PDA

View Full Version : tweak ui disabled

the mask
07-12-2006, 10:16 PM
hi, i have a program on my pc called 'tweak ui'. when i try to open it i get a message saying 'tweak ui has been disabled by the administrator'. i am the administrator! any ideas??
os is win xp

tesco
07-12-2006, 10:26 PM
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakuirest.htm

Basically, this error occurs if you have the registry editing restrictions or policies enabled. If DisableRegistryTools is set to 1 in the registry or via Group Policy Editor, TweakUI also does not start. Tweak UI checks for the existence of DisableRegistryTools policy at startup. The protocol was well followed by the programmer there, as Tweak UI also modifies the registry.
To Fix:

If your system is in a Network, you may need to contact the Network Administrator to relax this restriction (if needed). For standalone PCs, try the following and remove the registry editing restrictions:
1. Click Start, Run and type this command exactly as given below: (better - Copy and paste)

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Now, you should be able to launch TweakUI, as well as the Registry Editor.

Using the Group Policy Editor - For Windows XP Professional

DisableRegistryTools value corresponds to the Disable registry editing tools Group Policy

User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ System
Click Start, Run and type GPEDIT.MSC to launch the Group Policy Editor, and set the policy to Not Configured

100%
07-12-2006, 10:30 PM
or right clik the .exe > run as

there are better things than tweak ui

the mask
07-18-2006, 04:13 PM
that last instruction on there about how to launch the 'group policy editior' didnt work? i clicked on start> run and then copy/pasted GPEDIT.MSC, and an error message came up saying 'windows cannot find....'

tesco
07-18-2006, 07:10 PM
It's for xp pro only...