PDA

View Full Version : XP network stuff is f*cked

mikeco
07-17-2006, 11:18 PM
:huh: installed XP SP2 march something or other... on new pc and its all fine apart from the network settings.

when installed there was 3 dlls which couldnt get off the cd and 1 other file i dunno...

anyway if i try to go to properties on the connections it just says a error "an unexpected error occured."

im still able to browse the net as it connected its self to my router... but if like to get it working right and its not letting me get on msn cos of it or let me host over lan/hamachi... i cant even host a ftp server on it and connect from my laptop (was wanting to send some files over :dry: )

any ideas what to do?

i realy dont feel like reinstalling windows cos i cant be arst installing all the programs again. :ermm:

Appzalien
07-17-2006, 11:44 PM
I've had the problem of the installation not finding the files from the cd and I don't know why it can't but I have found if it allows you to search yourself (its not always an option) often you will find the files by manually pointing it to the cd's folders. It's time consuming and frustrating but beats an incomplete install. When this is an option it usually shows the file you need in a small dialog box and as you point around, if it finds it, it will appear in the larger dialog box and you got it.

peat moss
07-18-2006, 12:41 AM
I take it it nots a Pro version your using mikeco ? I'm thinking of the Network Setup Wizard Iv had success with .

Have you tryed looking here ?

http://www.dll-downloads.com/

mikeco
07-18-2006, 01:16 AM
found this on google its my problem but it doesnt seem to fix it for me...

Error Message: "An unexpected error occurred."

Translation: This message may appear when opening the properties of a network connection in the Network Connections folder. It's possible that Registry settings for the network connection may be damaged.

Solution: Click Start, Run, and type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\netshell.dll. Click OK and try again to open the properties for the affected network connection. If it still doesn't work, click Start, Run, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\ole32.dll, click OK, and then restart the computer and try to open the properties for the network connection.

yes it is xp pro with sp2

peat moss
07-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Have you tryed calling your ISP and while sitting at the computer have then walk you thru the solution ?

Some are pretty good , make you feel stoopid sometimes but may correct it for you free of charge .

mikeco
07-18-2006, 01:31 AM
my ISP sucks balls... when i had problems with my internet been cut off everytime the phone rang they tryed to blame it on sky :huh: even tho that isnt connected to the phoneline...

im sure there reply will be "contact microsoft"

truetejas
07-18-2006, 01:52 AM
Dunno if this will help, but you know your system is missing files, so you will have to add them back one way or another. I would try these steps in the following order:

1. Instead of clicking on "properties" for the connection, click on "repair" in the popup menu (I assume you have already done this, but I had to mention it).

2. Delete the connection and re-establish your network settings from the ground up. You might even have to remove your network card to remove all settings. Then just reinstall your network. (if the files are still missing from the CD when you reinstall, write down the names of the ones that are missing).

3. Lastly, (and I would avoid this option at all costs, but it is worth a try if you are looking at a complete reinstall of your whole box) use the Recovery Console. There are tuts for using it, here is one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/

Good luck.

mikeco
07-18-2006, 02:21 AM
cant get the repair box up eather :P

and iv just tryed uninstalling all the devices and reinstalling but still nothing.

i think ill be spending another few hours tomorrow reinstalling shit... great :@

Chewie
07-18-2006, 06:55 AM
Repair install:
Boot with the XP CD again and at the first prompt tell it you want to install Windows (NOT repair using the Recovery Console).
Hit F8 at the license agreement.
It'll ask you if you want to repair the current Windows installation, so say yes.

This will put back Windows itself to it's initial state, but installed programs will still be there together with your files. You'll need to download any Windows updates again, though.

If setup has trouble copying files, write them down and google them once you're back online.

mikeco
07-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Repair install:
Boot with the XP CD again and at the first prompt tell it you want to install Windows (NOT repair using the Recovery Console).
Hit F8 at the license agreement.
It'll ask you if you want to repair the current Windows installation, so say yes.

This will put back Windows itself to it's initial state, but installed programs will still be there together with your files. You'll need to download any Windows updates again, though.

If setup has trouble copying files, write them down and google them once you're back online.

i tryed that last night didnt see that screen it was just asking me where to install shit.

but, its working now i had to remove the ide drive :blink:

mikeco
07-18-2006, 09:44 AM
ok i think its working now... was able to see properties in safe mode...

but if i try to go in windows normaly i just get blue screen :cry: and it goes to fast to see what it says...

k i got it to stop restarting heres the error shit:
0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xb9f78184, 0xbad02d3c, 0xbad02a38)

google says nothing on that...

edit:

ok all fixed after been pissed off for hours :ermm:

went in safe mode and reinstalled the graphics card drivers to fix the blue screen...:ermm: