts pish but thro' him playing well and scoring the pen in the semi-final they get to the final.

They win it, he picks up the cup and gets player of the Universe prize.

It's a must see.

BawA
07-07-2006, 07:10 PM
podolski Won Best Young Player award
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060707/1/8n6f.html

Cheese
07-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Retires from International soccerball and is convinced to come back.
Convinced by an apparition (http://archive.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=64451), no less. Personally I reckon it was that Paul O'Grady-looking French manager dressed up in a bedsheet..

JPaul
07-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Retires from International soccerball and is convinced to come back.
Convinced by an apparition (http://archive.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=64451), no less. Personally I reckon it was that Paul O'Grady-looking French manager dressed up in a bedsheet..
The story writes itself, FFS.

Biggles
07-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I think Zidane played an absolute blinder against Brazil and for that alone he should get it :) Most of the other players mentioned have been good too but I am not sure any have put a total "man of the match" performance like that.

Of course if he has a mare in the final that will count against him.

Why is Bawa upset about us rooting for an Algerian? :mellow:

Rooney was my outside choice :whistling

JPaul
07-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I think Zidane played an absolute blinder against Brazil and for that alone he should get it :) Most of the other players mentioned have been good too but I am not sure any have put a total "man of the match" performance like that.
You're not allowed to post here, you know what you are talking about and watch soccerball on a regular basis. Spammer.

Biggles
07-07-2006, 08:57 PM
You're not allowed to post here, you know what you are talking about and watch soccerball on a regular basis. Spammer.

Sorry :ermm:

*/+*~~## damned soccerball police! :(

JPaul
07-07-2006, 09:05 PM

Sorry :ermm:

*/+*~~## damned soccerball police! :(
You even curse like an accountant.

manker
07-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Nah, I just think he'll get it for Hollywood porpoises.

Retires from International soccerball and is convinced to come back. Retires from Real, giving up puntsphere entirely but still plays in the World Cup, for his Country. Team starts pish but thro' him playing well and scoring the pen in the semi-final they get to the final.

They win it, he picks up the cup and gets player of the Universe prize.

It's a must see.Yes, I see.

I should have made the poll question; 'Who do you think should win the Golden Ball'.

Bet you'd still say Zidane tho' - you're like a Scotch Jonno.

Peerzy
07-08-2006, 11:21 AM
While Zidane has been good in a few matches Cannavaro has been a rock for italy in every match for sure. If Italy win i can see him getting it for sure, however if France win, Zizu will get it for sure :MarcelDesailly:

manker
07-08-2006, 11:31 AM
I find myself agreeing with Marcel Desailly via the gift of Peerzy.

Sextent
07-08-2006, 03:34 PM
While Zidane has been good in a few matches Cannavaro has been a rock for italy in every match for sure. If Italy win i can see him getting it for sure, however if France win, Zizu will get it for sure :MarcelDesailly:
What if Terry Hendry scores 9 in the final.

Sextent
07-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Or if Bufoon saves 5 penalties.

manker
07-08-2006, 03:55 PM
If Ronaldo didn't win young player of the tournament because of a couple of indiscretions, it'll be the same for her - nine goals or not.

She did go down rather easily for the penalty that saw them thro' to the final and for the free kick that saw Vieira score France's second against Spain.

Sextent
07-08-2006, 03:59 PM
If Ronaldo didn't win young player of the tournament because of a couple of indiscretions, it'll be the same for her - nine goals or not.

She did go down rather easily for the penalty that saw them thro' to the final and for the free kick that saw Vieira score France's second against Spain.
I'm just saying like, it's hardly the 2 horse race that you seem to think it is.
There's still twa more games to be played.

I agree they are the favourites given their performances to date. However it's not that long ago that Argentina were unbeatable and everyone else was just fannying about till they picked up the trophy. According to some like.

manker
07-08-2006, 04:05 PM
I think it is a two horse race because of what's gone before - and if a different player gets the award, then the award givers are wrong because they disagree with me.

