PDA

View Full Version : University Application

Seedler
07-06-2006, 11:50 PM
I'm going to gather info on different universities, and I want to know the application process for both Canadian and American universities. Couple google searches generated lots of spam, so can someone please give me links to google universities ratings/application guide sites?:)

Thx much in advance.

Biggles
07-06-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm going to gather info on different universities, and I want to know the application process for both Canadian and American universities. Couple google searches generated lots of spam, so can someone please give me links to google universities ratings/application guide sites?:)

Thx much in advance.

I think the rule is avoid anything with Billy Bob in the title.

Rat Faced
07-07-2006, 12:05 AM
It depends upon the subject...

Overall, the "named" rankings for the US are:

These Ones (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php)

But Yale, for instance, can come as low as 20... depending upon the Subject.

Harvard always appears to be in top 4 or 5 though.

For Canada try Here. (http://www.macleans.ca/universities/article.jsp?content=20060613_163951_3996)

And you may find this (http://www.macleans.ca/universities/article.jsp?content=20060614_144614_6444) useful.

DorisInsinuate
07-07-2006, 12:23 AM
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

On my uni application I just ticked all the appropiate boxes using a black ballpoint pen, and then attached a letter that I bullshitted in about how much I was excited by the subject.

Buffalo
07-07-2006, 12:46 AM
I went to the University of Sheringham,
it's just the same as the University of Cambridge in a lot of ways,
I guess the name "Cambridge" made it, odd.

Famous Cambridge brand names,
Cambridge Country Inn's potato soup
Cambridge Soup Bowl
Cambridge Diet

what is it with Cambridge, soup & Diet :unsure:

Seedler
07-07-2006, 12:51 AM
It depends upon the subject...

Overall, the "named" rankings for the US are:

These Ones (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php)

But Yale, for instance, can come as low as 20... depending upon the Subject.

Harvard always appears to be in top 4 or 5 though.

For Canada try Here. (http://www.macleans.ca/universities/article.jsp?content=20060613_163951_3996)

And you may find this (http://www.macleans.ca/universities/article.jsp?content=20060614_144614_6444) useful.

Thx much for the helpful links, now I just need a guide on the application process.:)

On my uni application I just ticked all the appropiate boxes using a black ballpoint pen, and then attached a letter that I bullshitted in about how much I was excited by the subject.

Larf @ comment.:D

I wonder what you had to do to get in...:naughty:

And to Buffalo, could you tell me, liek, the application process you went thru?:blink:

Buffalo
07-07-2006, 12:59 AM
application process, you need to know stuff now! :O
IMDb user comments for How I Got Into College (1989)

Tempestv
07-07-2006, 01:27 AM
what's your major?

Seedler
07-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Do Canadian students need to take TOEFL to go to a U.S. university?:blink:

I'll be pished if I do.:pinch:

Seedler
07-07-2006, 01:32 AM
what's your major?

I'm not completely decided yet, but it should be something in the field of business, including accounting, economics, business administration, etc etc.

Tempestv
07-07-2006, 02:31 AM
I had a pretty easy time deciding- MSU is in state, one of the top engineering schools in the country (compeating with staford, not bad for a state school from montana), and cheap as hell ($2000 a year with all my rebates) I didn't really spend a lot of time deciding where to go. By the way, I know I am biased, but MSU is strong in Math and Business.

Seedler
07-07-2006, 02:57 AM
M'kay, thx for the insight. will look up MSU.

maebach
07-07-2006, 03:47 AM
Mit?

Tempestv
07-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Mit?
I thought MIT was more tecnical, ya, lots of math, but aimed at engineering and phisics, not economics and accounting.

thewizeard
07-07-2006, 06:40 AM
Thx much for the helpful links, now I just need a guide on the application process.:)

Larf @ comment.:D

I wonder what you had to do to get in...:naughty:

And to Buffalo, could you tell me, liek, the application process you went thru?:blink:

If you can't do that without help...then I think you better forget the whole process... j/k ;)

100%
07-07-2006, 06:49 AM
I thought the only thing you needed for USA Uni's was allot of cash?

sArA
07-07-2006, 07:25 AM
I thought the only thing you needed for USA Uni's was allot of cash?

Or be good at Sport oddly...:unsure:

Strange that, cos I never really understood how being good at sport would mean that one is good academically. I mean, look at David Beckham and Wayne Rooney, they are clearly highly developed intellectuals.:lol: :lol:

cpt_azad
07-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Well, I didn't know jack shit and no one helped me do my applications for University but it's pretty straight forward, just go to the online site for the Univ. in question, then click on apply online, yadayadayada and follow the steps, not as hard as it sounds trust me (although some require you to send in reference letters, not all though).

My suggestions for Univ. to apply to (canadian):

RMC
UBC
SFU
UofT
McGill
Royal Roads
Waterloo

Those are the ones I applied to and as far as I know all of them (exception for Royal Road, not 100% sure though) have business, political science, etc. courses/degrees/faculties.

I got into all the ones I applied (the above list basically) except UofT, that univ. is one bitch and a half to get into.

Oh and RMC only if you want military discipline and free education (nothing is free...)

Barbarossa
07-07-2006, 08:51 AM
I think if you're not intelligent enough to work out how to apply to universities, then you're probably not university material... :ermm:

Gemby!
07-07-2006, 10:56 AM
ucas :01:

Seedler
07-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Mit?

Use Google.:dry:

Seedler
07-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Bump again, do Canadian students need to take TOFEL to go to merkin universities?

100%
07-07-2006, 02:00 PM
this might help : The Sims 2: University (PC)(2005) (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=119059)

JPaul
07-07-2006, 03:02 PM

Thx much in advance.
I thought you had just been accepted for some type of special school.

JPaul
07-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Well, I didn't know jack shit and no one helped me do my applications for University but it's pretty straight forward, just go to the online site for the Univ. in question, then click on apply online, yadayadayada and follow the steps, not as hard as it sounds trust me (although some require you to send in reference letters, not all though).

RMC
UBC
SFU
UofT
McGill
Royal Roads
Waterloo

Those are the ones I applied to and as far as I know all of them (exception for Royal Road, not 100% sure though) have business, political science, etc. courses/degrees/faculties.

I got into all the ones I applied (the above list basically) except UofT, that univ. is one bitch and a half to get into.

Oh and RMC only if you want military discipline and free education (nothing is free...)

I thought you had just been sent away to some type of special school.

DorisInsinuate
07-07-2006, 05:07 PM
UCAS are true kings among Bureaucrats.

Biggles
07-07-2006, 07:29 PM

It was relatively simple in my day. Then you told UCAS your choice of subject and your choice of University (ranked 1, 2 and 3). They aimed to give you your first choice and all you had to do was pass the exams. After long and complex discussions with SGG's big bro it apparently is no longer like that, although after much form filling he does appear to have got his first choice. Now he is doing battle with the SED forms for handling the fees etc., halls of residence and other matters that lend themselves to bureaucratic joy.

JPaul
07-07-2006, 07:41 PM

It was relatively simple in my day. Then you told UCAS your choice of subject and your choice of University (ranked 1, 2 and 3). They aimed to give you your first choice and all you had to do was pass the exams. After long and complex discussions with SGG's big bro it apparently is no longer like that, although after much form filling he does appear to have got his first choice. Now he is doing battle with the SED forms for handling the fees etc., halls of residence and other matters that lend themselves to bureaucratic joy.
Halcyon days.

I want to go there, I want to do that, pay my fees, give me money (that I don't pay back like).

Progress. My arse.

MagicNakor
07-07-2006, 07:49 PM
The "Test of English as a Foreign Language?" No, you don't need to take that. However, you do have to take the SAT (or you did when I was looking at US universities).

:shuriken:

Rat Faced
07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
You have to pass your SATs to enter an American University...

Now that does explain a lot... :lol: :lol:

cpt_azad
07-07-2006, 10:19 PM

RMC
UBC
SFU
UofT
McGill
Royal Roads
Waterloo

I thought you had just been sent away to some type of special school.
I chose not to go to RMC and instead attend Civillian Univ. Mainly cuz of the money, if you live there they deduct a huge chunk off your paycheque for room and board. Either way I get my officer's salary and 5 years (max) paid university (although the course I'm taking is 4 years, just like any other Bachelors). Air Force ftw :happy:

I only applied to so many place so I can keep my options open, and so far so good. But damn, I lost a lot of money for those stupid application fees and what not :dry:

Proper Bo
07-07-2006, 10:36 PM
You should have punched them all in the arm till they gave you your money back:smilie4: