PDA

View Full Version : Now it's happening in India

j2k4
07-11-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm sure this link needs updating, too:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,202920,00.html

I wonder who'll claim responsibility for this...or who will be blamed.

Sympathies, support, and thoughts with the Indian people now.

100%
07-11-2006, 09:12 PM
yes just saw this, mumbai why?

j2k4
07-11-2006, 09:16 PM
yes just saw this, mumbai why?

Too Western, possibly?

Who the fuck knows?

Those responsible are too twisted to live, no matter what their purported reasoning.

100%
07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
mumbai is headquarters of bollywood, can not be it, Goa is western tourist town.

manker
07-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I think Mumbai was chosen as a target simply because of how busy it is; ie. to maximise casualties.

It probably has something to do with the Kashmir situation - that was widely thought to be the stimulus for the previous bombings in Mumbai.

There are some horrible pictures coming out of India right now.

j2k4
07-11-2006, 09:38 PM
mumbai is headquarters of bollywood, can not be it, Goa is western tourist town.

What I meant was that India is not hostile to the west.

That's probably sufficient...

j2k4
07-11-2006, 09:53 PM
I think Mumbai was chosen as a target simply because of how busy it is; ie. to maximise casualties.

It probably has something to do with the Kashmir situation - that was widely thought to be the stimulus for the previous bombings in Mumbai.

There are some horrible pictures coming out of India right now.

Yes.

Tomorrow will be a harrowing news day.

100%
07-11-2006, 09:56 PM
pakistan?

manker
07-11-2006, 10:00 PM
pakistan?
An extremist group who want India out of Kashmir, probably.

Not Pakistan.

vidcc
07-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Too Western, possibly?

Who the fuck knows?

Those responsible are too twisted to live, no matter what their purported reasoning.
Honest question...not a dig... Do you know much about the history of past and present violence in India? post british rule.....

I ask because the title seems to give the impression that you think terrorism (or acts of violence designed to impact opinion) would be new to them

Now it's happening in India

I couldn't agree more with your last line

j2k4
07-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Honest question...not a dig... Do you know much about the history of past and present violence in India? post british rule.....

I ask because the title seems to give the impression that you think terrorism (or acts of violence designed to impact opinion) would be new to them

I know enough.

Seems to me this latest will reveal as part and parcel of that which has afflicted western targets over the last several years; I guess that means (to my mind, anyway) fundamentalist Islam.

You think otherwise?

vidcc
07-12-2006, 01:26 AM
I know enough.

Seems to me this latest will reveal as part and parcel of that which has afflicted western targets over the last several years; I guess that means (to my mind, anyway) fundamentalist Islam.

You think otherwise?

So another honest question...not a dig... India is new to attacks from muslims?

I do think it possible that the people that did this have created ties with AQ..... they are an international concern after all. But I would say that your statement (quoted above) may be slightly backwards.... western targets have joined the likes of India in being afflicted with fundamentalist Islamic (amonst other) attacks....hence the reason I pointed out the "now" in the title.

j2k4
07-12-2006, 02:11 AM
I know enough.

You think otherwise?

So another honest question...not a dig... India is new to attacks from muslims?

I do think it possible that the people that did this have created ties with AQ..... they are an international concern after all. But I would say that your statement (quoted above) may be slightly backwards.... western targets have joined the likes of India in being afflicted with fundamentalist Islamic (amonst other) attacks....hence the reason I pointed out the "now" in the title.

So your point would be that the traditional "west" is a late-comer to Muslim-sponsored violence?

Sure, if you say so.

I won't bother to google, 'cuz I prefer genuine discourse.

Might we re-evaluate if we find out Al Qaeda is responsible, or that whomever is responsible is affiliated?

maebach
07-12-2006, 02:47 AM
India has had horrible experiences with muslims and pakistan after their war. 1979? Whenever it was, after wards theres been attacks, but not as big as this. Mostly temples or religious statues. The news said that this was the worst attack in mumbai in the last 10 years. I think 10 years ago there was a bigger one (200-250 casualties they said). My dad is quite angry right now, he says that India is too chicken and liberal to get strict around Kashmir and the borders. Who's responsible? We dont know. Who'll take it, probably a small part of AQ. I just hope they can catch and stop terrorism around the world. Russia just killed their 'bin laden' who conducted the school hostage thing a few years ago.

lynx
07-12-2006, 08:10 AM
This snippet illustrates Vid's point, I think.

The attacks are the worst in the city for more than a decade. More than 250 people died in a string of blasts in the city in 1993.

Analysts say Mumbai has been a repeated target because it is a financial hub and a centre for the underworld.

sear
07-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Indeed Mumbai and India as a whole isn't new to terrorist attacks. As was mentioned before this is most likely the work of Kashmiri militants...though one expert I spoke to today (i'm a journalist) had information sugesting an Indian based student group worked with Lashkar e Toiba to carry out this attack. and for the student group at least death not politics was the only motive. having said that it's hard to know how accurate this info is as I have been unable to confirm it from other security sources.

I think the most interesting thing about this latest attack is that no one has claimed responsibility. not even any wackos out there that had nothing to do with it? why?

Also the Indian security services have been quick to react carrying out a number of raids but at the same time the Indian government has been careful to avoid mentioning Pakistan as a source of the terror. It makes a big change from other attacks in India which have tended to increase regional tensions.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out and to see who is finaly responsible.

It's a harsh wold we live in when hundreds (thousands even when you count the families of the maimed and wounded) can be wiped out for no reason :(

vidcc
07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
So your point would be that the traditional "west" is a late-comer to Muslim-sponsored violence?

Sure, if you say so.

Along those lines but remove "Muslim-sponsored" and substitute "west" for USA