PDA

View Full Version : help me if you can

venom666
07-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Ok I have a 40GB hard drive and I just got a new 160GB hard drive, I need to know if there is any way to merge them into one single 200GB hard drive? I am running windows XP.

clocker
07-19-2006, 11:33 PM
No, there isn't.
Why would you want to anyway?

peat moss
07-20-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm thinking I real noOb question but if shows on your computer as C: 40 gb and D: 160 mb what 's the difference ? You have two HDD so make the larger one the master the smaller one slave for music or photos ,things you want to keep .

Welcome by the way Venom 666 , oh shit with a nick like that don't what to make enemas . JK :)

lynx
07-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Yes, it's quite easy if you make both drives dynamic. You can then give the non-system drive a mount point on the system drive (effectively a folder) rather than a drive letter.

However, if you want to break that relationship later you could have big problems so it really isn't worth the hassle. Better to follow the advice of peat moss.

peat moss
07-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Yes, it's quite easy if you make both drives dynamic. You can then give the non-system drive a mount point on the system drive (effectively a folder) rather than a drive letter.

However, if you want to break that relationship later you could have big problems so it really isn't worth the hassle. Better to follow the advice of peat moss.

So his member name scared you too ? :lol: What you posted lynx I didn't know , but I hate to discourage new members from posting .

That's why I always enjoyed reading this forum , you learn so much . :)

gevorg
07-25-2006, 06:51 AM
You can do it through RAID 0. :)

venom666
07-26-2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the help and I am a real nice guy but I am a very head strong so thats why everyone calls me venom.

venom666
07-26-2006, 03:53 AM
So would it be better for me to format the HD with the operating system on it and then make the larger HD the master and put the operating system on that then make the smaler HD the slave.

zapjb
07-26-2006, 04:37 AM
No just the opposite. OS on 40GB as master. And 160GB storage & slave.

gamer4eva
07-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I know just bash it a couple of times and it should do what you want it to do. I do that when my burner dies on me. I kick it and the next time i burn it i have no problems.

venom666
07-29-2006, 11:10 PM
So what you are saying is that I can't make the larger HD have the OS, but the smaller on is very slow. Is the larger HD the wrong kind it's a EIDE HD. Would it not work if I made the larger HD the os if I formate the Smaller HD. Or can I get just take the smaller HD out and just use the larger HD I already have a 80GB external HD for my music.

lynx
07-29-2006, 11:59 PM
So what you are saying is that I can't make the larger HD have the OS, but the smaller on is very slow. Is the larger HD the wrong kind it's a EIDE HD. Would it not work if I made the larger HD the os if I formate the Smaller HD. Or can I get just take the smaller HD out and just use the larger HD I already have a 80GB external HD for my music.You can do any of those options.

You don't even have to re-install if you want to make the 160GB drive the master, simply use Ghost or Partition magic to clone the partition onto the other drive.

However, I doubt that's going to give you much improvement in performance.
If you want better performance you should move the virtual memory to the drive which is NOT the system drive.