PDA

View Full Version : Computer turns on Monitor Doesn't

imasoldier
07-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Ok so I was going to sell a computer that worked perfectly fine. I carefully moved it on the table to take pictures. After I had set it all up on ebay and paid the fees. I turned on the computer for my brother to get on to find out that the monitor stays on stand by. I've tested it on 2 working monitors and I get the same thing. I looked inside, I even took every part out and inspected it. There was nothing that looked wrong. The computer had been working for the last 6 months. I don't see how it could just die out like this. Anyone got any ideas other than buying a whole new computer?

harrycary
07-25-2006, 11:31 PM
If the monitor doesn't power on, try another video card if possible. That is where the monitor gets the 5 volt signal allowing it to power up.

It's entirely possible your video card has failed. Electronics are funny that way and can fail at anytime, for no apparent reason.

(you paid a fee to post something for sale on Ebay? curious)

FreeDoom
07-26-2006, 03:48 AM
There's any beep after you push the power button?
Most probably it's the videocard but could be other things: ram making bad contact...

imasoldier
07-26-2006, 06:21 AM
HarryCarry- It costs money to put items up to ebay like 3 bucks just depending on how much you put on there.

Bodygard- Ram is completely secure. I took it out and put it back in. And no it doesn't beep anymore for some reason. It could be the graphics card, but I don't have another right now to test it. The comptuer I'm using now is AGP and the other computer is using PCI-E.

Edit: I put the ram into my other computer and it works fine so it isn't that.

T0TAL-RECALL
07-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Remove GPU and place in another available slot... I have had to do this on my older AGP based GPUs before... Something to do with the slot assignement code gets conflicted with others and wont respond moving the card out to another slot should fix it and then both slots will work again.

FreeDoom
07-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Well it could be also one of this 2 things:
Power Supply
Short to the case

It could be the power supply. It doesn't always mean the psu is working properly, even if it seems to power up.

About short to the case, if you have the chance, take the mobo out of the case, place on antistatic bag (plug gfx card, mem, cpu, hdd, monitor) and power it up like that. If that works then there is a short to the case somewhere.
It could be:
1- a brass spacer is touching the end of a component on the underside of the mobo.
2- a brass spacer in the wrong place shorting the underside of a ram slot.
3- the head of a screw shorting 2 pins on an ic.

By moving the pc this could've happened...

imasoldier
07-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Thanks Bodygard I will try this tommorow and update what happens hopefully its just a short. What if I just placed eveything on a table or just the carpet? I don't have any antistatic plastic.

FreeDoom
07-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks Bodygard I will try this tommorow and update what happens hopefully its just a short. What if I just placed eveything on a table or just the carpet? I don't have any antistatic plastic.

Put it on a table with some paper under for example. The ideal was a wrist strap right into the ground but as you probably don't have one, remember to touch you case from time to time while your're mounting the system and should be fine.

imasoldier
07-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Yes I touch the case all the time because I don't have a wrist strap. Anyways I took everything out as you said, but there was no use it didn't work. Only thing I can think of is buying a new PSU and or GPU.

gamer4eva
07-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi i think it is the graphics card because it happened to my friend where the computer loaded but the monitor did not. He purchased a new card and it was working perfectly.

Virtualbody1234
07-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Try clearing the CMOS.

FreeDoom
07-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Yes I touch the case all the time because I don't have a wrist strap. Anyways I took everything out as you said, but there was no use it didn't work. Only thing I can think of is buying a new PSU and or GPU.

If didn't work, you have the answer -> new vídeo card 99% sure.
Try clearing CMOS like Virtualbody1234 said if doesn't work then it's the vídeo card.

imasoldier
07-27-2006, 09:01 PM
I tried to clear the Cmos today, didn't work. So I'm just going to buy a video card off newegg. I wanted to sell the computer not spend more money lol but ohwell.

Virtualbody1234
07-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Don't you have some spare parts from another PC to test before buying parts?

I would try another power supply first.

Also, if you try starting the PC without a video card installed, it should beep a code for no GPU.

mike45450
07-27-2006, 10:20 PM
I had the exact same problem a few months back. Turned out my processor f'ed up, so we got a new one (well, technically it's worse than the old one....long story) and it worked fine after. Have you tried swapping CPUs?

fifth_horseman
07-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Get a working second-hand PCI video card (no, not PCI-E; ye olde PCI dinosaur with 1 to 8 MB of memory will do).
Take out your AGP card, put in the PCI card and see if the machine starts up.
That's what I did when I had problems with mine.

imasoldier
07-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Well this Saturday I am leaving with the family to Universal Studios in Orlando so I won't be able to buy new parts untill I get back which will take about a week. Also after rewiring the whole entire thing. I'm pretty sure I did it right. The front of the case LED had a Red light on with the Green LED flashing, but after a minute the red light would turn off and the green one would keep flashing. Does this mean anything?

lynx
07-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Also after rewiring the whole entire thing. I'm pretty sure I did it right.Was that before or after these problems started? If before, I suggest that maybe you didn't get it quite right.

The front of the case LED had a Red light on with the Green LED flashing, but after a minute the red light would turn off and the green one would keep flashing. Does this mean anything?They almost certainly mean something, but without knowing what they are connected to it is difficult to say what. The red light is probably the HDD activity light, if so it seems to be behaving correctly. However, I don't know why the green light should blink. Did it do that before?

If it doesn't beep, then it almost certainly isn't performing POST, which means the problem is probably not the graphics card but more likely the mobo.

gamer4eva
07-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Just buy some 32MB agp card of ebay they really cheap!!

Virtualbody1234
07-28-2006, 12:59 PM
If it doesn't beep, then it almost certainly isn't performing POST, which means the problem is probably not the graphics card but more likely the mobo.
Or the power supply.

lynx
07-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Or the power supply.I figured that if the HDD light is operating correctly then the PSU is probably ok, but yes, it's still a possibility.

FreeDoom
07-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Or the power supply.I figured that if the HDD light is operating correctly then the PSU is probably ok, but yes, it's still a possibility.

I thought that too but don't know if he has the possibility to test another PSU in the system.
That HP, Dell and others most of the time have a not so good psu and he's got a 6800 card that needs some "juice"...

harrycary
07-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow, when reading all the posts after mine, it seems everyone is overthinking the problem. In my experience with troubleshooting, the first thing to do is elminate the possibilities. (especially the simple ones)
So, I'll repeat my first post, check the video card first.
Afterall, the 5 volt signal which allows a monitor to power-on comes from it.
Swapping out a cheap card takes just a few minutes and will either pinpoint the problem or lead you in the direction to look for the problem.

Clearing the CMOS...CPU issues, I don't see how any of those can cause such a symptom in the first place. This is a power issue and they have nothing to do with providing [electrical] power to a graphics card(and consequently to the monitor).

bikejumpr2020
07-31-2006, 11:11 PM
i had a cpu tht did tht what i did was kick the shit of of the side of it until it would turn off then i would turn it back on and it worked, i had to do this several times. haha

tesco
07-31-2006, 11:53 PM
i had a cpu tht did tht what i did was kick the shit of of the side of it until it would turn off then i would turn it back on and it worked, i had to do this several times. hahaYou kicked a cpu?:huh: