PDA

View Full Version : Bit Of A Strange Problem

amphoteric88
05-04-2003, 02:01 AM
Ok, i'm having a problem with my dvd drive
simply put, my dvd drive spits out discs while they're still spinning
if i have a disc in the drive and press eject while it's still spinning, the dvd drive ejects the disc immediately without braking it to a halt.
i'm a bit worried about this because i fear it'll eject a disc which will come out and hit me, or it may scratch the discs
i cannot find the brand of drive, it's not printed on the drive and the name is not listed in device manager
i have also tried looking in belarc, but to no avail
any help would be great, but i fear i will be forced to buy a new drive :(
thanks in advance

Spindulik
05-04-2003, 03:05 AM
Wow. I have no answer for you. Sorry.

Sounds like a cartoon scenerio... Disk flying out, hitting you.

amphoteric88
05-04-2003, 03:56 AM
yeah, if it was someone else in the same situation, i'd le laughing :lol:
but knowing i have to buy a new drive, i'm not :(

Darth Sushi
05-04-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by amphoteric88@4 May 2003 - 03:01
Ok, i'm having a problem with my dvd drive
simply put, my dvd drive spits out discs while they're still spinning
if i have a disc in the drive and press eject while it's still spinning, the dvd drive ejects the disc immediately without braking it to a halt.
i'm a bit worried about this because i fear it'll eject a disc which will come out and hit me, or it may scratch the discs
i cannot find the brand of drive, it's not printed on the drive and the name is not listed in device manager
i have also tried looking in belarc, but to no avail
any help would be great, but i fear i will be forced to buy a new drive :(
thanks in advance
1st, look for the model number printed on the label of the drive (you'll have to open you PC). Use that model number to do a google search. You can also goto this site (CLICK HERE) (http://www.firmware.fr.st/). This is the mother of all DVD drive firmware site to make you DVD drive region free. You can use the model number and search here to ID your drive. If a firmware is available, you can use it to update you DVD drive and hopefully, it will also fix your problem. WARNING: updating the firmware is like updating the BIOS. If the update fails, you'll have an expensive paperweight instead of a DVD drive. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! Also, the firmware change will void your warranty!

amphoteric88
05-04-2003, 04:20 AM
yeah, someone already suggested updating the firmware, but as you say, it's a bit risky
i'll just have to make do with a crazy drive until i can buy a new one
i'm getting a new gpu first though
and some more ram
and a soundcard
and a faster cd-rw drive
and... :D