PDA

View Full Version : RAM question

Seedler
07-21-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading to 2 gigs of ram due to heavy gaming, so I was wondering what kind of ram I should get.

Specs are in sig, and I was just wondering if I had to get the same brand or model (OCz performance series 2x512mb) that I have right now? Or can I go for something better and different?

And what will be performance gain when I get 2 gigs? would it be noticable as in giving me better windows response rate and better FPS?:blink:

Thx in advance.

Seedler
07-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh righty budget is around $150 CAD, best to keep things around $100 CAD.

Guyver
07-21-2006, 09:58 PM
If you want to buy new ram, at 2 gigs youll need 200$+

or add another gig thats in your price range, you should get the same make too.

Seedler
07-22-2006, 01:39 AM
If you want to buy new ram, at 2 gigs youll need 200$+

or add another gig thats in your price range, you should get the same make too.

No I meant I want to add 1 gig, so do I really have to buy that crappy OCz "performance" ram again?:pinch:

Virtualbody1234
07-22-2006, 02:05 AM
If you're going to add to what you already have then get the same thing. There's no point in getting anything faster. It will run at whatever is the slowest in your system.

Seedler
07-22-2006, 02:38 AM
If you're going to add to what you already have then get the same thing. There's no point in getting anything faster. It will run at whatever is the slowest in your system.

doh.:pinch:

Should have invested in some better ram:frusty:

Fucking lagwhore 2.5-3-3-7 ram...:dry:

Appzalien
07-22-2006, 10:41 PM
That really depends on the overclockability of the ram you have now. If you see other ram with better ratings (2-3-3-6) first see if you can make the OCz run at that rating thru the bios. If its stable when running a high demand game then you know you will be able to use the settings of the new ram with the old. Even better you can run a memory tester to really give the OCz the shaft at those settings and see if it cuts the mustard.

Seedler
07-22-2006, 10:57 PM
That really depends on the overclockability of the ram you have now. If you see other ram with better ratings (2-3-3-6) first see if you can make the OCz run at that rating thru the bios. If its stable when running a high demand game then you know you will be able to use the settings of the new ram with the old. Even better you can run a memory tester to really give the OCz the shaft at those settings and see if it cuts the mustard.

Thx, but I doubt my crappy ram will be able to handle overclocking very well, I mean the break down the rams into different grades for a reason...:(

GOHARD
07-23-2006, 06:22 AM
try overclocking it, if you fry the mem atleast it gives you an excuse to get new ram

lynx
07-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Or just smash it to bits with a big hammer, that too will give you an excuse to buy more ram. :dry:

Seedler
07-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Or just smash it to bits with a big hammer, that too will give you an excuse to buy more ram. :dry:

Or just smash every single PC I see that doesn't at least have a 7900GTX, RAID 0 config, or 2 gigs of low latency ram. That will just about give everyone an excuse to buy hawter PCs.:naughty:

bigdawgfoxx
07-23-2006, 06:51 PM
That ram doesnt seem that bad man...I dont think a 2-3-3-6 would make much diff.

Smith
07-24-2006, 02:44 AM
Instead of buying another gig of ram to add onto the gig you have, why not trash your current ram and buy some really good stuff.

FreeDoom
07-24-2006, 02:58 AM
Instead of buying another gig of ram to add onto the gig you have, why not trash your current ram and buy some really good stuff.

That's right.
How about G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) CL2 - about $210
Pretty good mem's i tell you

Sell your's and you could buy this kit :)

Appzalien
07-24-2006, 03:34 PM
I read in the PC mags that when ram is tested its pushed to the limit and then backed up before setting the SPD. The same article said the manufactures always step back further than they have to, so its save to assume any memory thats a 3 will go to 2.5 with no problems and a 2.5 will go to 2 the same. The other numbers settings are iffy, but my experience showed me the first and last numbers can be changed a little with no problems.

If you change your memory timmings in the bios to 2-3-3-6 you will not fry your memory, the system could be come unstable (blue screens) but the memory would not fry. Changing the memories voltages is what fries memory.

Seedler
07-24-2006, 06:29 PM

That's right.

Yes, but my budget is <$150:( .

FreeDoom
07-24-2006, 11:47 PM
That's right.

Yes, but my budget is <$150:( .

Including the $ you would get from selling your memory? :(
If that's the case, then the best you can do is buy another 2X512 to add to your system...

clocker
07-25-2006, 01:16 AM
If that's the case, then the best you can do is buy another 2X512 to add to your system...
Which would be even slower.
nForce4 boards have a very hard time time running all four DIMM slots at 1T- most likely it would default down to 2T, a small hit but a hit just the same.

Seedler
07-25-2006, 02:22 AM
nForce4 boards have a very hard time time running all four DIMM slots at 1T- most likely it would default down to 2T, a small hit but a hit just the same.

:pinch: Does that mean I'm stuck with my 1gig if I don't play to invest majorly?:cry:

Guyver
07-25-2006, 02:58 AM
Go mow some lawns seedler:P, get more money, buy new ram.

FreeDoom
07-25-2006, 03:21 AM

Oh i forgot that lol :frusty: (and have nf4 board) :pinch:
So the way is geting money and buy 2x1GB :P

Virtualbody1234
07-25-2006, 07:33 AM
Doesn't it make a difference if the RAM sticks have modules on both or 1 side (double or single sided)?

clocker
07-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Doesn't it make a difference if the RAM sticks have modules on both or 1 side (double or single sided)?
I'm not sure as I've only tried running 4x512MB a few times and had no luck getting 1T enabled.
This may be down to the memory controller on the CPU and not the board actually...I can't really afford to experiment too much on customer builds- they have to work right off the bat or we're losing money on R&D.
Over the past year or so we've come up with a few platform combinations that seem to be quite stable so I don't vary from the formula much.

Of course, Conroe and AM2 have changed everything but it will be a while before my clientele realizes they even exist so I have some time to read up and see what's what.

For now my standard recommendation is that if you want two GB of RAM on a s939 motherboard it's best to run two 1GB modules instead of 4x512.

Virtualbody1234
07-25-2006, 04:14 PM
My understanding is that if single sided sticks are used then there's no slowdown issues with the nForce4 chipset.

Seedler
07-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Doh, I guess I'll just save up for a new rig then...:no:

clocker
07-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Doh, I guess I'll just save up for a new rig then...:no:
Yeah, your current rig is kinda puny.
/sarcasm

Seedler
07-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Yeah, your current rig is kinda puny.
/sarcasm

It is one year old...:no2:

Won't run things on max or even close to it anymore.:(

With dualcore prices dropping like crazy, I'm pished off and kinda wish I should have waited.:mellow: