PDA

View Full Version : car engine oil...

Duffman
07-11-2006, 05:20 AM
Yeah, my car was really low on oil and there was nothing close by that I could get some at. The car was supposed to have 5w-30, but all I could find was 5w-20, that won't have any major effect on anything will it?

Sextent
07-11-2006, 06:41 AM
Yeah, my car was really low on oil and there was nothing close by that I could get some at. The car was supposed to have 5w-30, but all I could find was 5w-20, that won't have any major effect on anything will it?
No.

Duffman
07-11-2006, 06:55 AM
alright, I didn't think so, just wanted to be sure.

Guyver
07-11-2006, 07:02 AM
***booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!!!***

Buffalo
07-11-2006, 12:03 PM
If the car is burning oil I would get rid of it, dump it Dude! or sell it on eBay :lol:
It won't pass the emissions test anyway.
in my old car, I used Happy Shopper veg oil as it was only 39p a litre.

Biggles
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
If the car is burning oil I would get rid of it, dump it Dude! or sell it on eBay :lol:

:unsure:

Cheap but hardly effective. Mental note: avoid ever buying one of Buffalo's cars.

Duffman

A top up with a lower viscosity multi-grade oil is not going to alter the price of fish. If you did a complete oil change with the 5w20 oil it would not perform as well in the extremes of heat and cold as the 5w30. However, at your next service it will get the correct oil, non?

Buffalo
07-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Happy Shopper veg oil has an 5w10 effect, with 899 kcal's per 100g
it's fine for the older car that you are running into the ground, but it may have damaging effects to the engine from heat, so don't go too far.

Chip Monk
07-11-2006, 05:01 PM

Cheap but hardly effective. Mental note: avoid ever buying one of Buffalo's cars.

Duffman

A top up with a lower viscosity multi-grade oil is not going to alter the price of fish. If you did a complete oil change with the 5w20 oil it would not perform as well in the extremes of heat and cold as the 5w30. However, at your next service it will get the correct oil, non?

It will however get a marginally better mileage, due to there being less drag.

So - marginally better mileage (teeny), slightly less protection, mattering not one jot unless you rev it to the red line a lot.

Biggles
07-11-2006, 08:01 PM

Duffman

So - marginally better mileage (teeny), slightly less protection, mattering not one jot unless you rev it to the red line a lot.

Presumably we are talking about the 5w20 (in which case I think fair comment) and not Buffalo's Spy Crisp and Dry solution which I suspect might be so thin as to prove an interesting challenge for valve rings and seals all round the engine of an elderly car?

JPaul
07-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Presumably we are talking about the 5w20 (in which case I think fair comment) and not Buffalo's Spy Crisp and Dry solution which I suspect might be so thin as to prove an interesting challenge for valve rings and seals all round the engine of an elderly car?
:lol:

Indeed, the Spry would probably be better to run the engine, not lubricate it.

manker
07-11-2006, 08:05 PM
As has been well documented on this forum, I know next to feck all about engines and cars. Sometimes, threads like this make me feel a bit under-educated and I get a brief urge to study the area.

Brief is the key word here ... why the feck does anyone, apart from a mechanic, care :huh:

JPaul
07-11-2006, 08:08 PM
I don't care about such things.

However, like Les I have accumulated vast tract of knowledge over my 70 plus years.

It's just one of those things.

Biggles
07-11-2006, 08:10 PM
There was a time Manker before Electronic Management Systems when it was a tad more economical to service ones own car. I still recall battling with twin SU carbs :( (never did get the bloody things spot on, required the arms of a well trained octupus).

JPaul
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm afraid oil changes, plugs leads and points etc were about my limit. The usual brake discs / pads callipers etc obviousement.

I think the most complex thing I've ever done was change a distributor and adjust the advance and retard. Did a no bad job too.

manker
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Ah, that makes it a tad clearer.

Buffalo
07-11-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm good at welding, MIG and ARK, I've done clutch plates but only rear wheel drive, done a head gasket on a Toyota hi lux R14.
Brakes are quite easy to do,
Did a spray Job at one time and I did not wear the proper safety protection and ended up in hospital :lol:
But I would not use Spry Crisp 'n Dry in my engine :no:

lynx
07-12-2006, 12:24 AM
I think the most complex thing I've ever done was change a distributor and adjust the advance and retard. Did a no bad job too.I used to be able to do the advance/retard thing too.

These days I have to get the garage to service it, but I think they just employ retards.

Duffman
07-12-2006, 05:02 AM
Yeah, I parked my car on the street that night, and when I left the house the next day I looked where I parked for any fluids because my car has been acting strangly and there was a puddle of oil there. The next night I parked in the driveway like I should have, and this morning there was no major oil puddle, just a little bit. I'm thinking someone else parked a car there with an oil leak and I just thought it was from me.

Barbarossa
07-12-2006, 08:58 AM
errrrrrrmmmmmm..... or there's no oil left in your car, dude :ermm:

Buffalo
07-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Set fire to it and claim on the insurance,
I think it's legal if you don't like the car no more or it's been very naughty :unsure:

Mrs Smith from Norwich got £80 for her old car.
http://www.sheringhamsurf.com/data/carfire.jpg

spenz
07-13-2006, 01:49 AM
it's ok but don't do it too often.lol