Sextent
07-08-2006, 04:15 PM
I think it is a two horse race because of what's gone before - and if a different player gets the award, then the award givers are wrong because they disagree with me.
Didn't someone point out that Zizu has had at least two average games. However his sublime performance agin Brazil and decent one agin Portugal made him right up there.

What if some chap plays a stunner, in the final. Didn't Zidane do just that 8 (read it 8) years ago.

manker
07-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Didn't someone point out that Zizu has had at least two average games. However his sublime performance agin Brazil and decent one agin Portugal made him right up there.

What if some chap plays a stunner, in the final. Didn't Zidane do just that 8 (read it 8) years ago.
Yeah he did but Ronaldo was still player of the tournament in 1998 - because of what he'd done in previous games.

Which is really my point :dabs:

Sextent
07-08-2006, 04:34 PM

Yeah he did but Ronaldo was still player of the tournament in 1998 - because of what he'd done in previous games.

Yeah, but neither of your picks have been stunning (see my last), more best of a mediocre lot. So I think it's still open. Well opener than you seem to think.

Anyhoo, I think Zidabe will get it unless he plays merde. Due to sentimentalness and how it's probably his last game evar.

manker
07-09-2006, 01:03 AM

Yeah, but neither of your picks have been stunning (see my last), more best of a mediocre lot. So I think it's still open. Well opener than you seem to think.

Anyhoo, I think Zidabe will get it unless he plays merde. Due to sentimentalness and how it's probably his last game evar.I hope you're eiother joking or have been hacked by some kind of United Arab Emirate.

The boy Cannavaro has caught my eye in every game. In previous tournaments he's been overshadowed by his defensive partner(s) but this time he's been the leading light in the Italian defence.

'cos of the attacking tactic thing.

He really has been magnificent. If you don't believe me, watch the games that he's played in.

JPaul
07-09-2006, 09:25 AM

Anyhoo, I think Zidabe will get it unless he plays merde. Due to sentimentalness and how it's probably his last game evar.I hope you're eiother joking or have been hacked by some kind of United Arab Emirate.

The boy Cannavaro has caught my eye in every game. In previous tournaments he's been overshadowed by his defensive partner(s) but this time he's been the leading light in the Italian defence.

He really has been magnificent. If you don't believe me, watch the games that he's played in.

Why would I want to watch the games, d'uh.

So you now think it's a 1 horse race, Cannavaro a stick on is it.

manker
07-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I hope you're eiother joking or have been hacked by some kind of United Arab Emirate.

So you now think it's a 1 horse race, Cannavaro a stick on is it.If it was up to me, aye.

However, there are likely to be several fluffy romanticists on the panel of judges, this leads me to believe that Zidane will come into the reckoning for this award.

JPaul
07-09-2006, 12:37 PM

So you now think it's a 1 horse race, Cannavaro a stick on is it.If it was up to me, aye.

However, there are likely to be several fluffy romanticists on the panel of judges, this leads me to believe that Zidane will come into the reckoning for this award.
You're right, the thread should have been "should".

manker
07-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Agreed.

It's to my eternal detriment :no:

Peerzy
07-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Chelsea to sign Cannavaro, you heard it here first.

JPaul
07-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Chelsea to sign Cannavaro, you heard it here first.
Well strictly speaking it was being discussed on Bravo Forums late June. It's just that nobody gives a shit about Chelski signing yet another big name.

manker
07-09-2006, 12:51 PM
No I didn't, I read about the rumours earlier this morning on the interweb.

JPaul
07-09-2006, 12:54 PM
He'll tell us there's a big game on today, mark my words.

BawA and maybeach will then compete to see who can post the scores first.

Anyone actually interested in football will be watching the game.

Peerzy
07-09-2006, 08:51 PM
It's gotta be Zidane, he went right through the Italian defence and used his head to do it.

JPaul
07-09-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm thinking Zidane may not be getting it now.

Peerzy
07-09-2006, 10:12 PM

For Sure :MarcelDesailly:

Sextent
07-09-2006, 10:32 PM

For Sure :MarcelDesailly:
Desailly isn't Dutch.:blink:

maebach
07-09-2006, 11:23 PM

agreed.

Barbarossa
07-10-2006, 08:39 AM
It's gotta be Zidane, he went right through the Italian defence and used his head to do it.

:lol: I think he blew it. :no:

Guillaume
07-10-2006, 10:10 AM
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5225/qu6rz.jpg
:huh: :blink:

Cheese
07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Zidane won it. :lol:

Barbarossa
07-10-2006, 10:16 AM
:glag: I bet they all voted before the final was over :lol:

EDIT: Hahahaha, at half-time. I just read Guill's post properly :pinch:

manker
07-10-2006, 11:26 AM
:dry:

Fecking fluffy romanticists.

Celerystalksme
07-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Im glad Zidane got it...The feckin Ities had it coming for 3 weeks!...i just wish he did it properly and gave every one of those cheating pricks a Zizou kiss! Buffon especially..what a cuntface!

Barbarossa
07-10-2006, 01:13 PM
:glag: You antipodeans kill me ;)

Celerystalksme
07-10-2006, 01:44 PM
I love me footy! =p

Sextent
07-10-2006, 05:36 PM
I laughed out loud when I heard it on the car radio.

Out loud I tell you.

Biggles
07-10-2006, 05:48 PM
I laughed out loud when I heard it on the car radio.

Out loud I tell you.

Likewise!

His moment of madness was Cantonaesque and perhaps even slightly enhanced his standing :whistling

DanB
07-10-2006, 05:50 PM
He certainly went out with a bang.

manker
07-10-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't understand why the votes were cast at half time.

Admittedly, I was a bit pished but I didn't notice any ceremony at the end of the game to present ZZ with the award and judging by the time of the article on the BBC website, it wasn't announced til this morning anyhow.

Shirley, in South Africa next time around, they won't be doing that again.

BawA
07-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Glad Zidane won it, he deserved it more then anyone and stop about all these Headbutting Bullshit, anyone would lose his temper in such sensetive match and on top of that somebody shittalks you, i would break his teeths aways.

Biggles
07-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Glad Zidane won it, he deserved it more then anyone and stop about all these Headbutting Bullshit, anyone would lose his temper in such sensetive match and on top of that somebody shittalks you, i would break his teeths aways.

I am also happy that Zidane won it but it would have been better if he had kept his cool and helped his team win the game (although it would have probably gone to penalties anyway and they might still be taking them)

manker
07-10-2006, 05:57 PM
This is the first time that anyone has ever head-butted anyone in a World Cup final - but I bet it's not the first time that a player said something insulting to an opponant during a World Cup final.

More like the 1001st.

As usual, you're full of shit. The award isn't just for technical ability, it's also for sportsmanship. The head-butt alone means that Zidane didn't deserve it. Just like all the general gittery precluded Christiano Ronaldo from getting the young player award.

BawA
07-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Zidane has always been cool in the games, never heared or saw him involving in Troubles in the match and just one case doesnt make him what ur preffering to.
FIFA knows better then u or do you think that everything should've be done your way and as u like.

manker
07-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Zidane has always been cool in the games, never heared or saw him involving in Troubles in the match and just one case doesnt make him what ur preffering to.
FIFA knows better then or do you guess that everything should've be done your way and as u like.
Zidane has been sent off for head-butting before, he's got a pretty volitile temperament, you're excused from not being aware of this because you don't watch much football.

As for FIFA knowing better than I do, journalists voted for this award, so what's your point.

My own was that Ronaldo wasn't considered for the young player award because of his unsportsmanlike behaviour - if the votes had been cast after the final, Zidane would not have won. There's little doubt about that.

Biggles
07-10-2006, 06:26 PM
The thing is who else really put in 3 or 4 good shifts? He played well against Brazil, Spain and Portugal and had a pretty good game against Italy for 110 minutes. I can't think of anybody else that was really that consistent other than a couple of defenders Miguel of Portugal was good as was the Italian Cavanarro(sp?). I dare say that if the Argentinians had gone all the way then one of their players might have got it.

However, they chose at half time and at that point they made the right choice. Even if they had waited till half time in extra time it would have still been the right choice (cracking header saved by Buffon). So does 10 seconds of mild red mist really negate the choice. If he had really delivered a Glasgow Kiss to the bridge of the nose then maybe :) but the thump to the chest was little more than a bog standard rugby tackle. The chap was up in much quicker time than most of the ordinary tackles in that extra time.

manker
07-10-2006, 06:37 PM
The thing is who else really put in 3 or 4 good shifts? He played well against Brazil, Spain and Portugal and had a pretty good game against Italy for 110 minutes. I can't think of anybody else that was really that consistent other than a couple of defenders Miguel of Portugal was good as was the Italian Cavanarro(sp?). I dare say that if the Argentinians had gone all the way then one of their players might have got it.

However, they chose at half time and at that point they made the right choice. Even if they had waited till half time in extra time it would have still been the right choice (cracking header saved by Buffon). So does 10 seconds of mild red mist really negate the choice. If he had really delivered a Glasgow Kiss to the bridge of the nose then maybe :) but the thump to the chest was little more than a bog standard rugby tackle. The chap was up in much quicker time than most of the ordinary tackles in that extra time.Well, Miguel is a full back and had a fairly okayish tournament but he come nowhere near the level of Cannavaro - or if you want to compare like for like, hasn't been as effective as either of the Italian full backs. Maybe you're thinking of Carvalho, who had an outstanding time in Germany.

Pirlo has been at the centre of everything good for the Italians and has put himself forward as one of the top four midfielders in the world. His performances have been top notch without reaching the heights Zidane did occasionally.

The reason I say Cannavaro should have won it is because he hasn't had a regular partner in the centre of defence yet has marshalled it superbly. He started with Nesta, who got injured, then steps in Materazzi, who has been fairly inconsistent throughout his career - but was a colossus alongside Cannavaro. He got suspended and then Barzaghli filled in. All the while, Cannavaro has played superbly and organised the other defenders fantastically well.

Zidane has done some good things, obviously, but, as I said, sportsmanship is a big part of the award, therefore the head-butt should preclude him from winning it because he wasn't that much better than his peers to compensate for it.

manker
07-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Hang on a sec ... 'mild red mist'.

Mild? :lol:

I'm glad I didnae play footie with you.

Biggles
07-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Hang on a sec ... 'mild red mist'.

Mild? :lol:

I'm glad I didnae play footie with you.

:lol:

A true Glasgow Kiss requires elevation and velocity - Zidane did a Billy Goat Gruff thing.

JPaul
07-10-2006, 10:08 PM
I agree, it wasn't actually that bad from a non-poof football point of view.

There was no prospect of breaking the cawk's leg, ending his career, doing him serious damage.

He nutted him high up on the chest ffs, a knee jerk reaction to extreme provocation. He didn't lunge in two footed and deliberately break another man's leg, possibly crippling him. In a pre-meditated manner. Or Keane him, as it's now known.

The only justification for that tackle being, "I tried to cripple him before, but I made an arse of it and crocked myself".

Allez Zizu.

manker
07-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Ahh, Roy Keane.

Now there's a leg end.

Biggles
07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Ahh, Roy Keane.

Now there's a leg end.

just not attached to the body end :shifty:

and of course there are always German goalkeepers:O

DorisInsinuate
07-11-2006, 12:06 AM
After seeing Materazzi's antics in teh other thread, I think Zidane should be awarded the Golden Ball just for the headbutt.