PDA

View Full Version : Fridge Related Accountant Type Question

DorisInsinuate
07-25-2006, 11:03 PM
My parents have a really old fridge-freezer, I think it's from the '70s.

If they replaced it with a fancy dan, modern, energy saving one, how much savings can they expect on their electricity bills?

manker
07-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Fiver a year, possibly - nay - probably more.

DorisInsinuate
07-25-2006, 11:25 PM
So, a new refreezerator wouldn't pay itself off too quickly :dabs:

Virtualbody1234
07-25-2006, 11:28 PM
It would help with the calculations if you could tell us how much the both consume.

And how much your electricity costs per kwh.

manker
07-25-2006, 11:28 PM
So, a new refreezerator wouldn't pay itself off too quickly :dabs:
To be fair, I have no idea. Maybe ask one of those annoying interweb people.

They know everything.

manker
07-25-2006, 11:29 PM
tell us how much the both consume.:blink:

Virtualbody1234
07-25-2006, 11:31 PM
tell us how much the both consume.:blink:
Sorry. Tell us how much they both consume.

manker
07-25-2006, 11:35 PM
:blink:
Irritating when someone does that, isn't it. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1402153&postcount=6)

You know, post a :blink: smiley when they quite clearly know exactly what you meant. Particularly if English isn't your first language, like.

DorisInsinuate
07-25-2006, 11:35 PM
It would help with the calculations if you could tell us how much the both consume.

And how much your electricity costs per kwh.
Well, I can't say how much electrickery the funky '70s fridged-frozer consumes quantifiably, but, it makes lots of humming noises and it makes ice at the back of the fridge part on the lowest setting. It would fit about twelve medium sized chickens and it has little trays for green shit.

My mum always moans about her electric bill, so I would say it costs a lot per kwah-huh?.

Virtualbody1234
07-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Irritating when someone does that, isn't it. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1402153&postcount=6)

You know, post a :blink: smiley when they quite clearly know exactly what you meant. Particularly if English isn't your first language, like.
Not irritating. Helpful.

Thanks for pointing out my typo.

manker
07-25-2006, 11:45 PM

Not irritating. Helpful.

Thanks for pointing out my typo.
To normal people, it's irritating.

You'll just have to take my word for it, weirdo.

thewizeard
07-26-2006, 06:19 AM
..as a child :) my parents use to have an Electrolux fridge it didn't use electricity...but gas.. a small gas flame did the work.. can anyone else remember those gas fridges?

Guillaume
07-26-2006, 06:48 AM
Yep. Used one last week.
Useful when you go to a place without electricity (cabin in the woods and the like). Also entertaining when drunk at 5 in the morn and trying to work out the physics of obtraining cold through using fire.

Barbarossa
07-26-2006, 09:03 AM
It would fit about twelve medium sized chickens and it has little trays for green shit.

You're supposed to kill the chickens before you put them in the freezer :fist:

To answer your question, I would say about 20-30 quid a year perhaps.

(but that's only a guess based on no actual facts or any knowledge about this subject whatsoever)

JPaul
07-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Please let us know the following in order to make a reasonable calculation on the power saving.

Power rating of old appliance.
Power rating of new appliance.
Ambient temperature of room.
Average food load,..
Frequency of shopping.
Average temperature of shopping when put in appliance.
Frequency of door opening.

Also you will have to bear in mind that any potential saving will have to be off-set against the deprecation the new item will have. Just use 25% as a reasonable amount for the first year. So if the appliance costs £160 (for ease) then allow £40 for that year. I suspect the saving will be less than that.

manker
07-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Just use 25% as a reasonable amount for the first year.Straight line or reducing balance. FFS, fridges last longer than four years and you can't just go changing convention in the middle of its lifespan willy nilly.

Mr JP Fugley
07-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Straight line or reducing balance. FFS, fridges last longer than four years and you can't just go changing convention in the middle of its lifespan willy nilly.

We have decided to depreciate fridges out of the books as soon as practical. That way we are not falsely inflating the value of the house by relying on the potential transfer fees of white goods.

It's tough, but makes more sence in the long run.

Rat Faced
07-27-2006, 08:42 PM
We have decided to depreciate fridges out of the books as soon as practical. That way we are not falsely inflating the value of the house by relying on the potential transfer fees of white goods.

It's tough, but makes more sence in the long run.

I think you should be more concerned with that Japanese Knotwood :snooty:

Mr JP Fugley
07-27-2006, 08:47 PM
I think you should be more concerned with that Japanese Knotwood :snooty:

it's the knotweed you need to worry about, that's the big probem. and it's going nowhere.

Rat Faced
07-27-2006, 08:59 PM
I stand corrected..

