PDA

View Full Version : To many Running Processes...please help!

KilikDraven
07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
My Cpu is running way to high. please tell me what to get rid of and how:

cidaemon.exe
pavproxy.exe
mpfagent.exe
mim.exe
nmbgmonitor.exe
ctfmon.exe
apvxdwin.exe
mcvsescn.exe
mmdiag.exe
mpftray.exe
mcagent.exe
oasclnt.exe
mcvsshld.exe
point32.exe
mm_tray.exe
jusched.exe
iexplore.exe
explorer.exe
spoolsv.exe
taskmr.exe
svchost.exe
avengine.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
svchost.exe
wdfmgr.exe
alf.exe
pavsrv51.exe
smss.exe
pavfires.exe
mpfservice.exe
mdm.exe
mctskshd.exe
mcshield.exe
mcdetect.exe
cisvc.exe
system
system idle process

tesco
07-25-2006, 08:14 PM
What process is using the most CPU?

Chewie
07-25-2006, 11:24 PM
At least 9 of those are McAfee. Uninstall it and install either:
- Kaspersky Internet Security for AV and firewall, or
- Kaspersky or NOD32 AV with Outpost firewall.

After that, google each process in turn using it's full filename (eg nmbgmonitor.exe).
Make sure you set Google preferences to not filter your results.
Anything that turns up zero results is almost certainly a generated name from some form of malware.

gamer4eva
07-26-2006, 12:29 AM
When i remove processes i remove:-
mm_tray.exe
jusched.exe
ctfmon.exe

I have others that i have that are different well because i run different apps anyway these three are useless to me....the way i see it you just remove the ones that wont show no effects to ur pc!! And the ones u cant stop will have like a you cannot stop proccess or something....these are windows processes i suppose....

zapjb
07-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Thats way too many processes. I only have 21 processes running. I use Prio. Ymmv. But it'll tell you what each process is. I'd take the suggestion to get rid of Mc*f**. Then I'd get rid of some processes & make other processes ondemand not autostart.
http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html

peat moss
07-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Why do you say that ? Hard to tell what you mean from your post Kdraven . How much memory do you have , do you defrag , clean temp files or at least practise good maintenance ?

Maybe its just a matter of of checking what programs are loading at start up , for example I have Steam Exe. running but leave it for my son when he starts his game . Do I need it no , its using so little mem usage { 4.904 k } that I ignore it .

I'm just curious why you asked . :)

Black Viper is still away but found a link :
http://web.archive.org/web/20041128084144/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

digmen1
07-26-2006, 01:51 AM
I Use Hi-jackThis http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip
It prints a nice list of the processes running and divides them up into groups.
I print it once a month so I can see what is new and then I can decide if it sounds like something I have installed in the last month or so.

I also use CtrlStartup. www.mlin.net by Mike Lin
This allows you to temprorarily disable any processes you are not sure of, for say a month then you could delete them using HiJack This

Regards

Digby

FreeDoom
07-26-2006, 03:25 AM
I would advise you to disable some of that processes. Go to Start>Run>msconfig and disable what you think you don't need.

For example, i looked at your list and searched about "mim.exe", this was what i've found
Often i find it using a HIGH percentage of my CPU, even though I'm not using MusicMatch

Bad huh? :blink: