PDA

View Full Version : iPod in Car

BawA
07-20-2006, 03:46 PM
hey did any1 tried connecting iPod to car Speakers thro FM channel?
basicly i saw one of my friends friend who has Honda Accord to connect his Ipod to his car speakers without any wire links, he just tuned to one of the channels on the FM and i think he tuned to Podcast on same frequency and was able to hear audio output from his car speakers. does anybody know what accutly was done to do that?

i checked THIS (http://ipodincar.net/guides.php) site and all of thier guides are to connect Ipod via Wires.

Barbarossa
07-20-2006, 03:58 PM
i got a handy little gizmo that pops into the cassette player of the car, and the other end is a headphone jack you can pop into a personal cd player, ipod, or any thing really so long as there's a headphone socket to plug it into.

It cost about £5 (€149.95) and works a treat. ;)

manker
07-20-2006, 04:02 PM
i got a handy little gizmo that pops into the cassette player of the car, and the other end is a headphone jack you can pop into a personal cd player, ipod, or any thing really so long as there's a headphone socket to plug it into.

Some car stereos still have cassette decks? lol

Barbarossa
07-20-2006, 04:03 PM

Some car ters ti

Those Duracells wore down damn fast :ermm:

Barbarossa
07-20-2006, 04:04 PM

Some car stereos still have cassette decks? lol

LOLZ, sadly, yes.

manker
07-20-2006, 04:04 PM
:pinch:

Barbarossa
07-20-2006, 04:06 PM
LOLZ, sadly, yes.

Anyone want a comma, I have plenty spare :pinch:

Proper Bo
07-20-2006, 04:47 PM
basicly i saw one of my friends friend who has Honda Accord to connect his Ipod to his car speakers without any wire links, he just tuned to one of the channels on the FM and i think he tuned to Podcast on same frequency and was able to hear audio output from his car speakers. does anybody know what accutly was done to do that?

i checked THIS (http://ipodincar.net/guides.php) site and all of thier guides are to connect Ipod via Wires.

an FM transmitter:dabs:

Buffalo
07-20-2006, 06:33 PM

the same as I use Dude!
Car Audio Cassette Adaptor, I got from eBay for £2.99.
I use in my home Hi-Fi as well as it don't play mp3 data disks :(

Great sound no probs at all, I use it on a Pro Line 256mb mp3 player

j2k4
07-20-2006, 09:10 PM

an FM transmitter:dabs:

Yeah, they're serviceable, but in a metro area you'll be whinging over changing frequencies constantly.

An eight-hour road trip will eat up a pair of AAs.

They are inexpensive, however.

I've got mine hard-wired, and it's faultless.

JPaul
07-20-2006, 09:14 PM
If you get the FM transmitter it will work in the car, through your home system, in fact any FM radio within it's range.

j2k4
07-20-2006, 09:22 PM
If you get the FM transmitter it will work in the car, through your home system, in fact any FM radio within it's range.

Good point, but I've found that if you're listening to any MP3 player, you desire better sound quality than doofus FM radios can reproduce, and you can probably buy 4-5 mini-plug/RCA inter-connects for the price of the transmitter, and be happier connecting directly.

This said, I prefer to have every capability available.

If you want to broadcast throughout your domicile, the FM broadcaster is quite handy...

Proper Bo
07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
They're also illegal in the UK:smilie4:

JPaul
07-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Really, are RF headphones also illegal then?

Proper Bo
07-20-2006, 09:37 PM

rod?:unsure:
no, they aren't.

JPaul
07-20-2006, 09:47 PM

rod?:unsure:
no, they aren't.
So what's the difference they both have a radio transmitter, if anything the headphone base unit has a greater range. If for no other reason it's mains and not battery powered.

Proper Bo
07-20-2006, 09:49 PM
They just haven't thought it thro' rly.

edit: what frequency do they transmit at?

JPaul
07-20-2006, 09:52 PM
They just haven't thought it thro' rly.

edit: what frequency do they transmit at?
I haven't a clue, you're the one that's saying they are illegal.

@j2 you can get car ones that plug into the fag lighter now. So batteries aren't an issue.

Proper Bo
07-20-2006, 09:53 PM
cawk, I meant rf headphones

Proper Bo
07-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Are they legal to use in the UK?

No. The use of all radio transmitter equipment in the UK requires either a licence under the Wireless Telegraphy (WT) Act 1949 or a specific licence exemption. These devices have neither.

The FM broadcast band (87.5 – 108 MHz) is used in the UK – and other European countries – for authorised, licensed broadcasting stations. Anyone else transmitting in this band without a licence is committing an offence under section 1(1) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act. There is presently no provision to licence iTrips or similar devices in the FM broadcast band.

Devices transmitting in the broadcast band have the potential to cause interference to people trying to listen to licensed stations. For example, a short range FM transmitter in a car could cause interference to those listening to broadcasts nearby..

JPaul
07-20-2006, 09:55 PM
cawk, I meant rf headphones
I haven't a clue what either use.

Are you saying the RF mp3 transmitters use an illegal one. Is that the point you are struggling to spit out.

j2k4
07-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Aren't headphones on 2.4G, or some such?

And the FM transmitters broadcast on (here, anyway) 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7, etc., in the FM range, natch.

Can't think why they'd be illegal anywhere, they are so weak...

JP-

I'd forgotten about the 12V broadcasters, thanks for the reminder. :)

JPaul
07-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Video senders, aren't they rf as well. Are they illegal.

Thanks for clarifying Bo's point by the way j2, he seemed to be struggling to get to it.

tesco
07-21-2006, 01:30 AM
I like the idea of the fm transmitter for ipods but really they don't work all that well i've found.
My friend has one that he was using during our driver's ed and it went fuzzy at times, plus drained the batteries quickly (well it was an ipod mini :idunno:) and I didn't think the sound was all that good but that might have been the stereo.

I like the tape deck idea (i have some of those things) but would rather hook it up directly with input on the stereo if that's available. :)

CELEBS
07-22-2006, 08:11 PM
its like pirate radio.

JPaul
07-22-2006, 08:43 PM
I just burn CDs and play them, via the gift of the CD player in the car.

CELEBS
07-22-2006, 11:31 PM
post cunt.