I was closer than i thought i was to the species name though :lol:

Mr JP Fugley
07-27-2006, 09:04 PM
i think it's the same thing actually

Rat Faced
07-27-2006, 09:19 PM
I've always wondered why we dont send it to parts of Africa...

It grows 2-4 inches a day, the shoots are edible, it stabilises the soil and can survive and grow in drought conditions...

Seems ideal for parts of Ethiopia etc...

Mr JP Fugley
07-27-2006, 09:38 PM
I've always wondered why we dont send it to parts of Africa...

It grows 2-4 inches a day, the shoots are edible, it stabilises the soil and can survive and grow in drought conditions...

Seems ideal for parts of Ethiopia etc...

probly cause it would harm the indiginous vegetation.:blink:

Rat Faced
07-27-2006, 09:43 PM
There is still some?

I'm sure you know what i mean...

As the soil is destabilising due to the droughts and encroaching desert.. plant this stuff to try and slow that process down... and possibly reverse it.

It's just also very fortunate that it grows very quickly (like i said 2-4 inches a DAY).. and it's edible.

Supposed to taste quite nice.. like almonds I believe.

I quite understand that there would be problems after a few years, but its the only type of case I can think of that planting the stuff may actually cure more problems (and save quite a few lives) that it causes.

Mr JP Fugley
07-27-2006, 09:48 PM
i were joking

Biggles
07-27-2006, 10:22 PM
The old fridge will have a disposal cost rather than a realiseable residual value. It is almost certainly full of CFCs and new regulations require its safe disposal.

Assuming the new fridge consumes approximately 50% less power than the old one it will however (at Scottish Power electricity charges) pay for itself in about two weeks. :dry:

Mr JP Fugley
07-27-2006, 10:36 PM
The old fridge will have a disposal cost rather than a realiseable residual value.

typical bean counter, know the price of everything and the value of nowt.

fridges are people too.

manker
07-28-2006, 09:01 AM
The old fridge will have a disposal cost rather than a realiseable residual value. It is almost certainly full of CFCs and new regulations require its safe disposal.With all due respect, mate. That's a completely uninformed, specious and pish statement.

The fridge isn't a business asset but belongs to two people from the UK who can simply take the fridge to the nearest council dump and they'll dispose of it free of charge.

Personally, I'd go for a fifteen year lifespan with revaluations when the asset is at 2, 7 and 10 years old. People buy and sell fridges all the time in t'free-ads. It might pay you to keep an eye on the local market for this to correctly ascertain the realisable value of said asset when a revaluation is becoming due - because unless it's completely stopped working, its value will not be zero.

JPaul
07-28-2006, 09:39 AM
The fridge however may suffer a crippling injury, perhaps caused by an ill timed tackle. It is therefore a good idea to get it off the books a.s.a.p to better represent the value of the organisation.

manker
07-28-2006, 09:42 AM
http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/859/msneyebrow3rt.gif

Are you getting all William Perry on my ass.

JPaul
07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Nah, I've been analogising with Celtic's decision to remove the players value from the books. They didn't do it all at once but spread it over a few years.

manker
07-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Nah, I've been analogising with Celtic's decision to remove the players value from the books. They didn't do it all at once but spread it over a few years.
Ah, yeah, I think we spoke briefly about that before. Seems sensible.

Btw, it was almost like they'd removed the players from the pitch on Wednesday night - what with the ease that our second team ripped your firsts to shreds.

JPaul
07-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Ah, yeah, I think we spoke briefly about that before. Seems sensible.

Btw, it was almost like they'd removed the players from the pitch on Wednesday night - what with the ease that our second team ripped your firsts to shreds.

I'd love to say we were pish, but we never reached those heady heights. Let's be honest that wasn't even your second team.

Biggles
07-28-2006, 10:08 PM
The old fridge will have a disposal cost rather than a realiseable residual value. It is almost certainly full of CFCs and new regulations require its safe disposal.With all due respect, mate. That's a completely uninformed, specious and pish statement.

The fridge isn't a business asset but belongs to two people from the UK who can simply take the fridge to the nearest council dump and they'll dispose of it free of charge.

Personally, I'd go for a fifteen year lifespan with revaluations when the asset is at 2, 7 and 10 years old. People buy and sell fridges all the time in t'free-ads. It might pay you to keep an eye on the local market for this to correctly ascertain the realisable value of said asset when a revaluation is becoming due - because unless it's completely stopped working, its value will not be zero.

See people that dump an old fridge on top of the pishy mattrass that always appears to come with a skip....that is you that is.

I think it fair to point out that said fridge is 30 years old and might well be deemed to be a liability rather than an asset. (although I wouldn't say that to the poor old codger's face - obviousement).