PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Light Stays On After Shutdown

Elvenmunky
07-17-2006, 11:43 AM
can someone help? tis well annoying!! (its not a USB mouse btw and its optical)

Virtualbody1234
07-17-2006, 11:58 AM
It's normal.

Barbarossa
07-17-2006, 12:02 PM
I'd like it to stop doing it too.

T0TAL-RECALL
07-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Mine stays on for a few mins after I shutdown but then will go into sleep mode and turn its self off until I move it.

lynx
07-17-2006, 03:07 PM
can someone help? tis well annoying!! (its not a USB mouse btw and its optical)If it is not wireless then your mouse is being supplied with standby power.

There should be a jumper on the motherboard which allows you to change it.

suprafreak6
07-18-2006, 11:11 PM
mine does that too..im going to have to look in the mobo manual for the placement of that jumper...annoying as hell with my bright mouse with a huge light on top

Looked at manual...nothign in there about it...ill check mobo it self for any jumpers...cant change it in the bios either..

mr. nails
07-19-2006, 05:07 AM
switch to logitech.

tesco
07-19-2006, 05:15 AM
switch to logitech.What does the mouse brand have to do with the motherboard supplying standby power to the mouse?:dry:

S!X
07-19-2006, 06:34 AM
Mine does the same, who cares..

mr. nails
07-19-2006, 07:52 AM
switch to logitech.What does the mouse brand have to do with the motherboard supplying standby power to the mouse?:dry:
i've had all kinds of mb's and just one brand of mouse. my logitech never stays lit. pretty gay that it would.

Chewie
07-19-2006, 08:49 AM
What does the mouse brand have to do with the motherboard supplying standby power to the mouse?:dry:
i've had all kinds of mb's and just one brand of mouse. my logitech never stays lit. pretty gay that it would.
That doesn't mean it's the mouse that's the problem, just that you've not yet had a motherboard supplying standby power.

The lights on my mouse and USB mousepad hub both stay on but that doesn't bother me since I sleep 10 yards away from the computer. I find it handy that the standby supply will charge the PDA in it's cradle when the computer's off.

zapjb
07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
I'd like a fix as well.

fkdup74
07-19-2006, 12:20 PM
switch to logitech.

I have a Logitech. It stays lit. BFD.
I say if you can't handle it....go back to the roller ball type. :P

Virtualbody1234
07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
switch to logitech.

I have a Logitech. It stays lit. BFD.
I say if you can't handle it....go back to the roller ball type. :P
Or turn off the switch to the power supply.

Elvenmunky
07-22-2006, 12:09 PM
yeh i just changed the mouse from the ps2 slot to a usb slot and there is no problem no more :)...damn light!

suprafreak6
07-23-2006, 01:49 AM
i did that...it didnt help :(

Virtualbody1234
07-23-2006, 01:58 AM
i did that...it didnt help :(
You turned off the power supply and the light stayed on??? :O :O :O

Virtualbody1234
07-23-2006, 02:13 AM
can someone help? tis well annoying!! (its not a USB mouse btw and its optical)

yeh i just changed the mouse from the ps2 slot to a usb slot and there is no problem no more ...damn light!

How did you change to a USB slot if it's not a USB mouse?

And btw... The fact that a mouse is optical has nothing to do with how it's connected (PS/2, USB or otherwise).

Guyver
07-23-2006, 02:43 AM
Mines been flashing red for 2 weeks because the batteries are dying, it still works lol

suprafreak6
07-23-2006, 03:02 AM
id rather not have to hassel to turn off the powersupply everyday...id think that could mess it up by changing it from current flow to none to current flow and such...im probably wrong though

Elvenmunky
07-23-2006, 09:42 AM
yeh i just changed the mouse from the ps2 slot to a usb slot and there is no problem no more ...damn light!

And btw... The fact that a mouse is optical has nothing to do with how it's connected (PS/2, USB or otherwise).

Erm mine came with a ps2 thingy that allows me to plug the usb into it. :D

lynx
07-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Anyone would think it was rocket science to look at the manual and see where the jumpers are located on the motherboard.

It will be labeled something like KBPWR or PS2PWR for a ps2 connection, or USBPWR for a USB connection, and the options are 5V or 5VSB or something like that. 5VSB provides power when the system is off or in standby, 5V only provides power when the system is on.

The idea is to allow the keyboard to be used to power up the system rather than use the power button, so the manual may describe it as keyboard wake-up.

Virtualbody1234
07-23-2006, 02:19 PM

Erm mine came with a ps2 thingy that allows me to plug the usb into it. :D
So... Contrary to your first post, it is a USB mouse. :P

suprafreak6
07-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Anyone would think it was rocket science to look at the manual and see where the jumpers are located on the motherboard.

It will be labeled something like KBPWR or PS2PWR for a ps2 connection, or USBPWR for a USB connection, and the options are 5V or 5VSB or something like that. 5VSB provides power when the system is off or in standby, 5V only provides power when the system is on.

The idea is to allow the keyboard to be used to power up the system rather than use the power button, so the manual may describe it as keyboard wake-up.
i did look at the manual...nothing in there...dumb gigabyte company doesnt even include a dual bios chip when its clearly advertised as having one...:stars:

Virtualbody1234
07-23-2006, 07:19 PM

i did look at the manual...nothing in there...dumb gigabyte company doesnt even include a dual bios chip when its clearly advertised as having one...:stars:
What model Gigabyte board is that?

suprafreak6
07-23-2006, 09:47 PM
GA-K8N-SLI
you got alot of sources...maybe you can help..

lynx
07-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Looks like gigabyte don't have that option, so the keyboard and mouse must always be supplied from 5VSB. I can see that being a problem with some high power use keyboards

Virtualbody1234
07-23-2006, 10:29 PM
I just checked the specs of the GA-K8N-SLI. I don't see Dual BIOS "advertised". Where did you see that?

Appzalien
07-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't think its the motherboard, rather the mouse. I have had a Logitec optical that stayed on all the time but if I put a different optical on (microsoft or another type of logitec) it wasn't a problem. It has to be a separate led thats hooked to the constant power of the mouse. Some one in engineering said "wouldn't it be nice if the user could see the mouse in the dark to start the computer?) viola, there you go. Inorder for mouse movement to start a computer (same as a key on the keyboard) the infared light has to be on all the time. Since infared is not visible to the naked eye, an led is also added for your eyes sake so when you lift your optical mouse when the computer is on you see an led not the infared. Therefore all mice are on all the time but its the maunufacturer that decides whether or not to hook an led to the constant power or the PC on power of the mouse connections. So when your PC is off the infared of the mouse is on but not visable and the mouse appears to be off only because the maker decided not to have the led on as well.

suprafreak6
07-24-2006, 04:37 PM
I just checked the specs of the GA-K8N-SLI. I don't see Dual BIOS "advertised". Where did you see that?
on the box...

suprafreak6
07-24-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't think its the motherboard, rather the mouse. I have had a Logitec optical that stayed on all the time but if I put a different optical on (microsoft or another type of logitec) it wasn't a problem. It has to be a separate led thats hooked to the constant power of the mouse. Some one in engineering said "wouldn't it be nice if the user could see the mouse in the dark to start the computer?) viola, there you go. Inorder for mouse movement to start a computer (same as a key on the keyboard) the infared light has to be on all the time. Since infared is not visible to the naked eye, an led is also added for your eyes sake so when you lift your optical mouse when the computer is on you see an led not the infared. Therefore all mice are on all the time but its the maunufacturer that decides whether or not to hook an led to the constant power or the PC on power of the mouse connections. So when your PC is off the infared of the mouse is on but not visable and the mouse appears to be off only because the maker decided not to have the led on as well.
lol...its not the mouse

Virtualbody1234
07-24-2006, 05:37 PM
on the box...
The box has GIGABYTE Unique Features on the back. It doesn't mean that that specific board has all those features. It's just advertising for their product line.

Always look at the specifications to know what you're getting.

It also says:
* Not all models support the features above.

suprafreak6
07-24-2006, 06:17 PM
oh...o well doesnt really matter to me

lynx
07-24-2006, 06:19 PM
I don't think its the motherboard, rather the mouse. I have had a Logitec optical that stayed on all the time but if I put a different optical on (microsoft or another type of logitec) it wasn't a problem. It has to be a separate led thats hooked to the constant power of the mouse. Some one in engineering said "wouldn't it be nice if the user could see the mouse in the dark to start the computer?) viola, there you go. Inorder for mouse movement to start a computer (same as a key on the keyboard) the infared light has to be on all the time. Since infared is not visible to the naked eye, an led is also added for your eyes sake so when you lift your optical mouse when the computer is on you see an led not the infared. Therefore all mice are on all the time but its the maunufacturer that decides whether or not to hook an led to the constant power or the PC on power of the mouse connections. So when your PC is off the infared of the mouse is on but not visable and the mouse appears to be off only because the maker decided not to have the led on as well.That's great.

How come thay haven't patented this system for generating light without power? :dry:

Appzalien
07-25-2006, 02:39 PM
There is always power to the mouse and keyboard, otherwise the keyboards power on key would not work and the same goes for the mouse. I can enable a setting in my bios that if I move the mouse the computer starts, that means the infared sensor is on to detect movement and there is power to the mouse. Come on guys, this is not rocket science. When the motherboard manufacturers decided to expand the power on possibilities of the board the mouse and keyboard makers implemented changes to take advantage of the them, even a ball mouse will start the computer when moved if you select that option in the bios, how do you think that would be possible if the mouse didn't have power when the computer is off. And if some engineer either makes a mistake or decides to purposely hook an led to the always on power you have a mouse that stays lit when the computer is off.

lynx
07-25-2006, 11:16 PM
There is always power to the mouse and keyboard, otherwise the keyboards power on key would not work and the same goes for the mouse. I can enable a setting in my bios that if I move the mouse the computer starts, that means the infared sensor is on to detect movement and there is power to the mouse. Come on guys, this is not rocket science. When the motherboard manufacturers decided to expand the power on possibilities of the board the mouse and keyboard makers implemented changes to take advantage of the them, even a ball mouse will start the computer when moved if you select that option in the bios, how do you think that would be possible if the mouse didn't have power when the computer is off. And if some engineer either makes a mistake or decides to purposely hook an led to the always on power you have a mouse that stays lit when the computer is off.Not on my systems, I have the option of supplying power to the keyboard, mouse, and USB devices. I choose not to, and that's quite rightly the default. You should only supply power to devices which you need when the system is in standby, anyone who gratuitously supplies power in other circumstances is risking overload of the standby power. It may be only a small part of your PSU, but if you blow it the rest is worthless. Having found out that it isn't an option on gigabyte boards, they just got crossed off my list of potential buys.