PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use bit torrent

vans12
07-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Hey, I am just woundering why all of you guys use torrents when you could use news groups and max out your connection all the time every time. Also with news groups you dont need to upload, so you dont have to worry about someone taking all your upload bandwith. Their is a whole bunch of diffrent reson of why to use news groups, here is a guide for any one that wants to learn how to use them http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

PooBar
07-20-2006, 09:51 AM
why would'nt you use bit torrent ,its free and its fast ..you get all the 0day stuff and easy to use ..all i need these days is bit torrent..

gamer4eva
07-20-2006, 09:56 AM
The question should by why not use bittorrents.....they are good to get your stuff easily and easy to use!!! I got tom admit though using newsgroups and stuff makes life a lot easier.

Zafer
07-20-2006, 12:01 PM
1 ) " Never pay for File Sharing! "
2 ) I like sharing/seeding. ;)

RudeYute
07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Usenet is good when you 'share' your account, lol.
If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't use it... too many expenses atm.

BT is good to fill in gaps, and if you are a member of a decent private tracker, you will be able to max out on that too.

mcdondon
07-20-2006, 03:05 PM
yes i agree get on a good tracker and you will see the differance......

vans12
07-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Usenet is good when you 'share' your account, lol.
If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't use it... too many expenses atm.

BT is good to fill in gaps, and if you are a member of a decent private tracker, you will be able to max out on that too.

This maybe the case some times but BT does not max out your connection everytime, with BT you have to rely on the peers to have good upload. On news groups you dont have to worry about any of the peers. Also news groups are a lot safer because you are not boardcasting your ip to all the peers, you just have the connection to the news group server, that is worth something.

RealitY
07-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey, I am just woundering why all of you guys use torrents when you could use news groups and max out your connection all the time every time. Also with news groups you dont need to upload, so you dont have to worry about someone taking all your upload bandwith. Their is a whole bunch of diffrent reson of why to use news groups, here is a guide for any one that wants to learn how to use them http://www.slyck.com/ng.php
We also have a guide here on the site...
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=69159

citizenblue
07-20-2006, 06:29 PM
The only reason i don't use usenet is because i would have to pay for it.

vans12
07-20-2006, 07:44 PM

This is false, most ISP provider a server that you can use. Besides even if you get a paid account from newshosting or some where it is 100% worth it. I mean i pay $15 a month to max out my connection and it is safe because no one else knows my ip, other then the server.

jonesad24
07-20-2006, 08:01 PM
I have used ng's in the past but i dont think it was worth the £15 per month for it, by the time the files became available on the news servers i had already downloaded them, so the speed issue is irravelent...

Also not sure about the us but in the uk most isp don't support news group's...

FTP is the best if you can find someone willing to let you in...

Damnatory
07-20-2006, 08:20 PM
I have used ng's in the past but i dont think it was worth the £15 per month for it, by the time the files became available on the news servers i had already downloaded them, so the speed issue is irravelent...

Not sure what you are talking about, new releases and especially scene releases always hit newsgroups before they make it to torrent index sites. The speed issue isn't so irrelivent in the aspect that you want to watch something, you download it, and watch it 15 minutes later, no strings attached. No waiting for peers to grab, no waiting 3 days for your ratio to get back up so you can actually use your connection for anything aside from web surfing.

Most US ISP's not only support, but offer Usenet access. The service is severely lacking compared to the performance that of a pay usenet server, but it's free with the account.

Whats not worth $15 a month? You have to consider, if you download ONE cd, which will only take you about one minute, will have paid for itself one minute after you've payed for it.

jonesad24
07-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Not sure what you are talking about, new releases and especially scene releases always hit newsgroups before they make it to torrent index sites. The speed issue isn't so irrelivent in the aspect that you want to watch something, you download it, and watch it 15 minutes later, no strings attached. No waiting for peers to grab, no waiting 3 days for your ratio to get back up so you can actually use your connection for anything aside from web surfing.

Most US ISP's not only support, but offer Usenet access. The service is severely lacking compared to the performance that of a pay usenet server, but it's free with the account.

Whats not worth $15 a month? You have to consider, if you download ONE cd, which will only take you about one minute, will have paid for itself one minute after you've payed for it.

What part of my post did i say i used torrents to d/l scene release's?

I will use torrent to d/l certain things, but new movies and games will be done by ftp.

tetrakis
07-20-2006, 10:06 PM

it's clear why most of us don't use usenet. It isn't free! This business of using your isp built-in newserver is garbage...they always have limits and I don't know about you, but i don't want Comcast having a clear record of what i'm downloading. Does it suck that my ip is broadcasted using bittorrent? Yes, but the risk is minimal if you use private trackers. As far as the speed difference or pretimes...c'mon, very little difference between the two. Just my 2 centz

Dedalus^
07-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Well, i like BitTorrent cuz its fairly simple to use... and its free.
I don't see the need to spend extra money to max out my connection, cuz for me, 280KB/s is good enough =P (i think my max is like 385KB/S with newsgroups).

And lol i dont have time to figure out newsgroups.. ie. read the guides.
LOL maybe one day when i'm waiting for a download to finish, I'll get enough motivation to figure it all out.

j0hn
07-20-2006, 11:22 PM
1 ) " Never pay for File Sharing! "
2 ) I like sharing/seeding. ;)

Never pay for File Sharing!
that my friend, is why i use bittorrent. its the best FREE way to download.

sear
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
@j0hn & Zafer I couldn't agree more.
Youv'e left me with nothing to say :D

tdao
07-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Because i like Sharing

fubusmaximus
07-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Why use Bittorrent? Why wouldn't you? It's incredibly effective and fast.

PooBar
07-23-2006, 11:01 AM
find a good tracker and you will max out your connection..have not used newsgroups ,but do they give you MByte fast downloads :?:

FreeDoom
07-23-2006, 03:47 PM
BT is very good if you're in a decent tracker and also for rare stuff.
You take the most of Usenet if you have a fast connection because if you have only 3 or 4 Mbit, it's not worth because you can get that speeds in BT. Nonetheless Usenet is faster for new releases...

RealitY
07-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Fact is Usenet is faster. For those that havent tried it its worth a look into. We have a section on the site dedicated to it for those that what to check it out. Also a quick way to get started is to read the pin in at...
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=69159

<--LwA-->
07-23-2006, 06:35 PM
there are some rare things that you can only find in bit torrent................ also its fast......

justinius23
07-23-2006, 09:14 PM

This is false, most ISP provider a server that you can use. Besides even if you get a paid account from newshosting or some where it is 100% worth it. I mean i pay $15 a month to max out my connection and it is safe because no one else knows my ip, other then the server.

and what if the newshoster gets pressured by the r**a/m**a into revealing ip addresses and the like? (not very likely i know, but hypothetically possible)

in my opinion file-sharing can never be completely safe. if you're worried about it, don't do it.

oh, and back on topic, i like torrents because you can find a lot of stuff you can't get with newsgroups. i am sure the retention varies with each hoster, but i think i'm right in saying things only stay up for a certain amount of time?